Hash, Inc. Forums

Kokubu Sachiko

This is based off of a beautifully lit photo of model Sachiko Kokubu. I still have more work to do on the hands, face, and cloth wrinkles, but it's mostly finished.

The hair, skin, and cloth are all rendered with reflections, though the bump maps on the skin diffuse them a bit. The ribs are the only major area that I used bump mapping to cheat actually modeling the form.

As always, any and all criticism is welcome.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu.html

Noah

this is an excellent image all around!

i couldn't find this particular photo anywhere, but i would have to say her actual eye openings seem too wide.

not every face is 5-eyes wide, but her eyes seem particularly large.

if you're not going for photorealism, then fuhgedaboutit.

really.. a surperb job!

-jon

• Admin

Bubblegum Crisis! Now you're talkin' :)

Great stuff there!

Looking at your stills makes me contemplate the pros and cons of detail in animation. It seems people work really hard to get 'perfect' images in stills that don't necessarily translate anything more to the moving animations.

There is a catch-22 I guess as stills for any successful production will probably be desired if for no other reason that to promote the animation.

What you've got thus far is awesome.

I hope you can post some animated shots as well.

Really looking forward to seeing your Rock Music video when it's fully complete! :)

Thanks for the great input! Your comments reinforce almost exactly what my wife told me last night. The eyes are definitly the next point I will revisit, as well as other areas in the face after that.

As for the Bubblegum Crisis, I alternate back and forth between modeling and animating. Currently I'm in a modeling mindset, but should be back into animating in November. I've posted some clips in the past, but my limited bandwidth usually shuts down my website for a day or so. I'll be happy to email some of them if your interested. I have about 35 seconds roughed out, but I've put very little effort into the character animation so far.

I'm at noah.brewer@amgreetings.com

Thanks, again!

Noah

Wow!!! Great, Great work. You may want to soften up the textues, she does have a slight plastic look, especially in the eyes area. I think you should make the girls look a little more ethnic for fun.

Try one that looks like Jessica Alba, Sophie Marceau, Jennifer Love Hewitt, or something like that. That would be an awesome addition to the film. Bascially I would just love to see you model someone like Jessica Alba, Angelina Jolie, Adriana Lima, Kim Smith, Summer Altice, or other distinctive looking girl as well. That would just look so nice!! HEHEHE Your so great of an artist!!! Post this on cgtalk.com as well. See if you make front page

Very nice image. I particularly like the feeling of motion even though it is not an animation.

My own nit-pick is about the thickness of the clothes. For some reason, the clothes does not seem to fit her. Like if they were too loose. It seems to have to do with the beveled thickness and the uneven borders.

Also I can understand why you used reflection for the skin. But the reflection kind of give her skin either a plastic look or a bronze look which is somewhat disturbing. Have you considered using reflection mapping with a very blured map?

Noah:

You have a great eye for female form.

Yves is right about the clothes. It seems weird, but they need to be tighter. Not gross, just like the waistband doesn't seem to give any indication as to why it would stay up. You don't need elastic like granny panties. Maybe take that bevel down to almost nothing and add a little cinch some place.

I would take a hard look from the elbows on down. If you need to add more splinage and another bone or two to smoth out that wrist roll, then do it. You can actually see the faceted edges on the right forearm and both wrists kind of seem flat and rubbery. The hands and fingers will also need a nother tweak pass to soften up the hard edges. She's got a little can of man hands I'm afraid. Are you using porcelain? Go ahead and do use it if you are not already. We don't need every last detail on her knees and fingers.

The bump texture is a little to pronounced. I think the color map is probably fine, but the bump map is giving her a textured feel that is akin to a longtime tanning bed abuser.

Nice work and thanks for sharing, Noah.