Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Art of Animation:Master

Hi, TC.

Here's your pic of the washer. It's far from perfect, and I have an awful feeling that when I get to the sections on rigging and animating it, it will all go horribly wrong and turn into a wet paper bag or something.

On the other hand, this is the first time I've succeeded in modeling anything that looked even vaguely like a human being, so I'm very happy!

I'm guessing that the way to learn this stuff is to make a model, try to animate it, bang your head on the desk and cuss because you made spline mistakes that won't animate, then calm down, learn from the mistakes and try again.

Still we'll see what happens...

Morph

post-22-1090180031.jpg

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that looks cool, i don't know how my try at that will go, but if i fail, i will bang my head on the desk and try again. :lol:

Im trying to hurry up and get onto the more exciting chapters, because at the moment, im just making spheres and cubes.

Im trying to hurry up and get onto the more exciting chapters, because at the moment, im just making spheres and cubes.

When you've made them, don't throw them in the trashcan (like I did) because you'll need them later!

I guess that you had to remake them ?

Yeah, but it wasn't too demanding... you need your bevelled cube to make the buttons for the remote control.

Today I start work on the Brownstone building. It says something about using Photoshop to create a vector drawing which A:M can import and turn into 3D blocks. I don't have photoshop, so I'll have to see if my graphics program can do the same thing.

If it doesn't, the model I need on is the CD, but I'd prefer to do it from scratch, as part of the learning process.

Helo,

I'm going to have to hurry up and get that 2002 Handbook so I can follow along with you guys. If you guys have some helpful tips please let me know. Well, I have now finish exercise 15. I did this two ways. I first tried it the way the manual outlines and then I tried it as you see it in the gif below.

BTW, where did you guys buy your 2002 handbook. I tried looking for it but I think it is only available via the internet or some back order.

post-22-1090281822.gif

Murphy,

Your model looks good. Did you have any difficulty with applying the arms to the torso or any of the appendages to the torso? When I was doing the camel model from the tutorial, I found the concept of attaching the legs a bit challenging. It will take me a while to master it, I think.

Ultraapa,

For me, attaching the legs to the giraffe was probably the most difficult thing in the manual. The 'Washer' has limbs that are much simpler and easier.

Here's something else which really helped me.

Make a grid of patches on the ground, using the top view. Then go to a side view and lathe a simple cylinder above it. Then imagine that the cylinder is a limb and the grid is a torso, and practice connecting them.

This helped me to understand why you really need to make a hole in the grid first, and why attaching limbs creates five-point patches.

BTW, I got my 2002 book from Amazon.

Mr. Sutton,

Thanks very much on the comments. I was totaly surprised when I looked at the forum this morning. I wasn't aware the established animators even looked at this section of the forum. Thanks again. Definitely inspiring. I was just looking at the Technical Reference last night and I say your "Mr. DoDo" image on page 74 so imaging my surprise to actual get a comment from you. Really amazing!

OK, let me stop before this turns cheesy, but thanks ;-).

Here comes exercise 16. I did it two ways; the original way and then I change the entire theme up for something I think a little more interesting.

Morphy,

I did order the 2002 Handbook from Barnes and Nobles and I may get it as early as this Friday but certainly no later than next week.

post-22-1090345737.gif

• Admin

Ultraapa,

Doug Horning has already done it!

Check the discussion area here: Animation 2002 - A complete guide (A:M Users comments and images)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for The Art of Animation:Master exercises... we continue that as well.

It is looking like we may start a new thread each month so New Users can join in without wading through hundreds of posts. At the end of each month I would then add that month to this main topic. The jury is still out on any changes...

As many have found already working through The Art of Animation:Master together is a great way to meet people with a common interests in learning Animation:Master!

Keep Splining!

• Admin

Ultraapa,

I'll check my web site as I uploaded 6 certificates the day prior to my current computer problems.

For those unaware, I'm currently experiencing technical difficulties with my main computer. Unfortunately, that is the one that I kept the original certificates on. :(

It's not a complete showstopper as I still have access to some of the PDF certificates that I can use to recreate most of the original designs but I'm confident that I can get either the original or the backup going again and get the certificates out within the next few days.

Since tomorrow begins my break from 'real' work I can devote my time to getting caught up. Since Wednesday is my certificate day (as well as Chat Night) I see that as a good sign too.

To prevent similar occurances in the future I'm rebuilding my mini-network so that all I need to do when a computer fails is move over to another computer and press on.

