Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Troll

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll put this here as it's easier to post a pic.....Is anyone having a problem with specular highlights? I've bumped up the specularity on this barrel and the light has spec turned on, but there's no white rim on the barrel. Can someone confirm/deny this. Cheers.

Rim_copy.jpg

No it wasn't on. Actually there is a specular highlight in the pic....I discovered it was so large that it covered the whole of the barrel. :) *But* as the "Specular Colour" in the properties is set to white, I was expecting the highlight to be white also. I've sent this to support as it seems to be a bug.

I got it to work....you have to set the "Main model name" specular colour to the colour you want. Then it will work for any groups you have in the model. Quirky I know.

Anyway, here's an update on the trolls environment. Picture him bounding through the shadows in this corridor....knocking into things. He's on the run! :D

Envir.jpg

Nice Job!

Say, is that troll big? like, 3 meters high? or it's an impression.

Yes, it seems there is a small bug in specular color. When the specular color INSIDE the model->surface properties is 'NOT SET', all specular on any groups uses the underlying diffuse color for specular. That means no specular for black objects.

Just set it to white or something. Any spec color inside the groups settings will work then.

Emilio

Does anyone know why this is happening with the darktree eye material? It's like the eyes have their own light source when in the shadows. It's too cartoony looking for what I want.

It's OK...I got this sorted. I had reset all the properties under the model name. Apparently if you do this, it gives quite a good toon look even when rendering in standard mode. :)

Eyes.jpg

Edited by KenH

Haven't posted in awhile, but had to on this one. I was just thinking of doing a cave trol, but you beat me to it :). Excellent. I can't tell you how impressed I am with you bump mapping. Great Job.

Thanks guys! :) I promise that next time I post here I'll have him moving. I'm waiting for TSM2 to arrive.

Sharky I used photoshop for his texture and it was abit of a pain trying to get rid of seams in all the texture levels(colour/bump/spec). I can still see them if I look close, but then again I know where to look :D He'll be in a dark room when he's moving.

Ken, I was gonna say he looked a bit smooth... then you put the bump map on him and WOW! He's looking real good ;)

The only thing that I think that looks outta place is the shine on his skin. Unless your troll uses baby oil, which I doubt, then I would have thought his skin would not have such sharp specular points on it.

Out of interest how long did you spend on the texturing and did you do it in AM 11 using a Wacom tablet? I have never really gone that deep into texturing using maps I will have to start - you've urged me on!

He's gonna be interesting to see animated, that is if you are gonna rig him.

Yep he's too shiny. I still haven't set up PS on my new machine to fix it. AM was the first thing I installed! :) All the textures took about 2-3 days to do and I have a tiny Wacom. Fiddily but still easier than a mouse.

I'm glad I've made you look at textures as there doesn't seem to be enough of it done with AM.(Not that others aren't doing great stuff with it already)

I'm chomping at the bit to animate...where's TSM2!!

Hi KenH!

Can you write me a little tutorial about texture of your Troll character?

This texture is very nice and lifelike!

I interest the color and bump map editing in particular! :D

Can you help me in this topic ? :(

Regards,

Sharky ;)

No tutorials right now. But it's the same method as you use to make a texture map(see Wills UV tutorial). The only difference is it's in black and white. Medium grey is no bumps, black "digs in" to the model and white raises it. Not that hard really.

It can be done in different ways. I just used Photoshop.

What book are you referring to? Is it the one in my Profile pic? The one on the desk is just the AM manual. I always keep it handy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of time and a large dose of patience. Each of the wrinkles is hand drawn. It's possible you could clone alot of it off a photo or something, but I didn't have one....A tip would be to follow the contour of the splines. They give an indication at to the "lie of the land".