Hash, Inc. Forums

The Art of Animation:Master

Thanks for the info Mark. :D

I've done a quick search of spitfire sites but have only come across line drawings in profile and to the side.

You may be interested in this site http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/cap.htm which has info on many WW11 aircraft. In the spitfire section they compare performance of various marks against captured FW190s and ME109s.

I'm currently on the flower so it could be a few days before I start on the FW190. I've got an exam coming up so not as much free time as usual!

Good luck with the spitfire gifs.

If you find them can you email them to me please?

I'll send to you if I come across one first.

I've got a great book with the pics in it but it's less than ideal because all the pics span two pages and will not scan well. :(

Good luck. :D

I started the FW190 last night I have not tried to find any pics for a spit yet. But I have a great group of friends in my squadron who can probably help out with pics. If you want to do the Spit I can see what I can dig up for you. It's really no big deal the more we do the better we will become at modeling ;) Right now for the moment I think we might want to carry on the momentum we have for the tutorials and start the model sharing idea after Rodney graduates us both :D

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A spit would be nice. :D

At the moment I'm just about finished on the flower.

Boy...the book and the video do things different in this exercise! :unsure:

I'll post the problems I came across when I post the image.

Hopefully it will help those who follow! ;)

Started the fw190 this is what I have so far.

Looks good so far. :D

I've just completed the flower. I had a few problems with this one which I will list below so that others can learn from my experience.

There were a few differences between the book and video instructions.

1 Different number of bones on stem. (not a prob but I thought I'd mention it)

2 The book says to click and drag bones to just above spline rings in the stem whereas the video says below. (does this make any difference?)

3 The book/video does certain tasks in a different order which makes it difficult to follow if you are using them together.

4 The duplicator wizard is pictured incorrectly in the book. In the Duplication Method box it says Extrude then Copy, the reverse is true in my version of AM (11) and also in the video.

In the long run I learned alot more because of this (having to work things out myself) but there must be many new users who can't figure it out and give up before they've really had the chance to learn something.

Gee.... This sounds like a huge whinge fest!! :angry:

Not my intention though, if no one points it out it won't get fixed. ;)

For what it's worth I'd use the video tutorials if I had to make a choice.

Anyway now that that's off my chest here's Ex. 9 :D

post-22-1098889674.jpg

I like the Picture Mike B) Rodney hit the nail on the head you always go the extra mile to create something instead of just copying the norm which is a great thing :)

I got Your E-mail and I have sent the spit pics to you. You may want to erase the back ground? I am not sure or cut the image to just the plane size. Do you have photo shop if not and you have a problem I can do it for you. I can get Alot of other plane pictures if anyone wants them. We could swap them and then do the aireal combat animations ;)

This is a text copy of the E-mail incase it does not get throught

Hi Mike I am trying to attach this zip file and reply so you will get it.

1) do you have win zip? if not www.winzip.com and get it there is a free

trail which lasts for ever just asks you if you want to buy it before using.

I been ignoring it for years LOL.

2) the file might not come through this is kinda large even after

compressing to send via E-mail

Let me know if you get it

Mark

Rodney & Mark:

Thanks for the kind remarks folks! :D

I enjoy adding my own touches, it makes the exercises more fun.

Hey Mark! Received your e mail.

Thanks, it unpacked fine & I can use photoshop elements to get rid of the background.

I'll wait till I've been certified.. :blink: ..before trying that one.

Keep posting! :D

Worked on the FW190 last night and had some difficulties. First I am using the web tutorials using both seemed difficult seeing they are so different. I like the fact they are different you see more ways of doing things and if you get stuck the other method might help you out. But one thing that through me is when he is show the copy/flip/paste command he does not say that he is holding down the shift key while he has the tail wing group selected to get the point on the spline selected which is required to have the command work. I realize that making these to include everything would be difficult but I thought I would mention it if nothing more than to help out those reading this post.

Another suggestion is when you group the wings you should name the grouped wing. Once you move the wing into the fuselage you will have a hard time moving it out if you need to later. I found this out the hard way

But I would say things are going well and I am enjoying myself. Another suggestion don't look at the suggested time on the book this got me thinking that I had a time limit :rolleyes: silly I know but after ignoring that the exercise becomes more fun. It's not how fast you get it done it's how much you have learned that matters.

this is what I have so far

fw190wip2.jpg

don't look at the suggested time on the book this got me thinking that I had a time limit :rolleyes: silly I know but after ignoring that the exercise becomes more fun. It's not how fast you get it done it's how much you have learned that matters.

