Hash, Inc. Forums

Fantasy Scene - "Faith Of Evil"

Hi guys, This scene was intended for the fantasy image contest but I had alot going on and could not complete it........ I will still finish it as intended; I thought I would share what I have so far...... Still alot more to add.....

the idea is to have ships attack the serpent........ so I will add explosions and lasers, crashed ships etc ...

thanks for viewing.......

post-7-1095322294.jpg

• Admin

Looking good Robert! I love that painterly feel you always add to your projects.

Truely inspirational.

That serpent is really neat...scary even! The spaceship looks a bit out of place but then again... I guess it is. After all, it is on a strange world being attacked by a huge serpent! I trust you and know you are going to do some great things and put your unique Darklimit touch on it all.

I'm really looking forward to your next update. :)

Thanks alot guys for your feedback..... I found that the other scene did not give me the look and feel I wanted.... I wanted more of a wasteland/ rocky/dusty type appearence.. SO am just doing some test renders to see what I come up with.....

what you think?

post-7-1096117447.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I still was not happy with the other renders I made; it just did not have the feeling and appearence I wanted..... So I re-worked the scene and now I have a render am pleased with..... It has the mood and look I want.....

here is an update......... let me know what you think...

post-7-1100166282.jpg

Looks good. I was going to suggest adding a huge moon or planet looming in the background, but you already did that in the last image. I would have to agree with Aminator and his suggestion on giving the image a dutch angle, kinda like the one you have in the second image.

Great work, as always.

You've taken some of the best elements from both scenes and this works well.

The atmos. around the creature and ships could maybe do with a little fog, but I suspect your planned explosions may make this unnecessary.

Keep posting, can't wait for the next image. B)

Guys thanks for the feedback it's really helpfull........

Bill - I will add the tilted CAM angle.......

mike - I was considering fog but like you said when I add the lazers and smoke etc there will be no need for it......

Julian - they were intended to be moons but then I got carried away.. I wanted an abstract approach to the scene..... But I will see what I can do with them.....

thanks for your time...

• 5 months later...

Hi guys I got some time to work on my fantasy scene..... I have done some re-structuring on the scene, cuz previous attempts was not working out.....

*** So the idea is to have ships attack my serpent so I will have lots of explosions and smoke.... now my computer is old and can't handle particles well; so I decided to do a matte painting of most of the effects I need... I have never done this before so I will need some pointers......

what I have here is the basic layout and the smoke I painted...... Did this in THE GIMP...

I will update this scene as I progress......

ur comments and suggestions means alot.....

post-7-1114605298.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Eos and KingSalami..........

KingSalami - I will be adding more if I can.......

*** Due to long renders I will be posting low res images cuz am rendering with only 1 pass........

still working on the smoke and atmosphere..... more to come......

post-7-1114702563.jpg

• 5 months later...

Had some time to continue working on this scene...... I did an entirely new layout cuz the other one got a bit heavy...... this one is alot more simple and direct to the feel and look I want.........

the ground is pure A:M materials....... A combanation of 6 all together.....

here is a render....... ur feedback is welcomed.....

post-447-1129774822_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Robert,

I was just wondering when we'd hear from you again.

Looks great as usual! More than great actually.

I should say as well I really like your walker. I like it a lot more than the ship.

If you still intend to use your flying ship(s) perhaps you could have them hovering around it to give a sense of scale.

Are you planning to put the tower back in or is that gone for good?

Glad to see you are still working it!

Rodney

JohnArtbox - Thanks alot sir........

Rod - how u doing? it's been a while.........so far I have no plans on adding the towers in am going with the bare planet and explsoions and debis........

here is an update.......starting to put a few things in place.........

post-447-1129822805_thumb.jpg

Hey! That looks really moody & atmospheric...love the smoke you did....How did you do it? Don't know about matte painting

The earlier one looked like there could be the vast dark ruins of a once great city way in the background......

camera angle really works...ground looks good too

Great work...look forward to seeing more

Thanks alot Disco Fish.....

The smoke is being painted in " THE GIMP " it's just layers colors am using to get the smoke appearence and blending them into the background image / scene, very simple approach.......it's very tricky.........

Nosferatu thanks alot for ur feedback.........

here is a quick overview of how I created the terrian.......very simple approach

1) I used a basic grid mesh......

2) I used a displacement map to create the humps on the mesh.......

3) I used a combonation of PERLIN, SINE, CRUMPLE, DIRT, CELLTURB Materials to achive the desired look........I wanted...

trying different combonation will help you get the look u want.......this is a very powerful tool in A:M.......

hope this gives you an idea..........

[attachmentid=10376][attachmentid=10377][attachmentid=10378]

post-447-1130164593_thumb.jpg

post-447-1130164622_thumb.jpg

post-447-1130164920_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Nice pics and description DL. Seeing behind the scenes like this really gets me going for some reason. Makes me want to create scenes in 3D.

BTW - I keep hoping you might demo your secret recipe for murky painterly style backgrounds too.

Beautiful stuff!

Rodney

Rodney - Thanks alot I have a few tuts in the making am just busy on a video game but will get on it as of next year.......

jamagica - Yes I painted the background SMOKE in THE GIMP.........the rest of the background was rendered within A:M........then saved and taken into THE GIMP........

here is a few basic screen shots......

I use transparent layers in THE GIMP and layer them ontop the final background......then paint and blend as needed......I love how THE GIMP handles transparent layers very easy to use.......I use THE GIMP for all of my texturing and painting needs....

thanks again guys for the feedback..........

[attachmentid=10401][attachmentid=10402][attachmentid=10442]

post-447-1130216438_thumb.jpg

post-447-1130216488_thumb.jpg

post-447-1130326762_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.......

got some time to do more painting........the landscape / gunship / serpent was rendered within A:M.... then loaded into THE GIMP and blended with the sky background.......

[attachmentid=10876][attachmentid=10877][attachmentid=10878]

post-447-1131459536_thumb.jpg

post-447-1131459554_thumb.jpg

post-447-1131459605_thumb.jpg

Very sweet image... Call me crazy, but I love your character design. Even with your prior fish characters.... Keep up the good work!

One question though... Why is the second laser shooting the ground?!?!

**edit : can't spell when at work! **

Is that "blood" falling from the creature? I would think a laser would cauterize a wound... and just leave a hole...

But I have no real critique... I saw this when you first posted it a while back, and I think you're doing an excellent job on it.

• 8 months later...

always god always you have the coolest work ever anyway i like all of them it makes a mood shot to my eyes like im there looking at some gloomy kind of thing i mean great work your getting up in the croud

• 3 weeks later...

can you tell me how you did the lasers that could come in handy for future projects

Cuboos - it's just a simple cylinder with the Diffuse settings at 50%, then in THE GIMP I used the smudge tool and added the effect it has...

Den - thank you.