Hash, Inc. Forums

Lipsync clip for critique

NOTE: I originally posted this on page 3 of the "My first spline head" thread, but now think that may doom it to obscurity .... so here it is by itself.

Please take a look at this 10 second (2.6Mb - QT Sorenson 3) lipsync clip and fire away with suggestions. It's definitely time for some objective input!

Lighting and textures were not my main focus here. I just wanted to try my hand at lipsync first, test my rig, and learn the interface.

http://www.scc.net/~mbs/lipsynctest16.mov

Also, I'd like to compress this further to get below the 1Mb file size limit so I can post it on this forum and not on a separate web page. What's the best format to use?

Well, I'm not seeing any technical errors in the animation. You're timing looks good. However, your animation is stronger at the end than in the beginning (after he turns his head to the camera). I think it's mostly the eyebrows. You might what to think about pushing his expressions a little bit farther. But that's just my opinion.

For compressions, I'd recommend the QuickTime MPEG4 audio and video compression set to medium (50%). The current release version actually compresses smaller than DivX can. Otherwise, I tend to use MPEG1 for all those non-QuickTime users out there, even thou I could get much better compression from an MPG4.mov. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Very nice work! :D The only two things that catch my eye is the "H" in have and the "F" in friends needs a little work on the lypsync. Other then that, keep up the good work, cheers.

EDIT I mean the "V" in have, not the "H". When you say "have", the bottom lip should touch the bottom of the top teeth.

Wow!! I agree with MATrickz, that is a stunning model. Maybe it`s enhanced by the monochrome image or something but I couldn`t help but view it over and over....

The lip synch looks almost perfect to me too apart from the small details already noted. Brilliant :)

My wife an dI looked at your STUNNING! clip. We have one observation. The first eye blink, and possibly the last one too, is too slow. The penultimate blink fits well with the voice track.

Everything is is so gorgeous, I am envious.

Gaetan

Thank you all for your input (both here and on the "spline head" thread).

I agree that the "V" and "F" forms need improvement on this one. As far as pushing the expressions more goes, you are all right there as well. I think what I'll do is start over with a much more dynamic soundtrack that has a broader range of emotions.

Anthony Hopkins' deadpan expressions were what I had in mind with the slow eyeblinks. Unfortunately, deadpan doesn't work well outside of the intended context (especially in a 10 second clip with no body or background). I should have been more selective, but was too anxious to get going.

Stay tuned for the new and improved, dynamic-guy lipsync..... Thanks again!