Wish me luck... I'll need it!

Thanks for everyones continued patience... I know a lot of you have been waiting a long time for your certificates.

Morphy,

I actually posted the last few exercises in succesion on the thread so I am actually done now with the manual.

Rodney was kind enough to give me a link to the new thread for the 2002 Handbook, but I click on the link but no dice. Can some step me through to the actual location.

Also, I noticed that there is a some kind of ranking under different peoples name. Is there some system for this. How does one increase in ranking (e.g., number of posts, recognition of talent, etc, etc.)

Anywho, please give me the step by step location of this new thread as I am interedted to continue the exercises with you guys.

Also, what happens to current thread we are on? Does it become defunct as people move over to other ones or how does it work?

Ultraapa, to get to the AM 2002 topic, just go to the new users forum and the topic is called AM Guide 2002 started by modernhorse.

The ranking under peoples names depends on how many posts they have.

All i know so far is that -

* Less than 10 posts = Newbie

* 10 - 49 posts = Aprentice

* 50 - 99 posts = Journeyman

* 100 - ?? posts = master

Also, what happens to current thread we are on?
Rodney said this.....

It is looking like we may start a new thread each month so New Users can join in without wading through hundreds of posts. At the end of each month I would then add that month to this main topic

Hope that helps.

• Admin

*sniff*

I get so emotional when everyone graduates and launches out on their own.

Luckily, there is no crying emoticon or it would be a mess...

*sniff-sniff*

Maybe we can all get together in 10 years for a grand reunion! :lol:

We can talk about what you guys are working on after PIXAR, Disney, Avalanche, etc. That'll be fun! :)

Oh... and don't forget to hang out with us here.

The New Users Forum will always be the place to be! :)

• Admin

Ultraapa,

Don't know why the link isn't working for you.... strange...

If you click on the New Users Forum link (above or in the Forum listing) look for the topic titled: A:M Guide 2002 - Post your progress initiated by modernhorse.

The topic will stay toward the top of the list as long as people keep posting to it. ;)

I see the author himself (David Rogers) is there posting with you... now that is simply awesome!

Have fun guys!

Well I'll still be here for awhile as I haven't nearly finished the tAoAM yet. But i'm also using the A:M Guide - more as a reference right now. And I'm also trying to incorporate what i've learnt in both into my characters. Probably a less focused way of doing things but I MUST get to my own characters !

Ta for now,

Doug

• Admin

Ultraapa,

Doug Horning has already done it!

Check the discussion area here: Animation 2002 - A complete guide (A:M Users comments and images)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is looking like we may start a new thread each month so New Users can join in without wading through hundreds of posts. At the end of each month I would then add that month to this main topic. The jury is still out on any changes...

As many have found already working through The Art of Animation:Master together is a great way to meet people with a common interests in learning Animation:Master!

Keep Splining!

Okay folks, this is a plea for help on "The Door's Stuck" exercise.

I can set up Shaggy okay. I get throught the constrain to the doorknob part with no problem. The problem I run into is a matter of knowing when to keyframe. All of the tests I've done so far are very 'floaty'.

I'm pretty sure its a matter of interpolation. Zero slope interpolation solves the floatiness but what you end up with is very robotic motions.

I guess my question would be ... how often do you keyframe? I was thinking the way to do this exercise would be to block out the major poses as expressed in the storyboard on page 68. But the problem is once I get the poses set I don't really know how to solve all this floatiness.

Kinda stuck on Door's Stuck.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Doug

Modernhorse,

I have had a similar dilema before with the "floating" as you say. I am a newbie like yourself, so I wanted to give you my emotional support in this :D

I think one of the tricks is where you place keyframes. The great thing about AM and keyframes is that you don't have draw the frames inbetween the keyframes. The problem is that one keyframe tries to meld into the other which I think can cause the floatiness you are describing.

Saying all of that I am not exactly sure how to fix the problem. I'll try and work on this myself during some free time and post something if I do. If you do please let me know how you resolved the issue. It would be great to know.

You were speaking about interpolation. What exactly do you mean by this?

Anywho, I'm with you and good luck.

Ultraapa,

Hey bud, thanks for your support. When I solve the floatiness thing I'll post my EUREAKA! here.

You were speaking about interpolation. What exactly do you mean by this?

