Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 2: Chorus Line

Hey Chris;

Thanks for the codec help. I know that some codecs are not available for the Mac faction and others for the linux mavins. I've never created a QT movie before. Anything special I should look out for or does AM handle it auto-magically??

Bill

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its just Magic! Well I don't understand it anyway.

Click on Render to file/Format/Compression/Set

Click on the pull down tab and check out the options.

Select Sorenson Video 3 and Medium quality(experement with the other settings)

A 5 sec animation.mov of Rabbit comes out at about 154 kb on the standard lights with shadow option ON

A 5 sec animation.mov of Rabbit comes out at about 154 kb on the standard lights with shadow option ON

My CanCan animation was also created this way.

- Sorenson 3 compression

- medium quality

- 320x240

- 30 fps

- no key frames

My 2 seconds of CanCan was about 524kb :(

Name: Dhar Jabouri

Exercises Completed: 2- Cancan

Date Completed: 09-10-2005

Instructor: Hash's on-line tutorials.

Comments: In addition to learning TAoAM, I also learned how to render in a way that reduces the file size in order to share it in the forum. Thanks to the forum.

Cancan2.mov

• Admin

Chris "FatClown" Wheeler,

I wish I could see your animations... I can already tell that I would enjoy them.

I'm blocked from your site and currently I don't think I'll be able to find a way to gain access.

This isn't on your side... its on mine. It's a firewall thing.

I'll investigate other ways of seeing your work.

So far everyone else's I'm still able to see.

Best,

Rodney

Name: Nicole Bakos

Exercises Completed: Exercise 2: Chorus Line

Date Completed: 09/10/2005

Instructor: AM Manual AND http://www.s1.hashmirror.com/ftp/VM/EX2ChorusLine/

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: my cancan files is bigger than 1mb. I will be setting up a website to post all my exercises on. But for now I will email it to you Rodney.

If you have any problems receiving my email please let me know.

Nicole

• Admin
Cant underdstand what Ive done wrong in uploading

Chris,

As I said... it isn't anything on your end. There are some places I just can't go these days due to the firewall I'm stuck behind. Your Fatclown site is off limits for whatever reason.

Don't fret though I'll find a way to get access.

Pretty much everyone else in the world should be able to view your files fine.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Splinesmith(Kurt Lange)

Exercises Completed:6

Instructor:the manual and maybe the online tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement:

I actually did some of these earlier this month and I just now got around to posting which is why I say six, the other exercise renders I will post in their respective forum sections.I had trouble uploading.

Never Mind the forum won't accept the mov file attachment

hello everyone.

This is my version of exercise 2: chorus line.

I focused my experimentation on camera frame and lighting (volumetrics and shadows...)

date completed: i don't remember :)

Instructor: TAoAM (and previous experience with 3d software)

commets: i don't think the cancan action works with the characters (their motion is weird!)

but the more i dig into the software the more i'm impressed with what AM can do!

Mich

[attachmentid=9856]

exercise_2.mov

Name: Splinesmith(Kurt Lange)

Exercises Completed:6

Instructor:the manual and maybe the online tutorials

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement:

I actually did some of these earlier this month and I just now got around to posting which is why I say six, the other exercise renders I will post in their respective forum sections.

I am posting again because I am posting the render as zip

Chorus_Line_Render.zip

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Hello from Thailand,

Here's my exercise 2 file

Name: Panutat Tejasen (A.K.A. Jimmy)

Exercise Completed: Exercise 2 : Chorus Line

Date Completed: November 6, 2005

Instructor: Rodney (Forum)

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

: it's hard for new user to use Knight model with "CanCan" action because it distort the model while animation. Most of members may able to fix it up easily but for new users are hard to do on first time exercise. I include the file that I use "Knight" model compare to other model.

Another point, the render time should suggest 2 seconds instead of 3 seconds due to the loop of "CanCan" action is 2 seconds. The finish animation will more encourage to new users.

ChorusLine_Knight_3sec.mpg

02___Chorus_Line___Final.mpg

I've seen a couple of exercise #2 animations using lighting such as spotlights or other directional lighting.

Let me start my question simple -- how does one achieve a spotlight effect. When I right click on object, select New, -- light is the only kind of lighting I can see to select. I guess i either have to muck with the properties or otherwise perhaps "enclose" the light within another model to achieve the directional effect.

Perusing through the manual's table of contents (the manual with exercise two in it), there doesn't appear to be much documentation on lighting other than "it's good to have it".

Pointers to places in the manual I missed (again I'm only up to about exercise 3 or 4, and perused the rest with the ToC so far) are welcome. A simple "you'll get to it if you follow through the exercises is acceptable too".

