Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toon Look for McKnuckles...

3DArtZ

Hey guys, not sure if this is the best place to post this.... but I feel I have gotten the "new" look I was going for which is sort of a clean crisp toon feel.

Anyhows here's the link to a clip showing it..... Still trying to get myself reved up to start on a short that I wrote for McKnuckles, but that's another story....

http://www.3dartz.com/WIPs/McRunToon.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that the best of any toon look I have seen. Is there a simple way to explain how you got that look? Very Cool!

Hey All2Cool, thanks.

I spent a lot of time messing with the "toon with gradient" in the toon tab of the surface property.

I have 2 tick marks in the gradient slider.... 1 is all the way to the left as black and one is all the way to the right as white.

I pumped up the specularity size.

ON the skin I gave him a skin colored tone and added some ambient color as red with low intensity.

That's basically it. The toon render is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Okay, I took a little while this morning to threw together a new run cycle and did a quick preview render(without toon). I am going to do a full render with Blur and all that later today.

Spent sometime on the the channels to try and smooth out all the sharp channels a the begining and end of the loops data..... and have to say that the channels are easier to use than ever! Nice

http://www.3dartz.com/WIPs/McRun.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I honestly want to come up with some kind of crit for this but all I can do is sit here thinking how much I love how this looks and that you need to do more.

Beautiful work Mike!

Hey Thanks a lot MyFault!!! I think it looks clean..... maybe that's a good thing.

I have another action that I literally put together in 20 mins..... sometimes I feel if I don't think too much about what I'm doing, stuff comes out better.

There are still some areas that could use work, but if someone were only to see this clip quickly without being able to replay it it might get by without a problem.

I'm gonna touch up the channels if I get a chance.... I really think using the channels got easier for some reason....

Anyhows, a strut cycle.....

http://www.3dartz.com/WIPs/McTStrut.mov

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

[quote name=Mark' date='Oct 1 2004, 10:40 PM] Great work I am wondering how long have you been using AM? I am waiting for delivery of my copy and this is making my mouth water :P

Hey PFMark.... I wouldn't go so far to say I'm an old timer, as I am just a year into my 30s!!! but I have been using the software since about the mid to end of 1996.

Thanks for the reply! Welcome to the A:M community!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Looks great! You could always donate that material to a certain cd ;)

I always think Officer M needs a hat. He looks cold without it. :D

Hey Ken, thanks for the note!

I'm still debating what material would be appropriate to offer for donation to the CD.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Admin

Looking great from my perspective.

I don't know the storyline you're working toward but seeing your walk cycles makes me want to hunt down some old keystone cops films.

You've got it going on in your work.

If I had anything to suggest it might be opening and closing his hands a bit or other subtle secondary motion. Short of that though... Keep testing!

Someday I'd like to be able to do such things myself so I'm taking notes! ;)

Thanks for the reply rodney!

say, is that an accurate number? Do you have 2,404 posts?!?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

btw.... I had "cast shadows" turned off on the ground plane, that's why the toon lines are showing through the ground when the foot drops a touch below. OOps...