Hash, Inc. Forums

The Art of Animation:Master

I'm liking the way you (and VF) are rendering and posting your images.

Hey Rodney,

Here's Exercise 13, right I still owe you Exercise 11 & 12 ;) However, since you didn't like my teardrop, here's boneless Thom...

Tne interface is prettier on the mac than on the pc.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

VF said,

... However, since you didn't like my teardrop, here's boneless Thom...

:lol:

I assure you I have nothing against teardrops.... your's or any other.

Not sure what to suggest though... so I'll not suggest anything at this time.

If you haven't posted for everyone to take a stab at.... please do.

You may have already done so....

Thanks for Exercise 13 too! I've added it to the IOU list.

All,

If I've missed any certificates for Exercise 1 please remind me via email at: rodney.baker@comcast.net

I'm moving on to the Exercise 2 certificate next!

With luck... the first ones should be out within two days.

Thanks for everyones patience... been working a bit more than usually these past few days.

Best,

Rodney

Not sure what to suggest though... so I'll not suggest anything at this time.

If you haven't posted for everyone to take a stab at.... please do.

You may have already done so...

Right...oh, you mean like this :

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5334

Thanks for Exercise 13 too! I've added it to the IOU list.

Hey, you're doing a great job...keep it up, BTW, did you watch the Exercise 13 video? ;)

• Admin
... BTW, did you watch the Exercise 13 video?

VF,

Answer: Yes, several times!

Ummm.... was that the question? :unsure:

Bravo... you appear to be in the lead for completing all the exercises.... looks like you may be the first to 'officially' make it to the finish line!

*Added: Glad you found a solution to your teardrop too! :)

Number 4 ... trying to see if a flash movie plays in this forum (didnt work ... so I went with a gif)... I animated the "AOL" guy instead ... he kinda looks ok for my 1st try :).

just keeeeep watching him ... ok keep watching ... you eyes are getting heavy (no ... er ... you not getting a headache) ... sleepy sleepy ... when I count to three ... bark like a dog!! ... bark I say!!

... ok repeat After me ... I'm not getting a headache ... Im not getting a headache.

:rolleyes:

• Admin

Dan,

For whatever anyone can say about gif animations... I think they are still cool.

I wonder if there is a maximum size limitation on gif animations???

*Added: You are right... staring too long gives you a headache! :wacko:

Dan,

For whatever anyone can say about gif animations... I think they are still cool.

I wonder if there is a maximum size limitation on gif animations???

*Added:  You are right... staring too long gives you a headache!  :wacko:

Well ... not sure really ... it says the max file size is 1MB ... and that one was only 35K or so ... as is this one :)

Kinda fun :) ...

post-22-1082963659.gif

• Admin

Actually, I mean gif files in general....

As in I wanna make an entire 2 hour movie in one .gif file kinda thing....

Not that I do..... :lol:

My Robot Movie has a few examples of what I'm talking about...

I'd kind of like to make a scene by scene movie with just gif animations...

Do not ask me WHY I want to do this :lol:

I guess I just consider it a challenge. :)

Actually, I mean gif files in general....

As in I wanna make an entire 2 hour movie in one .gif file kinda thing....

Not that I do.....  :lol:

My Robot Movie has a few examples of what I'm talking about...

I'd kind of like to make a scene by scene movie with just gif animations...

Do not ask me WHY I want to do this  :lol:

I guess I just consider it a challenge.  :)

I like ur robot stuff :) .... I dunno 4 sure but I imagine you could probably get quite abit into a gif ... Ive never heard of a limit (not that there isnt one).

:blink::lol::blink:

BTW ... how did you do that "Black & White" gif animation of your beastiary ... did u render that in Hash?

Numero 6 ...

Got a few done over the last day or so :P

Since it has audio I made a flash file ... sure wish the forum would accept .swf files :( ... would be cool if it did. :wub:

I also cleaned up the audio file so its less noisey and eq'd it abit so it sounds better, I also added a tad of hand/arm movement to the animation.

KeyTalk.zip

• Admin
... how did you do that "Black & White" gif animation of your beastiary ... did u render that in Hash?

