Hash, Inc. Forums

Swashbuckler animation tests (flat color rendering

These are shots from the film actually, but with a very temporary proxy background.

The flat color rendering technique behaves very well when animated. You do have to be carefull where the light is placed so that the character will pick up a turned edge without any obvious shading, though.

http://www.anzovin.com/swash1.mov

http://www.anzovin.com/swash2.mov

--Raf

That's grt! How'd you get such a cartoony look? (the solid colors)

I think you could make a great film with this character. He reminds me of Miguel and Tulio from The Road to El Dorado or Sinbad from Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, and those characters had grt personality and were very entertaining. Keep it up, I can't wait to see future progress! :D

Nice work, makes me want to pop in Princess Bride and watch the swordfight between Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin.

Just a few minor nit picks.

The shading works well most of the time, but, for example, where he lands into a croutch, his clothes all kinda meld together and it loses some of the illusion of depth. I know, I know - ninjas and swashbucklers wear black just for that purpose.

I was thinking about how I might tweak this. The few suggestions I can offer are either a slightly different pose or a fill light. And a fill light would probably rob you of the look you're going for. Then again, this is a minor nitpick and most people wouldn't even notice.

Something seems just slightly off about the sword spin. Too fast?, not enough weight?, ease in -ease out?. I can't really pin point it.

Oh, depending on the action of the scene and what characters are involved, I also would recommend just a bit more florish, ie perhaps a higher throw, more exaggerated movements, - in short a bit more showmanship.

Just my two cents,

Steve P.

Only one nitpick though. In the first clip the pirate's left hand goes through the cube beside him when he is landing on the ground.

Yeah, that cube's just a proxy. The actual object that's going to be there won't be shaped like that.

Something seems just slightly off about the sword spin. Too fast?, not enough weight?, ease in -ease out?. I can't really pin point it.

Oh, depending on the action of the scene and what characters are involved, I also would recommend just a bit more florish, ie perhaps a higher throw, more exaggerated movements, - in short a bit more showmanship.

I'm not completely satisfied with the throw myself....but since there are so many other shots in this movie, in which to show off his personality, I decided not to be too picky with this one (the two shots I chose to do first happen not to contain any characters but him, so what you see in this shot is exactly what it will be). The real tricky stuff will be when he's dueling with the other character, showing off both their fighting styles while maintaining a sense of excitment.

--Raf

Hey Raf,

Looking great! The sword flip might feel off because it seems to spin around the center of the sword, and most swords center of balance is much closer to the heavy handle, meaning the center of the spin is not the center of the sword.

The rope on the second one passes throught the column.

How big of a project will this be? Can't wait to see more, how soon will you finish it?

-Alonso

Wow, great stuff!

The rope on the second one passes throught the column.

even though it does pass through the column, HOW did you animate the rope?

also, I know that it just depends on the animator's preference, but did you animate in an action window or in the choreography?

Great work Raf. I have only one critique.

I think you could push the squash and stretch of his whole form a lot more. I see the anticipation and follow thru on his actions. I think his character would dictate you could do a lot squash and stretch. Maybe even using distortion boxes.

I think adding that would make his form seem more fluid. Again, just a critique.

In regards movie one where he flips the sword. One big thing that I notice is there is not much time to register it. Maybe have him hold for a second after he jumps up onto the pedestal so we can "read" that, then let him do the "sword flip/toss".

On the second one, I can't "read" that he actually cuts the rope, maybe some type of anticipation shot or movement. That cut seems to happen too fast.

On the second one, I can't "read" that he actually cuts the rope, maybe some type of anticipation shot or movement. That cut seems to happen too fast.

The speed is one problem, but from what I can see most of the readability issue comes from his body blocking the actual cut. I was going to suggest a larger anticipation before the cut, but considering the quickness of his motion, even a larger anticipation might get lost. Tricky, tricky...

Yeah, that was the one part I played over and over. the cutting of the rope seems like it just wasn't happening right.

I think the only way to fix this without changing which hand is doing what might be to exaggerate the cut before the Swashbuckler even grabs the rope. Then as the rope comes apart from the slicing sword, he grabs it just as he and the rope are begining to fall a bit back to earth. Might make it a little more dramatic too.

But, I wouldn't go back and spend too much time on it, as the viewer can understand what's happening.

Nice work

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Wow! I had my doubts about the flat shading effect when you first gave us some screen caps of this fellow. The style is charming, and the excellent animation makes it feel (to me, at least) more hand-drawn. Quite a feat.

When his feet hit the roof of the building after the rope swing, his right leg comes down with a swift stomp. It seems out of character for his otherwise dashing and graceful acrobatics.

I noticed the same clipping problems, but they didn't interfere in the least with the performance. The character is there, and that's what it's all about. ...But that rope cut was a bit tricky to follow.

More! :)