Hash, Inc. Forums

AMLA

Rodney

Hi there,

Frank Silas here. The AMLA is an open group where anyone and everyone is invited. We have not held a meeting in almost a year now. That is really my fault and I apologize to everyone for that. I've been working at Rockstar Games making video games and I have not been able to get away much. I need to find someone to help shoulder writting lectures and tutorials for the group as well as holding the meetings when I can not make it. Usually I bring my own computer to the meetings and that is what we use. Also, I'm looking into getting a projector so we can set up shop anywhere. So the lack of activity in AMLA is no one's fault but my own. I will be working with the other cofounders of the group to schedule our next meeting. This is no small task, and we have always done it free of charge as well as provided free food and drinks. For me it's over 100 miles from my house to the meeting locations in Los Angeles. For some of the AMLAers it is much further than that. So it's a logistical battle as well. We will meet again and it will be awesome as always.

As far as taking advantage of Siggraph goes I'm sure those of us who can make will be there. We've never had an official pressence there. I had to apologize to Ken because I was not able to demo at the booth again this year. I don't know at this point if I will actually make it to Siggraph either. I work 12 hour days on the weekdays and 5 to 8 hour days on the weekends. I also recently had surgery. So life my dear friends takes precedence over much else these days. Being close to LA has it's advantages all year round. There are many events where you can meet and talk with some of the legends of Animation and Filmmaking. It's a busy city. Siggraph specifically is really good if you have a demo reel then you can go on career day and get interviews with all the major film effects studios from ILM, ESC, Dreamworks, and on to the Animation Houses such as Pixar and PDI, ect. Siggraph is designed with the animators and 3d artsists in mind. It is also a great place to catch up with industry friends, becuase it really is a small industry. So a lot of networking goes on there too. A lot of people just go for the free t-shirts and stuff, but many other have a plan when they go and often begin and or continue lucrative careers in the industry through the networking and job interviews that go on there. You also get to see some of the best short animations from all over the world as well as the technological advances that help drive the industry.

So in a nutshell AMLA is alive and well, we just take looooooong breaks. We've been going on and off for nearly two years now.

Frank Silas

http://www.franksilas.com

• Admin

Thanks for the reply Frank!

I had a feeling you still met sporadically.

Glad to hear that you do.

Best of luck with your work and... I do hope you get the chance to go to SIGGRAPH.

Best,

Rodney

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
The meeting will start promptly at 11am and go to 4pm on Saturday October 25, 2003

I can assume that this "users group" is no longer active. I am pretty new to Animation Master but if you live in the Los Angeles Area, and there are enough of us, we could restart a Los Angeles Animation Master Users Group. For those of you interested....post a message here. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in attending meetings in the L.A. area, though I don't have much experience so far. I found the few AMLA meetings I was able to attend to be very educational, enlightening and entertaining. Great bunch of people, too.

Perhaps if you posted this in the main A:M List forum it would get a little more attention. I can't believe there's been no response so far. I think most people simply aren't aware of it. There are so many talented A:M users in L.A. that I would think if meetings were arranged, they would come.

Gary