Hash, Inc. Forums

KONG!

zandoriastudios

Wow! Great use of the Dodge and Burn tools! I think the bump is perfect at the percentage you have it now.

Did you Copy/Flip one side of the texture and then change it a little, or did you do both sides at the same time?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GCharb

William????

God man, you modelled my mother in law!!!!!

Oh, no....wait....it's a gorilla right?

Heheheh, great model man, I love it!

Gilles

It looks much more realistic with hair on. You should crank up he lighting though. Both the skylight and the sun light. Your model skin and hair are so dark that we loose all details. I would crank up the lights to the point where the skin highlights are almost white.

did a little more adjustment to the hair material. --for some reason I started getting a runtime error in multi-pass. After rendering it without multi-pass, I rerendered and didn't get the problem ( can't figure out the issue...) Anyway, The model is about done except for some jiggle dynamics that I want to put on it, and some pose sliders on the face. I'm probably going to increase the bumpmap intensity for the face and torso...Ok, maybe not completely done.... I will post a couple more ;)

wip1_11_05.jpg

Edited by zandoriastudios

Hey William,

Great! The hair really makes a big difference. That is definitely King Kong now!

One crit, the solid gray of his skin is looking a little fake to me. Possibly you could try adding some subtle color variations in the gray to simulate blood vessels or fatty vs. bony areas.

Nice job!

Jim

Excellent model! Absolutely nothing to add to modelling or hair. Also the face bumps seem perfect to me.

In fact, a few years ago I did "the head modelling test" and I chose the image of something between a man and a monkey, you can take a look in here:

Monkeyman head

I'm with Jim, I think the grey is too flat, and maybe also too cold, almost a bluish grey.

Amazing work, congratulations. I'll wait to see it animated!!!! :)

Jim,

I agree, the hair looks better than the textures, which is making it stick out to my eye too. Right now there is not much of a color map at all--mostly just bump and specular. I will go back to the maps for some intense texture work.

Ken,

I have a lot of Gorilla reference, thanks for more. I agree the hairline of the belly ought to come up another row. I will adjust that for the next update

Thanks for the feedback!

• Admin
any chance of seeing a tut for this guy?

I believe Will's "Making Kong" can be seen in two parts on the 2005 SIGGRAPH videos.

Yup... just varified.

See it listed here:

SIGGRAPH Training Tapes from Hash Inc.

*Actually it's the title of this topic too.... :blink:

Edited by Rodney

OK, this is a little test for Yves. My monitor gamma is calibrated to 2.2 and this picture looks the way I intend, even though the blacks of the hair are really black. I ran the Gamma NTSC post Effect on the render, and I am putting them side by side. On my NTSC monitor the Gamma adjusted render looks washed out (just as it does on the computer (too me)). But how does it look tou you?

The blacks in the hair are supposed to be there, but you should see a little bit of highlight (20% specular intensity).

Chances are that your monitor may be calibrated differently from mine. So the question is, which version looks right to you. :unsure:

gammatest.jpg

After some re-calibration to my gamma settings on my system (thanks to advice from Yves), I made adjustments to the levels on my decals and adjustments to the color settings on my hair emitter, and then adjustments to the lighting.

Now hopefully we should all see a similar picture, and you will be able to see the detail in Kongs fur. B)

wip1_15_05.jpg

That did the trick Will, Now you can really make him out, great Job. I don't know if you keep track of such things but what was estimated total time from concept to finished on him?

hmmm. I did the modeling the Sunday before Siggraph last year. I did the rigging this past fall... the textures a couple of weeks ago...and then tweaked everything again the next weekend (it seems like I only work on the weekend, if I'm not doing something else, like playing Diablo), and I tweaked everything again yesterday to get the gamma sorted out. So about 9 months! :lol:

9 months?! HOLY CRAP! I spent like 5 hours one my first human head! :0 but I gotta say this: you...are...THE...MAN!! animations like theese are those who make me wish I was A LOT better. So I keep trying! and so I get better! to simplify: theese animations of yours are inspirations to all of us, both amatures and pro's