Hash, Inc. Forums

The Art of Animation:Master

• Admin

Mark,

Either I've mistaken you for someone else I know... or my mental stability is in question. I hope it's the former!

Mark and Mike have satisfied the requires... um... too. :)

That'd be Hynomike and PFMark for those like me that get confused easily. ;)

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark,

Either I've mistaken you for someone else I know... or my mental stability is in question. I hope it's the former!

Mark and Mike have satisfied the requires... um... too. :)

That'd be Hynomike and PFMark for those like me that get confused easily. ;)

Thought so LOL

Nice work Mark! :lol:

Hypnomike falls further behind. :(

Did you use smartskin? The book says to use it but the video says it will be covered in a further exercise.

I tried and wish I hadn't

I've posted a problem I have with this ex on http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9735 at this moment in time problem unsolved if anyone would like to visit the thread.

If I don't get it solved by tommorow I start again.

It would be nice to know what went wrong though as this exercise has left me totaly confused about smartskin. :blink:

Until then I'll kill time with the next exercise! :D

Bye for now.

I sure hope it does!

Get this......

When I go to action window my boneless thom loses an arm. I thought of a workaround by deleting the model in modeling mode leaving me with a correctly scaled skeleton. I then import a fresh boneless thom which lines up nicely with the existing skeleton.

I reassigned points in skeleton mode and resaved the model.

I went into action mode and...arm disappears again.

My brain hurts! :blink:

• Admin

Looks like you hit on a good solution mike.

I may have to go in and commit that to memory.

Nice work Mark.

So, outside of the general problems, how did you find rigging?

Does it seem intuitive? Difficult?

Other potentials are watching and learning from your experience. ;)

Looks like you hit on a good solution mike.

Sadly not, didn't work. :(

luckbat found that I'd deleted an elbow and a smartskin was refering to it.

Oddly enough this had no effect on his Mac, only my pc. He deleted ref to elbow but that didn't cure my problem.

I've redone it from scratch. Doesn't take nearly as long on the second attempt. :D

I found that repeating the exercise has helped me understand it better as I was thinking more rather than blindly following the tutorial.

Anyway here's my Exercise 13 rendered in shaded mode.

Backbone.mov

You You B%#^%$^ You :angry: that's it It's the home stretch now and Hypnomike has once again taken the lead :D But watch out Mark is just starting afternoon shift so I am working in the morning and late at night so watch out Mike I may retake the lead. ;)

Marble Exe.

Exe13marble0.jpg

I also have a video but I am running out of web space I may make some more up but with the race drawing to the finish line will Mark take to time :blink: Stay tune Gents same bat time same bat channel.

Hey Mark! :D

Thom looks good in red marble.

I've been using quicktime sorenson 3 good quality, no keyframes and 24 frames per second which brings in the following four second animation at only 565kb.

Try it, you won't need your webspace as often.

Here's ex 15. The slight glitch after about a second didn't show in realtime, maybe a render problem??

Dustv1.mov

Here's ex 15. The slight glitch after about a second didn't show in realtime, maybe a render problem??

I wonder if the 24 fps could be the problem? we are working in 30 fps in AM and if you render out to 24 fps would you lose 6 fps ever sec.? That could be the stammer which is about 1 sec into it?

Ok catching up allittle but not tied up yet. I made the additional web space which was easier than I thought but still takes some time.

this is the animation of 13 & 14 combo

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Ejlh/Movies/Exe13marble.mov

This is exe 15

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Ejlh/Movies/exe15.mov

I am hoping Mike has alot to do in the morning so I can retake the lead :rolleyes:

I really like this having someone else doing the exe. at the same time it helps motivate me and incourages me to do better.

Hi Mark!

Nice work again.

It's great that we're bouncing off each other, really helps us progress.

The glitch on the knight shouldn't be related to 24fps as I've changed the default setting to 24fps and altered the keys to suit. If I'd done the keys in the wrong place it would have glitched on every step.

Gotta keep my head screwed on though because the loadable projects (eg fire) are stored at 30fps.

24 fps is recommended in David Rogers A:M 200 guide because it is the standard for most animation studios and projects and, he says, "it's easier to transfer animation from 24 to 30 or 25 fps than the other way round". Also less frames to render! ;)

Well I'd better get a move on, you're back on my tail! :D

See ya later!

• Admin
The glitch on the knight shouldn't be related to 24fps as I've changed the default setting to 24fps and altered the keys to suit.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of those places where useful information is stored there is a place where cautions are...

Wait a sec... I had the info pasted into a word document from the Tech Ref as I was typing... what a coincidence...