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

p.s. It's now been about 20 hours since I started looking into this myself [though I did sleep in between].. My only point is I did try to figure it out on my own before coming here. I just got to a point where my ideas on how to learn this were going to require too much work (not that I mind work). Why not consult the gods?

Rob

If there's any tutorial that is lacking, it is definitely lighting. I don't think I'd be asking too much for at least 5 tutes of different lighting examples. The current default "daylight", a moon lit light, spotlighting, laser beam, and flashing lights of a police car.

Let's see if Santa will grant my wishes :rolleyes:

• Admin

Dhar,

Better than 5 tutorials... this forum has an entire forum area devoted to illuminating the possibities with lighting. Perhaps you've visited there.

It is forum 36 on your A:M dial:

Radiosity Forum Area

Lighting Tutorial by Yves Poissant

If you don't see the specific subject you are looking for you can open up a new discussion there.

I don't think I'd be asking too much for at least 5 tutes of different lighting examples. The current default "daylight", a moon lit light, spotlighting, laser beam, and flashing lights of a police car.

Asking is free... getting might cost ya!

I recommend downloading some of the projects from the forum's own Tinkering Gnome; JohnL3D.

I've seen examples of spotlighting, laser beams, and police light flashing from him.

His site has some of his projects while the forum contains still others.

Visit at:

http://johnl.inform.net/

Best,

Rodney

Rodney :lol:

Long time no see, you're back.

Thanks for the links. What I meant about the tutes was the part and parcel of the online tutorial videos and in the TAoA:M book.

BTW, I'm still waiting for your comments on my excercises. I've been bustin' them left and right and now I'm stuck on the last excercise :angry:

-------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master

Exercise 2: Chorus Line

-------------------------------------

Name: Robert D. Wilkens

Submission: Exercise 2 video

Date: 11/7/2005

Attachment : Exercise2_output.mov - A Quicktime file that was created by first rendering to AVI, then plugging the AVI into ARCSOFT ShowBiz2, then exporting from there as a quicktime with 50% quality and the lowest quality sound (as there was none)

exercise2_output.MOV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Name: Jody Krivohlavek

Exercise Completed: Exercise 2

Date Completed: December 21, 2005

Instructor: AM Handbook, Video Tutorial and everyone that's ever posted to these forums.

(Been around since the Playmation days :D )

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

I just did a quick shaded quicktime for this one. I don't want to wait the hours and hours for the final quality render. :blink:

ChorusLine.mov

Name: Vance Gloster

Exercises Completed: Exercise 2 Chorus Line

Date Completed: December 31, 2005

Instructor: None

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: When I first tried this I got a random pattern of beige lines on the carpet. This was the ground automatically created as part of the coreography interfering with the red carpet that is part of the stage. Once I deleted the ground, the beige lines disappeared. Either the instructions should say to delete the ground or to be careful to place the stage above the ground instead of at the same level.

It would not let me upload this as an attachment. Here's a link to it on my site.

Exercise 2 Quicktime

-Vance

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: When I first tried this I got a random pattern of beige lines on the carpet. This was the ground automatically created as part of the coreography interfering with the red carpet that is part of the stage. Once I deleted the ground, the beige lines disappeared. Either the instructions should say to delete the ground or to be careful to place the stage above the ground instead of at the same level.

When you place the stage, make sure you're in camera view. Camera view is the only view that will place objects on/above the ground.

I had to put it in a zip file, because otherwise it is too big. So i have a quick question...why do my mov. files take up so much space? i see other peoples and they are really small files.

Thanks!

The forums do not support any file above 1MB in size. Here's what I do to reduce the size of the exercise movie: after I click 'Render to File' (make sure advance is not yet checked), click Compression then input the following:

- Sorenson 3 compression

- medium or low quality

- 30 fps

- no key frames

Click OK, then check the Advance feature. In the Output settings:

Format > QuickTime Movie

Resolution > that's gonna depend on how big your file is going to be, usually I keep mine at 320X240 which is a low resolution. Aspect 1.

Gamma > Value 1

Buffers> Alpha ON. Light Buffers OFF. Apply camera's Post Effects OFF.

Then click on the Options tab:

Quality - Final

Shadowa - ON

Reflections - ON > Levels 2. Soft OFF.

And turn everything else OFF (especiallty the hair unless you're using the flock feature).

That's how I did most of my exercises. Some I still had to zip because I added extra features.

Hope this helps

:)

Name: Cameron J. Steele

Exercises Completed: Exercises 1 and 2

Date Completed: January 7th, 2006

Instructor: None

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: None

Second AM project ever. Shaggy isn't fully visible - but I did that on purpose... yeah. (I didn't want to rerender the thing, I'll update it later.

ex2.mov