Hash, Inc. Forums

KONG!

zandoriastudios

Mr Sutton, your modelling capacity is something inspiring. Which words should I say??? perfect, wonderful, amazing???

I dont know.

Congratulation

Peace

Xtaz

God! I thought I was looking in the mirror just then :blink: Too much beer last night :rolleyes:

Seriously, William if you are doing the modeling demo at Sigraph will this get onto the new Hash 2004 DVD? That certainly would be something worth waiting for. You have come on such a long way mate, my hats off to you ;)

Hi Mr. William Sutton!

I don't have any objectionable,because Kong is a powerful and perfect character!

You have a nice splinemanship on the head of Kong. B)

Very good job and I wish you a successful demo on the show!

Regards,

Sharky ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Two things that come to mind:

1) The skymap seems rather cloudy from the camera POV. If the whole sky is like that, than you won't get nice strong color filtering. On this topic, Ia trick I use is to use slightly different maps of the same sky for the skydome and the skyfillter. I crank the saturation higher for the skyfilter. As high as possible without getting color shifts.

2) When you scale the skylight relative to the skydome and the skyfilter, make sure the skylights are a tiny bit larger than the domes. That is the light radius sould barely touch the dome or not touch it at all and of course be outside the domes.

The best way to get the test the setup is:

1) disable the skymap hemisphere to keep only the skyfilter active.

2) Replace the projection map material with a simple deep blue surface color on the skyfilter.

3) disable the sun light.

With this setup, the only parameter that should affect the filtering is the relative scale of the skyfilter dome from the skylight lights.

• 2 months later...

That is some of the finest modeling I have seen in a long time. Just great Will. Kong has been a fave of mine since forever. Also, major kudos for donating the model.

Thank you!!!!!

Can't wait for the Peter Jackson movie. :D

Tony

Hey man,

It's looking great! I love the wrinkles on the skin.

Hair is going to throw him through the roof!

It would be cool to see him battle Jurrasic Pork. I wonder who'd when? no... Tar! That'd be a battle I'd pay to see. Hell have a 3 way death match!

Ok enough bad ideas on my part. L8r...

C

You should send that to Peter Jackson, since they're currently working on King Kong (you knew that already). Maybe they might be looking for some new modelers, and who knows, find a way to use AM in their pipeline...excellent work as usual (send him the Balrog while you're at it...wait a minute, do I notice a pattern here!?!?!?).

Greg

It's amazing how much a texture can enhance a model! How on earth did you do all those little subtle cracks?.....particularly on the chest.

how did you create that actual facial wrinkle..I know you did bump maps and your UV Mapping method, but I mean actually making the map??

It is all paintd in photoshop, using dodge and burn tools on a 50% gray field. The very fine skin texture is from a tileable pattern that I painted. I Filled a layer with that pattern, then set the blending mode to "soft light" to combine it with the other wrinkles.

I assume it's a bumpmap. Or maybe I'm wrong.

It is a color map, bump map, and specular intensity map.

You're a fine modeler. And I love that last last render you made of Kong jumping in the air. Fine rigger and smartskinner too.

Thanks Yves, that is high praise from you, because I think your models are very fine! Your skin shader and skylights are also now part of my bag-o-tricks ;) I think that Smartskinning and modeling are in the same category--It is all about "sculpting" the shape.

You should send that to Peter Jackson, since they're currently working on King Kong (you knew that already).

Yes, that was the reason I did this at Siggraph! I did talk to someone at Weta about coming down to see the demo, but I don't think they did... :(

It would be cool to see him battle Jurrasic Pork. I wonder who'd when? no... Tar! That'd be a battle I'd pay to see. Hell have a 3 way death match!

I'm thinking of either him on the Empire State building swatting at planes, or maybe fighting the Terrordactyl.

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks and encouragement! :)

I assume it's a bumpmap. Or maybe I'm wrong. :P

Heh ;) I know the mechanics of how it was done but I don't know how he could draw all those little lines in one lifetime ;) And so regularly.

Edit: OK I see the explanation above now. Thanks!

You should send that to Peter Jackson, since they're currently working on King Kong (you knew that already). 

Yes, that was the reason I did this at Siggraph! I did talk to someone at Weta about coming down to see the demo, but I don't think they did... 

I believe Wetas pipline is based around polys....unfortunately. Also, the movie is out within the year, so they most probably had the model well made already.