Regarding Feet Per Second:

Keyframes are associated with an exact time, measured in seconds. The time depends on two things: when the keyframe was created and the frame rate set for the project. With frame rate set at 30 frames per second (fps), frame “15” represents 0.5 seconds into the animation. If the frame rate is set at 24 fps, the same frame “15” represents 15/24 second, which equals 0.625 seconds, which causes the keyframe to occur significantly later in the animation. Because of this, setting the project frame rate BEFORE animating is EXTREMELY important. The default is 30 fps.However, after the animating is complete, changing the frame rate allows you to render different numbers of frames per second. This means you can create a 2 hour movie, render it out at 24 fps for film with the frame rate set at “24”, then set the frame rate to 30 fps and render for video, and you will see the same 2 hours of animation with the same timing, just more frames were rendered.

*Emphasis added. Note the words BEFORE and EXTREMELY where emphasized by Hash Inc in the original though.

I'm not saying this is the problem you are seeing... but since I had the info handy... I thought I'd add it in for the sake of discussion.

-Rodney

Because of this, setting the project frame rate BEFORE animating is EXTREMELY important. The default is 30 fps

I'd read that very piece on the tech manual Rodney and I set to 24fps before starting the exercise.

My default has been reset to 24fps for reasons mentioned in my last post and as "Eat my dust" was started from scratch that remained unchanged.

I do have to tamper with the timing in the exercises at the moment but as I plan to work on 24fps it's better in the long run that I stick with it where possible.

If the problem was with my timing I'd expect the glitch to occur on every cycle.

I'll maybe rerender at a later date.

Mark you are in luck, I'm visiting relatives so will be off the computer for about 24hrs.

Good luck. :D

Have problems with smoke I am trying to see what I have done wrong but may restart exe 16. I am afraid I have not pulled ahead of Mike with this problem <_>

Take a look any ideas on what I have done wrong

http://home.cogeco.ca/~jlh/Movies/Smokewindfire2.mov

I am having problems with page 170 middle paragraph

"Click the "Rotate Manipulator" button and the "Manipulator Properties" Button."

"Rotate Manipulator" this is the round advance Manipulator button were we rotate model right? But were is the "Manipulator Properties" Button."? that I am having problems with. I am changing rotation in properties window right there is no "Manipulator Properties" Button?

Then x-90 works but when I type y as 180 it goes to zero the force rotated but y says 0 Z works with 30

anyways going to look at it agian with a fresh look

• Admin

That would be this one on the far left:

Also note that when rotating, the driver you use may effect the rotation and cause problems if the kind of driver isn't taken into account.

Example: If you have problems with the Euler (oiler) driver putting in numbers higher than 180 you can usually enter lower numbers and arrow the number higher. I'm not sure why it won't take larger number directly... it's been that way since v8.5 as I recall.

ManipulatorPropertiesButton.jpg

Ok my timeline window for difuse color for fire does not look like the picture on page 167

I have a screen shot in my clip board but can not remember how to get it into a format I can post? Ihave done this before but always have trouble remembering how each time. I think a paste it into a word doc before but I have created Jpeg form the clip board before but I can not remember how :rolleyes:

Not sure why or how I did this but when I am in chor window top view I see X axis and Z normally when I click on the force wind and fire the axis shift all over hte place. I mushed have meshed up the axis system some how and unless someone has a quick fix I think it si time to start over.

Rodney thanks everthing started to com into place once you told me whch button to use ;) I think I screwed it up trying different things and I can get this done quickly now that I know what to do. But in the morning good night

Here's my bowling ex 17

Sorry about the size of the animation, my internet service provider is having problems so I can't post to my site. :(

Although the exercise worked out okay I feel that a little further explanation on rigid bodies would have helped me understand what I was doing.

For example, why set enforcement on the pins to 0% at the first frame and 100% just before impact?

Surely 100% at the first frame would have also worked as there was no collision to detect anyway at that point.

Was this simply a way of speeding up the calculations or is there another reason for this???

incidentally although I set rigid body on all pins I only altered properties on the front pin so that I could test it first.

It worked ok even though I didn't alter properties on any other pin.

BTW I didn't really get a strike I cheated the middle pin manually! :D

Bowling_Project160x120.mov

When I'd rendered my animation for five seconds I noticed that the file was maybe small enough to get away with the full 20 seconds in under 1 meg.

I reloaded my project and was greeted with this (I've rendered it as I don't know how to upload a screenshot)

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened??

post-22-1101330240.jpg

• Admin

Welcome Richard!

Glad to have you with us.

To anyone looking in, Mark and Mike (and others) can attest to the fact that completing the exercises along with others is a great way to go. Highly recommended.