As for this, in the project workspace there is the grid (where all the keyframes are pictured as little squares). If you look below this there is a teeny icon that looks like a wave. This is where you can see all of your keyframes represented as splines. If you select two or more splines and right click on the selection box you'll see options for changing the interpolation. I don't know how to explain what interpolation is but only where to find it. Once you have selected some keyframes, change the interpolation and see what happens.

Hope this helps. As you can see i'm new to that as well. :P

Thanks for chiming in,

Doug

I guess my question would be ... how often do you keyframe? I was thinking the way to do this exercise would be to block out the major poses as expressed in the storyboard on page 68. But the problem is once I get the poses set I don't really know how to solve all this floatiness.

Hello fellow newbies,

Quoting myself above I just had a thought. I guess my problem is that I don't understand keyframing well enough. Perhaps The Door's Stuck is assuming some knowledge that I don't have yet. So, I'm off to Vern's AMatrix to see if I can find a really really basic tutorial on keyframing. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Doug

*edit* so far I just found this tutorial which I'm gonna work on today.

Avoiding Key Drift

• Admin

Doug,

Have you tried the project with a different character (other than Shaggy).

I'm trying to pinpoint some problem areas with Exercise 6 myself but it seems to remain elusive.

It's almost as if there is more than one version of Shaggy out there and one is not rigged properly.

That probably wouldn't account for your current problems but one never knows unless the questions are asked. ;)

Actually, I have had a problem with Shaggy myself. When I orginally got the software, his forearm would not constrain to the knob and this was verified by the guys at AM (I actually called and asked that they look into it).

Also, when using the paste mirror, I have notice that sometimes it does not actually paste mirror or sometimes it totaly screws up the paste. Strange...

Doug,

I found a site with some information on keyframes and it actually mentioned something about floating.

Next time, I post, I will give you the link and hopefully help you out. While waiting for AM 2002 Handbook, I will try and do the stuck door again and see what I can figure out about this floating business.

Ultraapa

Doug,

yes, there definitely seems to be a problem with Shaggy (for some of us, anyway). I found it totally impossible to do that exercise using him. But when I switched to the bunny, everything went very smoothly.

Stick with it - you'll get there!

• Admin

Alright Gale,

Pending final adjustments, here is a Graduation Certificate for completing The Art of Animation:Master.

The Art of Animation:Master Graduate Certificate

I'm open to suggestions to make this one better as it looks as if the grad certificate will soon be the only certificate presented to those who complete TAoAM.

We'll look at other options in the future but I'll admit that for right now it is impossible to keep up with individual certificates for each exercise. It's not hard to get the individual certificates out... but I can't seem to do it so won't try.

For those that have completed TAoAM and are still waiting for certificates I'll send out a grad certificate first and then work backward with you from there until you have all your certificates.

I regret the decision to discontinue separate certificates and will look for opportunities to bring them back in a way that rewards everyone's effort in a timely and meaningful manner.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Dont worry Rodney, i understand. :)

There's quite a few people that are working through the handbook or that have completed it, and if each 1 is getting 19 certificates, well, thats a lot of time and effort.

As for the Graduation Certificate i think thats a good idea because thats just one certificate per person that shows that they have completed the handbook. And as for suggestions, the only one i can think of is to mabey put a picture of the FW-190 Fighter on there as it is one of the more exciting models.

Anyway, i think you have done a great job with the certificates.

• Admin

Thanks for the suggestions TC!

I'll definitely add the FW-190 in the place of the Fokker that is currently in the upper right corner. Way back when I did the exercise it was the Fokker I did instead of the FW-190... ooops! As The Art of Animation:Master does change from time to time it looks like the certificates will evolve over time as well. For some, it might even be worth recompleting the exercises from time to time as Hash Inc updates the book. There is always something new to learn.

I'll be posting an August class invite for people who want to jump on board with The Art of Animation:Master soon. If realistic and enough people want to join in, we might try to hold a session each month. As we move along, other lessons might be added to the curiculum as well.

As alumni and A:M Forum users join in to help each other work their way through the exercises I may be able to devote more time to certificates of recognition.

In other words, those of you that have completed the exercises are more than welcome to help guide others through The Art of Animation:Master! For anyone with an aptitude for teaching... I think it is an excellent place to exercise those talents too!

...those of you that have completed the exercises are more than welcome to help guide others through The Art of Animation:Master! For anyone with an aptitude for teaching... I think it is an excellent place to exercise those talents too!