Amen to that ;)

Hey Mark, looks good. :D

Thanks for the useful tips, I'm just about to start this project. :lol:

I write a nice long paragraph to help Mike out and when I hit submit I lose everthing :angry:

Ok This time I am selecting all and coping it to my clip board <_>

Ok again

Mike I suggest pausing the video just before he successfully gets the wheel to lathe properly. Look closley at the three colored dots and press shift click on a point on the spline hold shift and box select entire circle press advanced manipulator and try to rotate the dots tell you get what he has then if you have not lost the group connect press the lathe button. I found this not so bad I work with the cartesian coordinate system in my line of work so I am used to working in 3d. It's holding the shift key and trying to click on what I want without losing the group then I seem to have to start all over if I mesh up.

Anyway mike through away any clocks near your computer this is a LONG ONE :blink:

But have pateniance it is worth the effort see what I have so far

fw190wip3.jpg

Good luck

• Admin

Exercise 10 has produced a little confusion when it comes to lathing. This one has been needing documentation for awhile but never got around to it.

Thanks to others there is now some good info on the subject:

Discussion about troubleshooting lathing in Exercise 10 - FW-190 Fighter

Since I get to pat myself on the back by linking this related disussion I'll link it too.

Advanced Lathing Methodologies

I write a nice long paragraph to help Mike out and when I hit submit I lose everthing :angry:

Thanks for persevering Mark! :lol:

Your help is appreciated.

Your aircraft is starting to take shape, I'm alittle behind you on that.

I've almost finished the fuselage and the only problem I've come across is that the cockpit in frontview looks higher than the side.

He had the same problem in the video and on checking the images it is apparent that all three (top,front and side) will never line up exactly.

I guess this gives us an opportunity for some improvisation and creativity! ;)

<Rodney> Thanks for the useful links.

BTW I've managed to access my free webspace, once I've got it up and running I'll be able to post bigger files! At last. ;)

I've almost finished the fuselage and the only problem I've come across is that the cockpit in frontview looks higher than the side.

He had the same problem in the video and on checking the images it is apparent that all three (top,front and side) will never line up exactly.

I guess this gives us an opportunity for some improvisation and creativity! ;)

Yes and when you get the the Elevators (Rear tail wings) you we see it there also and in the videos. I have some stuff going on this weekend and well probably not have tome to work on mine tell next week. One thing I have been doing is uploading my jpg to a free picture hosting site then coping the IMG to my posts. This is simpler than setting up a website and good for WIP pics IMHO. If you want to try this this is the address of the site I am using.

http://photobucket.com

Thanks for the info Mark, but I've already accessed my free 55meg! :lol:

I'm not creating a proper site I'm just dumping my files so that I can post my animations.

With regard to the FW 190, I've stretched one of the rotoscopes in 1 axis only to make them match up.

I see what you mean about the 2 hours. Having said that this has been the most rewarding exercise to date, I'm learning alot from it.

Any newbies reading this - please make the effort and complete the AOM tutorials, you won't regret it.

I think that one of the reasons that only one person in a hundred keeps up this hobby is that not enough beginers bother with the basics first.

Lecture over. <_<

I'm reposting a larger version of my door's stuck to see if my webspace is working you can download the file on this link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hypnomike/AM%...9;s%20Stuck.avi

Enjoy (if it loads) ;)

I think that one of the reasons that only one person in a hundred keeps up this hobby is that not enough beginers bother with the basics first.

Wow looking closer at the door is stuck I see the quality in the animation. The foot locationing is much better than mine. Well mike raising the bar agian I see I well have to work extra hard on my next animation :D

Is the quoted statement accurate? I would believe it there are alot things in life that hinder us from learning and being able to do all the things we want in life. I recently found out that I have the longest lasting member of my squadron. Not the oldest I have been a member longer than any other member. We just celebeated our 6th birthday as a squadron :o We have had plenty of more skilled flyers than me and some that are more active that is for sure. But the one thing that I have over alot of other former members is that I have not quite ;) . I always shake my head and wonder evertime I read a post in our forums that another member is quiting and they allways say that they are quiting because they do not have enough time to play as much as they would like so they are quiting. I always wonder how is quiting going to give them more time to do something they state they enjoy :rolleyes: So yes mike people should stick to the tutorials and do them but the most important thing anyone can do to succed in any venture is to simple not quite ;) We may not be able to do they all the things we want in a day but tomorow is a another day. And another chance to learn and create a animation or save a another Phantom Fighter that is leaking oil and fuel and being chased by two enemy fighters. Which happened a couple of weeks ago and makes me feel B):):D;)

Keep posting guys

Hi Mark! :D

Thanks for your kind remarks.