Yessir! Rendered out in hash. I did use a photoshoplike effect (I believe it's called 'sketch') to add the pencil effect to the black and white lines. You can do the sketch effect in A:M as well... but I knew how to do it in a few seconds in CorelPhotopaint versus... 5 - 10 minutes in A:M.

One way to experiment would be to apply an image of pencil lines (scanned or created in a graphics program) over the top of an animation via 'Layers'. With a little transparency applied to the layer you'd get close to the same effect.

Numero 5...Numero 6 eh? No sprechezhi spanichie. ;)

Lookout VF... Dan is catching up to you!!!

Concerning Flash... If you can find a cheap (or free) web host you can link to the flash file. Many services (AOL, Comcast, etc) provide free web space with the Internet service. Not sure what you may have...

... how did you do that "Black & White" gif animation of your beastiary ... did u render that in Hash?

Yessir! Rendered out in hash. I did use a photoshoplike effect (I believe it's called 'sketch') to add the pencil effect to the black and white lines. You can do the sketch effect in A:M as well... but I knew how to do it in a few seconds in CorelPhotopaint versus... 5 - 10 minutes in A:M.

One way to experiment would be to apply an image of pencil lines (scanned or created in a graphics program) over the top of an animation via 'Layers'. With a little transparency applied to the layer you'd get close to the same effect.

Numero 5...Numero 6 eh? No sprechezhi spanichie. ;)

Lookout VF... Dan's catching up to you!!!

Concerning Flash... If you can find a cheap (or free) web host you can link to the flash file. Many services (AOL, Comcast, etc) provide free web space with the Internet service. Not sure what you may have...

Hmmm corel photo paint ... with the gif file ... hmmm ... didnt think of that ... I have CorelPP (version 9 anyway).

I have Comcast ... gonna call em today as I think they do offer some free web space.

... I was gonna ask what ya ment by No Sprec (etc) ... but now I get it :) ... "numero".

Just for fun I added a little music to the animation (something I did in FL Studio) the animations kinda too short to hear much of the song :( ... also its pretty compressed. :unsure:

Dan

KeyTalk2.zip

Hmmm...correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe Exercise Number 6 on pg. 65 would be "The Door Is Stuck"...with Shaggy...

Dan, you wouldn't be trying to slip one past Sir Rodney...would you ;)....???

Hmmm...correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe Exercise Number 6 on pg. 65 would be "The Door Is Stuck"...with Shaggy...

Dan, you wouldn't be trying to slip one past Sir Rodney...would you ;)....???

nope nope :) ... not that competitive ... but about an hour ago I realized that I messed up on the numbers and skipped one ;) .

Ill go back ... Ill go back :)

Gonna have to get rid of that "Sir" thing underneath the avatar...

Not at all ;) BTW, did you get Exercise 12? I emailed it to you...for some reason it would not post, after 3 tries, I keep getting "fatal errors"...

• Admin

Yes Sir,

I recieved your email yesterday.

You said, in part, "... Here's 13...I owe 10, 11 & 15-19..."

Thanks! I've added it to your list! :)

Also,

I haven't recieved anymore requests for Excercise 1 certificates... so 'tis time to complete and send out Exercise 2, etc.

Hope things speed up from there... once the templates are made it shouldn't take long to personalize.

Dan,

Hope you got your Exercise 1! Please advise as there is no way to know unless I hear it from you.

Thanks!

Man ... u sure are blasting em out  :)  ... showoff!!  hehe. :)

Dan, not true...I just want to complete the manual & begin my own music animation...the sooner I complete ALL the exercises, the quicker I can begin the REAL fun...

The trick for me is to have the downloaded exercise video on one monitor & A:M opened on the other...& just follow along...lots of pausing...but it works...

Any hoo, I now have ONLY Exercise 10 & 11 to complete & I'm done w/ the AOA manual... :D

BTW, have you looked at Will Suttons Tech Manual? Got it...nice stuff, I also purchased "Model A Face with Bill Young"...really nice stuff & the Learning 3D Character Animation w/ Jeff Lew DVD...very long...but worth the $$$...