Plus there's an awful lot of truth in the old saying that 'the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else.' :)

• Admin

cover2004sm.gif

Menu

ANYONE CAN ANIMATE

1 - You're the Director

2 - A Chorus Line

3 - Move It

4 - It’s a Pitch

5 - Take a Walk

6 - The Door’s Stuck

7 - Can You Say That?

MODELING TAKES TALENT

8 - Customized Car

9 - Flower Power

10 - FW-190 Fighter

11 - Giraffe

12 - Lip Poses

13 - Show Some Backbone (Adding a Skeleton)

TECHNICAL DIRECTORS TRAINING

14 - Playing Marble (Materials)

15 - Eat My Dust (Volumetrics)

16 - Smoke, Wind, and Fire (Particles)

17 - Cosmic Bowling (Dynamics)

18 - Waving the Flag (Cloth)

19 - Flying South (Flocks)

The Art of Animation:Master is now being completed on a monthly schedule in the New Users Forum. The course is self paced but one month will be alloted in order to set a reasonable deadline for completion. The course can be completed in as little time as necessary or as much as is needed by each participant. If unable to complete the course in a month don't worry... We'll begin again 30 days later!

All available Video Tutorials related to TAOA:M can be found on one page:

The Art of Animation Master Video Tutorials

Visit: The Art of Animation Master (Archives) for examples of past participation

If you prefer to work off of an electronic copy both PDF and DOC formats of TAOA:M are available.

These links and more can be found in The 'Annotated' Art of Animation:Master. It attempts to expand TAOA:M with related links and information.

Doug,

I haven't forgotten about this problem. Actually, I have been reading more about the issue that you are having. To be honest, my search is of a purely altruistic nature. I have some interesting in solving you dilema for myself as well. You can actually do the entire "Door" project using keyframes as you have been doing. From what I can tell, I think that if you place keyframes not so far apart then you will not get this floating business that you are experiencing. This may be the quickest way for the interim.

I had found some websites that have information about this topic. There are 3 that I have found that something to do with what you are talking about. Actually, I think everyone in the community would benefit from your question regarding the "floatiness".

Kevin

Doug,

Just wondering how your floatiness issue turned out. I said that I was going to send some websites to look at but those websites are dealing with creating actions and handling the "inbetweeness", which is not exactly what you're doing. You are doing yours completely in the choreography, if I remember the exercise correctly now. For some reasons, my mind was in "action" mode. At anyrate, when you start implementing multiple actions in a choreograpy and you get stuck let me know. I have read quite a bit about those things. Good luck.

Ultraapa

Hey all,

Thanks for your suggestions and support. It's nice to know I'm not fighting the battle by myself. :rolleyes:

As for the individual suggestions, I'll start that exercise again with a different model, probably the bunny as I really like that model.

In regards to floatiness, as Ultraapa kindly suggested, I think I do need more keyframes. The problem is, if you don't define a keyframe BEFORE you want to make a bone move, then it just moves that bone from frame 0 to where you set the keyframe (eureka moment), i knew this but still getting the hang of it. So, if you're model's foot is going thru the floor you either have to set keyframes on every frame or deal with interpolation. Eeeek. Live and learn, learn alot.

Anyhow, I tried to animate a ball bouncing employing some of the above and it was very enlightening. Walking before running. It's all good. I learned more animating that stupid ball than my previous 3 tries at Door's Stuck. I think I'll do some more work on the ball and then try that exercise again with another model.

So, thanks again to you all on this. I'll be back.

Doug

• Admin

There is nothing that says those that have already completed exercises before cannot post their results in this first monthly course as well. Everyone is welcome to redo the exercises and add their personal touches.

The historical record is in place via The Art of Animation:Master (Archives). For anyone who wants to link to graphics already posted I'll be glad to supply the code to post to them. Although, I'd like to have everyone learn how to do it themselves of course.

There are other useful things we'll add into the mix as well depending on the needs of those that take the course. Here are a few that have been suggested to me by those that have participated thus far.

- Procedures for uploading graphics in the A:M Forum.

- Procedures for converting TGA sequences to GIF and AVI (and other movie formats).

- A:M Community (and #hash3d) chat based 'real time' assistance' with troubleshooting.

- Virtual Users Groups

...and more.

There are a lot of ideas out there but we won't chase all of them.

The one thing for certain is that we will focus on The Art of Animation:Master exercises.

I think that should be enough fun for one month! ;)