The one in a hundred sticking with it was taken from the Martin Hash Chat (Martin himself said it).

I take your point about people not quitting, it certainly helps to have a positive attitude.

The point I was trying to make was that some (possibly most....?) users take this up for enjoyment. If they do not take the time to learn the basics then simple tasks become a real chore so they look for another hobby.

I guess it's the 'I want it now!' syndrome! <_< A little effort to complete the exercises makes for a solid foundation so that the user spends more time creating and less time struggling with a program that they perhaps haven't bothered to learn.

Keep up your good work Mark, it's great to compare notes as we progress! :D

Just thaught i'd drop in and say that u guys are doing great work!

It's really good how u are helping each other along with answers to problems and things to look out for. :)

Keep it up.

I really enjoyed ex 10 - FW-190 fighter, my favourite exercise :)

Ok that's it if it was not 1.00am I would start on a Animation with keekat and my FW 190 but for now I simple picture will have to do :D

Keekatfw190.jpg

Reikster

You are blowing my mined with the stuff you are coming up with. The move it was great as well as the can can. But you started something here and we are not letting you off the hook I want each exercise to out do the the last ;) (Just kidding)

Time for bed but Mike I will post tomorow I found another possible problem they have renamed a edit tool Can remember now will look again in the morning.

Good night all

Great exercise 3 Reikster! It was pretty funny the first time through but I didn't fully appreciate it until I scrubbed through it slowly to see each picture. Some very nice poses! If you could keep each picture up a bit longer I think it would make it alot better.

Hey Eric, great exercises! :D

BTW How did you sort out the texture problem in the end?

See you later! :lol:

Thanks, Mike! I'm glad everyone likes them. I'm having fun :-D

Well, I guess I didn't really fix it per se, as much as let it do what it wanted to. for some reason it seemed that as I zoomed in with the camera it went from a "seamless" texture to a non seamless one. I don't know if there is a limit to number of repeats in a texture combined with seamless, but I simply unchecked seamless and let it be what it 'wanted to' for the whole shot. The ironic thing is that non-seamless looks better to me for that particular texture. I only checked seamless cause I was didn't know how the texture would map up. If I hadn't done that I would have been oblivious to it all.

time for work!

later,

eric

Heh heh heh......that's terrific Pengy! :D

A great idea, very funny :lol::lol:

How did you get such a long clip into so small a file??

I got WAY to carried awayt with this one

I vote you keep getting carried away, this is great work.

Keep posting Pengy, inspiring stuff.

Going to spend some time on a short non tutorial for a couple of days. I person I work with broke her ankle and she is also retirering before she will be back to work :( So they are putting together a gift basket and asking people to fill the baskey up with cards and letters. Hay sound like a CD from Keekat with a get well message and happy retirement sound in order ;)

• Admin

:o Wow! The concept of Martin Hash's basic theme; "One man, one machine, one feature film" put into action! :o

**You guys are going to scare away new people with the quality of your work! :D

Mike... only Pengy knows how he managed to compress all that into such a small size. I suspect the grayscale imagery was an important factor.

Outstanding work Pengy!

**Just kidding! They'll be inspired.

:o Wow! The concept of Martin Hash's basic theme; "One man, one machine, one feature film" put into action! :o

You guys are going to scare away new people with the quality of your work! :D

Hey! stop reading my mind...err...oh well ;)

Seriously, though, isn't that kinda everyones goal here :)

As soon as I get to where I can make some decent models, my little furry friends pictured in my icon are going to start having some Calvin & Hobbes meets James Bond style adventures :)

it's all about the story :)

eric

Hay sound like a CD from Keekat with a get well message and happy retirement sound in order ;)

Be sure to post it Mark :lol:

Calvin & Hobbes meets James Bond style adventures

Look forward to that one. B)

Hey guys I've finished the FW.....at last....longest 2 hours of my life ;)

I've already posted one problem I came across in the New Users section but here's another....

I saved the model in a file outside of the AM directories (I keep all of my files there in case I have to reinstall AM) and as soon as I did all the decals vanished from my model!!??!! :( ..VERY ANNOYING>> :angry:

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong will be gratefully received.

Oh and here's the completed model. Exam coming up but I should be starting the giraffe by the weekend. Five hours..???? <_<

Thank you for listening, hypnomike has left the building....

post-22-1099434262.jpg

[quote name=Mark' date='Nov 2 2004, 06:16 PM] Hay sound like a CD from Keekat with a get well message and happy retirement sound in order  ;)

Be sure to post it Mark :lol:

Calvin & Hobbes meets James Bond style adventures

Look forward to that one. B)

Hey guys I've finished the FW.....at last....longest 2 hours of my life ;)

I've already posted one problem I came across in the New Users section but here's another....

