Hash, Inc. Forums

Giant Octopus

Actually, Steve said they wanted the evil squid from 20,000 leagues under the sea. But they also said that it had to be original!?

But An octopus seems like a more useful sea monster for me to have in my library. that ability to change color and squirt a cloud of ink!!! So that's what I'm making :P

Beautiful sketchery Will. One of my first A:M models was for the Detroit Red Wings scoreboard where they wanted their mascot (Al the Octopus) animated doing zany scoreboard mascot kinds of things. What I learned: Octopi are HARD to animate.

Did I hear the Anzovins are making an Octopus rig?

Oh my god, that starting to look like a heavy model William... I don't envy you there (well, a little bit). Hope you gotta fast system.

It's looking good and it's gonna be interesting to watch you rig this monster let alone animate it... again, I don't envy you there but it certainly looks challenging ;)

I'm not happy with the webbing between the tentacles... on some species it doesn't seem so big, or maybe it is the unnatural position it is in, staked out like this...

The patches coming away from the suckers are hooked into reduce the density, but there are still about 30 segments to a tentacle... kinda heavy. I wasn't planning on rigging it, just making a challenge for those guys at Anzovin :lol:

This is great Will. Now all we need to do is constrain this beast to a human model's back (with or without the badly protected glass microchip) and we've got ourselves a Super Villain!

I can't wait to see how this fella is going to move. This is surely gonna be one of those "thank goodness for proxy models" situations.

excellent work! too good in fact.

now i'm considering adding your webbing to my squid lady. ' ' )

-jon

(how about a radial bone with two aim-at constraints for those webs to smooth 'em out?)

i think i like mike's suggestion over my own, but for some reason i just can't find cp weights anywhere! they have those in 8.5, right? ' ' )

(i'm not budging 'till ap v11 is gold!)

-jon

Great work William!... but you have a slight problem. The legs need to be rotated 22.5 degrees. Octopi are divided with 4 legs over each side of thier line of symmetry. It would be like having an arm coming out of your chest....which may not be all that bad! :lol:

Great work William!... but you have a slight problem. The legs need to be rotated 22.5 degrees. Octopi are divided with 4 legs over each side of thier line of symmetry. It would be like having an arm coming out of your chest....which may not be all that bad! :lol:

That should take 5 minutes to fix.... being the mesh is so clean.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

This is looking really good! It will be interesting to see this thing moves once it's rigged. Will you maybe add something extra to the webbing to get it to billow when he/she swims? (We need a new smiley with round eyes and a jaw drop! These eyes: :ph34r: ; and this mouth, only more exaggerated: :o .)

Bill Gaylord

Oooh… and how many patches in that? Don't envy you trying to rig and animate this baby mate :D But I do envy your modelig skills :P Nice peice of work William. Oh, and I REALLY don't envy you when it comes to texturing this mutant either ;)

• Admin

Will,

The only things I'm still not clear of is... where in Zandoria Comics continuity does TAR fight the giant octopus. Is it BEFORE or AFTER he fights the Balrog... :D

I missed the Balrog issue as I think my local dealer forgot to order!!! :lol: hmmmm.... :P

What issue should I look for them in? Hmmm? :D

In other words... Great work!

I wanna see more! :)

Rodney (The Comics Instigator)

Can we see a bottom view? Did you model the beak too?

The thought occurs to me that if you replaced the Balrog's head with this octopus (and moved the tentacles so that they all faced forward), you'd have the beginnings of a pretty good Cthulhu.