Just a few more reasons I want to finish the AOA manual... ;)

Man ... u sure are blasting em out  :)  ... showoff!!  hehe. :)

Dan, not true...I just want to complete the manual & begin my own music animation...the sooner I complete ALL the exercises, the quicker I can begin the REAL fun...

BTW, have you looked at Will Suttons Tech Manual? Got it...nice stuff, I also purchased "Model A Face with Bill Young"...really nice stuff & the Learning 3D Character Animation w/ Jeff Lew DVD...very long...but worth the $$$...

Just a few more reasons I want to finish the AOA manual... ;)

Was just teasin ya :)

Hmmm ... where do u get the tech manual? ... I searched google with no luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

--------- New Users Forum Proudly Announces -----------------

Congratulations to Gale (Chubbs) Wells

The first to 'officially' complete The Art of Animation:Master exercises.

He even did it with style!

See This Link for more information

This does not imply that he was the first to complete TAoAM. Only that he was the first brave soul to post his work in the New Users Forum as he completed them.

Bravo!

To all others that have completed individual exercises... keep up the good work!

Let me know what you've completed and I'll add you to the list for a certificate.

To instructors that have had students complete the exercises... I'll be glad to work with you to personalize any certificates for them as necessary. For instance... if you've removed some exercises from your course out of necessity... we can issue a variation certificate that you can edit as you see fit.

For now... individual certificates will still be emailed out for each exercise completed. Eventually, a single certificate *may* be presented upon completion. Only time and your response will tell.

Congrats again Gale!

No pressure.... but all eyes are now on you. :)

Note: Gale completed all the exercises some time ago. My apologies for the delay. I am working on *ALL* the certificates tonight. With a little luck they'll all be completed soon.

Congrats again Gale!

Thank you Rodney, you are way too kind...it was great fun all the way...now if one of the real Masters like Mr. Talbot would only do a a tutorial on Bump Maps, Displacement Maps & Control Point Weights...I could fine tune my music video :D

Or just maybe the Hash folks would add to their video library...like say, Bump Maps, Displacement Maps & Control Point Weights...ah...ah...maybe I could finish my music video... ;)

A:M is a total one man trip, extremely powerful, however, the included manual can only wet the beak...I'm already stuck on my first real project... :angry:

Peace

BTW, I'm still dissecting Mr. Sutton's manual...

Now this stuff is just plain wicked...

http://www.mossor.org/Desktop/Tutorials/garbagecan.htm

That's what I'm talking about...

• Admin

Sounds fun to me!

Might want to announce a date to allow a few days for anyone brave enough to accept the challenge to come forward though...

Do you get extra points for creativity... or is this game played straight with no gimicks? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Congrats TC!

If you want your certificate just drop me an email with preferred name and I get it out to you. I'm sending out certificates for 1 and 2 now.... 3 - 19 still getting the final polish.

• Admin

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm considering reenergizing our efforts in the New Users Forum (NUF) to "Get Back to the Basics." Namely, return to the reason the NUF was created in the first place.

I still have a few certificates to get out in the first wave but am confident that now is a good time to press on and master The Art of Animation:Master.

Way back in the early days of the New Users Forum... Ken Baer said:

Welcome to the New Users forum!

The idea behind this forum is to provide help and support for users who are new to Animation:Master and are going through the Art of Animation:Master tutorials. We encourage you to post your Works-In-Progress (WIP) from these tutorials to this forum. You will learn a lot from the feedback you get.

I haven't really been fulfilling the original mandate of the New Users Forum.

While the New Users Forum has been well used for other means besides just TAoAM, the primary mission of the NUF remains centered on The Art of Animation:Master.

For that reason, I solicit your input concerning the following propositions:

1) Begin with Exercise 1 and continue steadily until all exercises are complete.

2) Get as many people to follow along and post together as possible

3) Incorporate chat, email and forum based assistance where possible

4) Add new material and information to enhance TAoAM where appropriate*

5) Get certificates and have fun!

What says the A:M Community both old and new... Is it time to tackle The Art of Animation:Master?

*Older users of A:M, this is where you can really help! In exercises where it is appropriate to introduce more complicated aspects of A:M there is more than enough room for other tutorials and links.