Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lightning and Modeling

KNBits

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude KNBits,

Your picture looks amazing. I definetaly agree that it looks complete. Right now I am making an A:M motion picture, Do you think , if I stay in touch, can you possibly make locations for the movie, like you did with the picture, because I am very impressed and it is just what I am looking for. Just e-mail me at baldrix@cfl.rr.com!

Thanx!

Thxs I appreciate! I will soon have an updated render. It takes about 5 hour to render at 25 passes, because of the lighting setup and the Simbiont I guess (2600+). There is significant change to lighting in the new version, after I got great advices from John ArtBox and DarkLimit, and go through Yves Poissant web site (amazing references there!).

For this render, I did a lot of trial and error, especially on the location and width of the light. For the light coming out of window, I have use 2 Klieg constrained together, and located very very far from the room model:

-One take care of the light and shadows in the room (3' width, 290' fall-off, 150 intensity, raytraced shadows with 8 rays and 100% darkness).

-The other klieg take care of the volumetric effect (1' width, 400' fall-off, 2% intensity, volumetric 2000 quality 25 brightness 50 contrast, raytraced shadows with 2 rays and 100% darkness).

I find it easier to adjust everything that way. No lightmap used in this render, but I will use some to blur a bit due to the stains in windows (that you can't see yet in this one). The indoor lighting is also done by low intensity kliegs (7 in this render, but 17 in the next one) to fake light rebound.

I will post a schematic of lighting rig with the next render.

• 2 weeks later...

Modeling is pretty much the same, since I try to fix the lighting first. I will add spot on the lighting track soon to add "artificial" light eventually. More modeling and texturing soon.

Any suggestion to improve light and color would be appreciate.

12h 08m 15sec

AMD 2600+, 512meg RAM

PS. The grid and numbers on the brick wall are for future references for texturing map. They will be replaced in final render.

AccueilV31B.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest version of my scene. Some models and textures will be add later, but the mood is pretty done.

Fortunately, I manage to drop the rendering time under 6 hours barrier with a 2600+ by dropping the number of rays per light. I think this is not bad for a 28 lights set and DarkTree texture.

Now I will go around the clock with the scene, try to set different lighting according to the time of the day and the weather outside.

Thxs to everyone who helped me with this!

AccueilV2a05.jpg

Great job!

The windows look a little strange to me. Their layered style appears as if the middle portion is stationary while both the top and the bottom panes can slide up or down. A window that size wouldn't usually open, so I recommend make the window one flat pane rather than the layered panes like you have.

The windows look a little strange to me. Their layered style appears as if the middle portion is stationary while both the top and the bottom panes can slide up or down. A window that size wouldn't usually open, so I recommend make the window one flat pane rather than the layered panes like you have.

You're right. This is due to a change of design, but it kept some characteristic of the previous windows. The bottom panel is the only one that suppose to slide up. Thxs to point it out to me.

Bits - this looks awsome sir...... This scene has come a long way.... 6 hrs rendering time eh!! seems worth it to me.... I look forward to more......

Thxs DL! I would like to go as low as 2 hours / frame and eventually render a little 5 sec animation of it. 24 fps X 5 X 2 = 240h = 10 days (ouch!). But I guess I will have to set a smaller frame size. I want to give a try to Yves radiosity tutorial with it too.

Man this looks better than the Half Life 2 scenes and they're good.

I don't know about Half Life 2 but thxs a lot. Dunno how this would turn up in a real-time engine though.

You have a nice moody scene there. Very well done. Interesting what a well thought out lighting can do to a scene.

One technical bit here: If you do a 25 pass render with a 2 ray cast light, you have a 50 ray soft shadow. This should be more than sufficient for this scene since the soft shadows are far away from the viewer.

This is definitely a scene that could work well with Photon Mapping BTW. But I think you already know that.