Come on in and join the fun! :)

Ok doing it from scratch and when I get to page 170 "To make the wind blow to the left, type "180" in for Y , and "30" in for Z.

Ok The 90 for X works fine but the 180 Y shows 0 in Y after wards so I did the 30 for Z and this is what I see on my screen

help1.jpg

Hi Mark! :D

Ok The 90 for X works fine but the 180 Y shows 0 in Y after wards so I did the 30 for Z and this is what I see on my screen

If you did 90 for x that may be the problem.

x should be minus 90.

Hope this helps.

No that was a type O I have -90 for X

Well I rendered it out and if you look really close I can see a hint for smoke.

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Ejlh/Movies/SmokewindfireA.mov

Other than that I have checked all the setting and I am using AM ver11.1

On to exe 17

Hi Richard,

Hey my man your doing real fine, the walk tut is just fine and I just love the body language in the Door exercise. I'd say very well done and keep it up, it's well worth the effort to gain the knowledge of operating this fine software. Besides it's great fun anyways :-)

Just waiting for my laptop to come home but I am working slowly on my tuts as well :-)

Hey Richard..you are the man! :D

Great door's stuck, this exercise is rapidly becoming a classic in our forum!

Mike I did not cheat I really did get a strike

Well done Mark!!

As to my little "cheat" for my strike I can only say A:M gave me the power so I used it! ;)

I can see a hint for smoke

I can see your smoke just fine. The sky seems to flicker on both our attempts on this exercise, anyone know the cause?

Here's my final exercise...... :D:D:D

and it weighs in at 99kb!

Flock160x120.mov

And here's my full flag anim, I found a workaround when the project did not reload properly and I've reported it as a possible bug.

If it does not reload and produces my previously posted still simply delete the new spring system, this will restore the flag, and then redo from the clothwizard.

Flag20second_160x120.mov

• Admin

Congratulations Mike!

Your certificate is 95% complete... just need to personalize it a bit more.

I'll try to post it tomorrow. If you want anything specific on it (i.e. Mike Gibson) that'd be good to know. ;)

Thanks much for your efforts and excellence.

You've most definitely shown that animating can be rewarding and fun! :)

If you've collected notes along the way(Example: Flag issues, strobing lights) we can look closer at those areas as other people run through them in the future.

Thanks Mike!

• Admin

On a slightly different note... It would appear that Quantity as well as Quality has been on the rise lately. I thought we had a little more time, but here we are crossing the "10,000 posts" viewed mark!

Another badge of excellence for Mike Gibson and the other TAOA:M alumni to wear.

As of this date: 10,024 Views and 707 posts.

Wow! :)

Thanks to you Rodney for your help and encouragement! :D

A big thank you to <pf>mark, it's been great working through these exercises with you.

Thanks also to all the (many) folk who have helped me on the various forums, I couldn't have done it without you.

Man this sounds like a simpering actor receiving his oscar!!??? :(

The difference is this is sincere! ;)

I am Done! :D;):lol::P

Bowling clip

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Ejlh/Movies/Bowling%20Project.mov

Waving the Flag

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Ejlh/Movies/US%20Flag.mov

Flying South

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Ejlh/Movies/Flying%20south.mov

Wow I am proud to have gone this far in such a sort time :D . I would like to thank Rodney for hosting this section of the forums and for running this Online class. I would like to thank the members that have helped me by replying to my questions and the fellow particapants of this class. I would especially like to thank Mike for making this so much fun and encouraging me to keep at this. The friendly competition for getting the exe. done before the other and raising the bar which encouraged me to try to be more original in my work.

I feel that this course is a great success and that working with other people in this manor that is both very flexible in timing but still very response in getting help to the particapants is much more rewarding than taking a regular night school course at a college.

• Admin

Money... lots and lots of money... and I'd like Animation:Master to create what's in my mind automatically. And while I'm asking... world peace... and a hamburger without cheese... and...

Umm... no. ;)

That and the completion date is all the info that is required.

If you want anything in particular on your certificate I try to honor requests to the degree my fragile sanity will allow. :)

Well done Mark! :D:D

Your animations all look great, isn't the flocking effect cool? :lol:

I can't post large resolution animations at the moment as due to a technical problem with my service provider I can't post on my website.

This is just the beginning of our A:M adventure, I'm going to mount my certificate above the computer as a constant reminder of the great time I've had completing the course.

I'm taking a short break as I have an exam coming up, then I'll get stuck into some of the other tutorials.

I've got some Anzovin discs for Christmas and of course there are lots of free tutes on the web!

No plans for anything specific but I'll do some shorts as and when inspiration strikes.

What do you intend to do next Mark?