Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2 minute movie

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That most have taken Months! I am thinking of buying AM for me and my daughter to play with. My daughter wants to get into animation as a career. She is in High school now and If I buy this for her it's something we could both enjoy! Any suggestion or comments about Animation as a career? Is this like Music allot of talented animators unemployed and a few or best can pay the bills?

There are plenty of animation careers....movies/games/ads etc. 3D content is so popular now that the number will probably be more in the future. She couldn't do better than to start with AM. She might even stick with it as most of the time, it's just the 2D output that counts. For animation, you need to have patience and passion and also have a budding actor trying to get out of you. :D

Dale: Great animation. Real funny. I loved the voice too!

• Hash Fellow

Hey Dale, i would have voted for that one! Glad you saw it through.

[quote name=Mark' date='Aug 25 2004, 05:01 PM]Is this like Music allot of talented animators unemployed and a few or best can pay the bills?

While waiting for a show to start at the World Animation Celebration in Hollywood a few years ago I overheard this joke:

Q: What's the difference between an animator and a large pizza? :huh:

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four. :D

I think your analogy to music is insightful, but don't let that stop you from giving it a look, especially since the entry cost is so low now and the software is so good.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

That most have taken Months! I am thinking of buying AM for me and my daughter to play with. My daughter wants to get into animation as a career. She is in High school now and If I buy this for her it's something we could both enjoy! Any suggestion or comments about Animation as a career?

It didn`t take too long really as I was only working on it in evenings for a couple of hours. The rendering of the shots could take anything up to 8 hours but I just left it going overnight.

For someone starting out in animation I think A:M is ideal. It`s relatively easy to learn and you can see results fast. If your daughter is totally set on animation as a career then she should definitely go for it. So many people are put off at the first hurdle because they fear unemployment. That can happen in any career and nobody wants to spend the rest of their life wondering `what if`.

I don`t know about computer animation but in stop-motion (in the UK anyway) it is very difficult to find animators. The studio I work for often has to train people to meet demand. Obviously this may change with advances in CG. I`m quite surprised to find myself still employed in stop-motion these days to be honest :D

I guess the best thing to do would be to maybe try A:M and then your daughter can decide if animation is for her or not.

Thanks for the insight you are right if you look for the negatives in all the careers you will never be able to chose any ;) I am glad I found this site I think this is something that both me and my daughter can get into if nothing else than just enjoyment. She been asking me to find her some software and this looks great I like the web tutorials and Forums! Having others to ask questions and seeing others work will motivate us and show us what we could do if we really try.

I`m sure you won`t regret it once you get over the initial learning curve. The tutorial booklet that comes with the software is deliberately quite basic but takes you gently through almost everything you need to know.

Animation is very rewarding. For most people, once they see their first character moving they are hooked. I know I still get that `magic` feeling when I feel I`ve done a good bit of acting or action.

The people on this list are great and I`m sure you will get all the help you need.

Great use of music and repeating words too.

Thanks Rodney. I used the `Songmaker` wizard in Magix Music Maker for the main body of the music. I then just embellished it a bit and added some samples from the voice track. All of the sound effects are from Magix also. Btw, on the original movie the footsteps are really quiet. For some reason after I compressed the soundtrack in QuickTime they suddenly becam very loud?!

I`m still thinking about a sequel but am working on something else at the moment.

John - thanks for the kind words. For once the idea came very fast. That`s normally the most difficult part for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I just orded it today :D Look for my work soon ;) daughter is really happy and I am hoping to work with her on some animations (Father and daughter projects :rolleyes: )

Dalemation Thanks for the reply it made me feel confident enough to take the plunge ;)