Hash, Inc. Forums

'41 Plymouth coupe

• Admin

Rodger,

Very nice! That'll certainly make a nice addition to your truck model.

Your patience is legendary and your talent obvious.

All my characters want to live in your world! :)

Looking forward to seeing more.

Rodney

Thanks to one and all for their kind comments.

Xtaz asked;

can u post an image flipped/attached ??
Plymouth copied

There's nothing really obvious in the full view shot. But as I've shown in the close-ups, once you get within arm's length you can see all sorts of distortions; usually but not necessarily in the closed loops. The shaded view examples are the most obvious ones but as shown in the last image, there's a number of subtle shifts that you can only see by looking through the wireframe and checking for non-matching splines paths.

robcat2075 asked;

Is this one of the models that had a brake light the size of a postage stamp on the trunk lid?

It looks like it. Go to the bottom of the above link to see a reference photo. I'm not looking forward to modeling the chunk of chrome it's mounted in.

Jim Talbot said;

.... tanks!
You're welcome. ;)

John Bigboote asked;

Whats it for?

To quote from my website "for all intents and purposes I'm building a full scale railroad layout". For a more long winded explanation, visit the following link;

Modeling Examples

• 3 years later...

BRAVO Rodger !!!!

You are one of my heroes since I acquired my first A:M (v8) and a inspiration to us...

Beautiful model... amazing atmosphere... great material ... superb light.. what more I can say ???

Pretty cool!

I'm just making up a crit here:)

I wonder if you deformed the part of the tires that touch the ground to show wieght, if it

wouldnt convey a bit more of the excellent realism you've already achieved?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

BRILLIANT!

Rodger... you could post those pics on ebay and start getting bids. 4 years--- Great persistence! I'd be interested in a patch-count as well as a wireframe. Any plans to animate her...even just a turntable 360?

I LOVE the license plate on the back...here's this great aero-dynamic rear end and then as an afterthought they 'slap' the plate on there... you can just SEE the drag it creates!

TOP-NOTCH modeling, as always!

Awesome! Very nice model and render. The car fits very nice into the environment. I too would like to see an HDRI render of it. One small crit though, the motor is missing. Are you planning on model it? If not, I would place a proxy under the hood, to avoid the see-through. Anyway, I have to repeat myself. Awesome!

*edit* I think you should post some less compressed jpg's of the car on your site. The car is to pretty to have those compression artifacts

Thanks for all the kind comments.

I'd be interested in a patch-count as well as a wireframe.

See the attached image.

I LOVE the license plate on the back

The biggest challenge here was I had no reference image for how the plate gets held in that odd location. So I had to design a kind of aerodynamic art-deco chunk of chrome with a rusty metal frame; see other attached image.

Any plans to animate her

All in good time.

wonder if you deformed the part of the tires that touch the ground to show wieght,

You're absolutely correct and I did consider it. But some rough calculations suggested that you'd have to have something like 36 radial cross sections to have a moving bulge as the wheel rotated that didn't "pulse" from cross-section to cross section and it would probably still be a bias tweaking nightmare to get it to look realistic in motion. I couldn't justify this type of patch overhead on just a car. The "stars" of my virtual train set are the locomotives. They'll get the majority of close-ups and fortunately their wheels don't deform (much).

I would add some HDRI environment reflection to that.

I'd like to finish the city street set first so there's something to fill in the reflections.

One small crit though, the motor is missing.

As you can see in the view without a the hood, I did model it, along with the radiator. They're very low on detail, just enough to fill the space in a worm's eye view. The Chrysler designers put a LOT of sheet metal in front of the radiator giving that see-through appearance.

I think you should post some less compressed jpg's of the car on your site. The car is to pretty to have those compression artifacts

My ISP puts a 5Mb limit on my website and I plan on putting many more images up in the coming years.

coupe_Plymouth_41_wire.jpg

coupe_Plymouth_41_plate.jpg

• Hash Fellow

That looks fabulous, Roger! I'm glad you finished that.

wonder if you deformed the part of the tires that touch the ground to show wieght,

You're absolutely correct and I did consider it. But some rough calculations suggested that you'd have to have something like 36 radial cross sections to have a moving bulge as the wheel rotated that didn't "pulse" from cross-section to cross section and it would probably still be a bias tweaking nightmare to get it to look realistic in motion. I couldn't justify this type of patch overhead on just a car.

a distortion box would simplify animating that.

However an easier solution might be to deform your eight-rib wheel once and then just rotate the texture on it. I think that would be visually indistinguishable from actually animating the mesh.

That looks fabulous, Roger! I'm glad you finished that.

You're absolutely correct and I did consider it. But some rough calculations suggested that you'd have to have something like 36 radial cross sections to have a moving bulge as the wheel rotated that didn't "pulse" from cross-section to cross section and it would probably still be a bias tweaking nightmare to get it to look realistic in motion. I couldn't justify this type of patch overhead on just a car.

a distortion box would simplify animating that.

However an easier solution might be to deform your eight-rib wheel once and then just rotate the texture on it. I think that would be visually indistinguishable from actually animating the mesh.

Those are some intuitive thoughts robcat!

I was just thinking if you did it only for the still shots, as, when the wheels are turning durign driving you might not notice it as much either way.

But for a still, I think it would add great to the detial of the shot.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com