I saved the model in a file outside of the AM directories (I keep all of my files there in case I have to reinstall AM) and as soon as I did all the decals vanished from my model!!??!! :( ..VERY ANNOYING>> :angry:

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong will be gratefully received.

Oh and here's the completed model. Exam coming up but I should be starting the giraffe by the weekend. Five hours..???? <_>

Thank you for listening, hypnomike has left the building....

fw190keekatfly0.jpg

Here is another Picture of fw190

I started my get well message and came across someting worth noting. I page up the image quality before starting dope sheeting and adjusting timing of lip synk. Well my system can not handle that I wasted about an hour trying to figure why the scrubbing was out of synk before I turned down the video (Page Down) then it was in sink <_>

About the decals Mike I had the same problem I am not sure 100% but I cleared AM (Closed all windows) started new CHor and brought in my model and everthing came back You also need to save the project as a model open model and in model window right click and select save it promps you for a dir and then it makes a mdl? file I think it was late and I was tried but I thought I lost the decals after I started playing around after I was done also. IF you saved the project it there you just have to close everthing then open the project or model again.

Again I am not sure

• Admin

Nice guys! :)

Here's a challenge.. if you choose to take it.

Test your internet coordinating skills and see if you can make two animations that when put together have both your planes... or a group of them flying together.

Not required... but it'd be interesting.

It would also exercise your use of alpha channel masking. :)

An alternative would be to share models or projects with each other and make the animation that way.

What do you say?

*Mark the addition of the reflection in the window really makes your last image shine!

Edited by Rodney

Here is another Picture of fw190

Nice pic. Mark, Keecat certainly look like he's enjoying himself! :D

You could make it even better if you rerender without cast shadows, the only shadow cast is on the clouds background. You still get shading so give it a try.

About the decals Mike I had the same problem I am not sure 100% but I cleared AM (Closed all windows) started new CHor and brought in my model and everthing came back You also need to save the project as a model open model and in model window right click and select save it promps you for a dir and then it makes a mdl? file I think it was late and I was tried but I thought I lost the decals after I started playing around after I was done also. IF you saved the project it there you just have to close everthing then open the project or model again.

Yeh, it's pretty confusing I saved my model and the decals disappeared before my very eyes.. :(

I started a new choreography and reimported the model, still no decals.. :angry: so I bailed out of AM without saving the project and when I reloaded the decals were back. :D

I have been advised to embed everything but KenH tells me that images aren't included, I've left a post asking if this includes decals.

I'm sure you can save with decals but I don't know how :blink:

Great idea Rodney! :D

I don't know about Mark but I'd like to get to grips better with the program first. ;)

At the moment I'm having to fight the program to get it to do what I want (see my recent posts). If I can't save my own work properly then it'll get a whole lost worse sharing files.

Nice guys! :)

Test your internet coordinating skills and see if you can make two animations that when put together have both your planes... or a group of them flying together.

Not required... but it'd be interesting.

It would also exercise your use of alpha channel masking. :)

An alternative would be to share models or projects with each other and make the animation that way.

What do you say?

I have been thinking of asking Mike if he wants to try a combined effort on a animation. I think that would be fun and a great learning experience. I feel that we both have the same thing in mind that we want to keep the momentum up on the tutorials and get them done. After exc. 19 is done I would be willing to work with Mike for sure There alot of work in making a good animation and seeing we both are about the same experience this would work out well for both of us.

It would also exercise your use of alpha channel masking.

What's a alpha channel :rolleyes:

Ok stuck on something on my get well animation. I have made 6 action for lip synking seeing I had alot to say ;) I saved them as actions 1-6 then I open chor winding I create a path restraint and have keekat swager walk along the path for 6 sec. I move the camera and three lights in synk with keekat's swagger. scrub through and everthing looks fine. I want to add another action #1 5 frames into the swagger I put the time to 5th frame and drag action one into chor. This is when things do not happen the way I want instead of keekat walking and talking for 6 sec. the chor turns into 12 sec and the camera action is now out of synk? How do I do this the right way :(

• Admin
What's a alpha channel

Besides being a secret weapon of artists:

Render Option Object. Alpha.

This is commonly referred to as the Alpha Channel. This is stored in the final rendered file and defines what parts of the image have transparency and how much. Not all file formats support Alpha buffers.

The way to do it is:

Once you select Render

look at the bottom of your option panel under OPTIONS/BUFFER

Change the ALPHA setting from OFF to ON

this will cause everything in your image that doesn't have an object in it to render as transparant (for example: the sky)

Now armed with a sequence of TGA files with just the plane flying through you can add that sequence (composite) along with other layers either as a rotoscope, layer, patch image, decal... etc.

You can also use the power of compositing in othe illustration/drawing applications.

In that Render options panel you'll see other options as well such as rendering ONLY shadows.

Try it with something simple first. In A:M you should be able to see the power of compositing in real time.

• Admin
This is when things do not happen the way I want instead of keekat walking and talking for 6 sec. the chor turns into 12 sec and the camera action is now out of synk? How do I do this the right way

The first thing that comes to mind is that you may be editing the wrong Chor action. Make sure you are on *intended* action identified with the little green tic mark.

Here is a short discussion on it:

That little green tic mark in v11

Hello all, Thanks for the kind words, Loads of things I wanted to do better with it but they were out of my skill level just now :) As far as the compression no secret (harhar) I bought a version of sorenson squeeze off of ebay. It compresses the heck out of files. That clip was 423 mb and it knocked it right down. There are some compression artifacts though. The name on the door suddenly appears..when Keekat is pushing the letter up it should be faster. But thankfully it didnt throw off the lipsync. Like everyone has said you guys keep raising the bar, I'm just trying not to hit my head :D

This is when things do not happen the way I want instead of keekat walking and talking for 6 sec. the chor turns into 12 sec and the camera action is now out of synk? How do I do this the right way

The first thing that comes to mind is that you may be editing the wrong Chor action. Make sure you are on *intended* action identified with the little green tic mark.

Here is a short discussion on it:

That little green tic mark in v11

I posted this in the new user section as well and I got the answear and it worked I had to alter the ease in my constraint on the path. This was no ease thing to do and I dout I could explain or remeber how I did the ease adjustment (It's late and I am getting woszzie :rolleyes: I gave up on the walking and talking as it was to much to try to do under a time frame. I have to have this ready for friday! :( So I went with what I know and I am working on a simpler ver. more like my Secert exe.

Well Guys just thought I would call in and sort of introduce myself, I just ordered AM, got the confirmation email last night so it's on it's way. I am in the UK so it will probably take some time to get here, but I am really looking forward to attempting the Art of Animation Master tutorials. I have downloaded them all and watched them, really eager to try them for real.

I must say this forum appears to be very friendly and helpful and I am enjoying reading through the threads, so I look forward to joining you all and completing these tutorials.

Bill

• Admin

Welcome Bill!

I am in the UK so it will probably take some time to get here

You may want to look out your window... because I've never seen any product ship as fast as A:M! :blink:

I'm sure you'll feel right at home here in the A:M Community.

-Rodney

Well Guys just thought I would call in and sort of introduce myself, I just ordered AM, got the confirmation email last night so it's on it's way. I am in the UK so it will probably take some time to get here, but I am really looking forward to attempting the Art of Animation Master tutorials. I have downloaded them all and watched them, really eager to try them for real.

I must say this forum appears to be very friendly and helpful and I am enjoying reading through the threads, so I look forward to joining you all and completing these tutorials.

Bill

Welcome Willog

I know you will enjoy AM I have had it for a month now and I am really happy with it.

Well my get well animation is rendering now I know I did not get is as good as I knew I could have but I have run out of time. They are giving her a gift basket and this will be in it. 20 hours tell the render is done :o WOW it is down to 18 hours now I should have fixed my UPS incase we have a power out failure. Crossing my fingers. I can only guess of the size of this :blink: I will have to do a Mini render to share with you guys after :P

Wow You can tell I posted this at 4.30 am I just edited it you guys most think I am really out of it after reading that :D Down to 2 1/2 hours to go.

I have been thinking I might be able to swing a upgrade for X-mas. Is there anything I should know about when upgrading in relation to AM. Do different video cards or CPU Intel Or AMD work better for rendering? I am also heavily into PC gaming and also do DV Camcorder editing and I want to get a DVD burner as well. I know the gaming stuff well and have lots of friends to get opinions but I want to know if anything adhances AM or helps speeds rendering.

Thanks for the welcome guys much appreciated, really struggling to wait for the package to arrive :-)

And ... Rodney.... I am sure that AM gets shipped with all haste ... however it's a pity that perhaps Hash doesn't take control of the postal system here. The Royal Mail and Parcel Force have been known to get parcels to their destinations on time, but that would be more by chance than by organisation :-)

Anyways looking forward to modeling and animating with AM

Cheers again

Bill