Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The clock begins

Parlo

For those of you who remember, I've been working on a personal project involving a clock - a clock which I'd ideally like to have fully animated inner workings. Following the honed wisdom of Vernon "I make paper clocks" Zehr I've bought a working cardboard kit clock and have begun constructing it with the intention of duplicating the mechanics in A:M. Now in the mean time, whilst waiting for glue to dry, I've build a very simple facade for the clock in A:M. This has also given me the opportunity to play with some of the new render features of 10.5 - namely mulitpass ray width shadows and multipass DOF. Here's a 32 pass test -

clocktest1.jpg

There are no materials yet and just one decal for the clock face. Everything else is just standard surface settings, and a small amount of noise added in photoshop.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice clock face... I think you might be slightly nuts to build an accurate clock works but that's me :) Can't see much in the way of soft shadows but the DOF is nice (still see a little banding in it on the front bit, but animated you'll not likely see that.

good to see you still have time for personal projects.

-David Rogers

Thanks guys. The innards of the clock are coming along nicely, as is the clock itself. I'm trying for a more cartoony style than I'm used to doing and am enjoying wittling down the details. I should have some more pics to post by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming along pretty well thanks for asking.

The innards are getting there - modeling the cogs is proving to be a bit of a chore but well worth it. The outside of the clock is finished, for the time being anyway, and I'm now enjoying animating the 'main character'. I want to keep him under wraps for the time being (excuse the pun) because alot of the fun of the piece will be based around him and I don't want to ruin that for anyone! I'm working towards producing a short 50 sec "proof of concept" piece to show by the middle of november. The final work will be around the 5 minute mark (the proof of concept being the first 50 seconds of it).

I've finally given it a name too - the piece of work that has thus far been known merely as "that clock thing" shall now be called "12". It'll all make sense in the end.

Oh, and anyone who has been around long enough to remember "Dark Dark", we finally have a completion date in our sights of august next year - the plan is to screen it at a horror film festival here in London. The project is still being worked at on an almost daily basis and since it was first started in the autumn of 2000, it's premiere will put it at almost 4 years in the making. Those who have seen the current "work-print" are as excited as I am tired and the score is likely to blow people away. "12" has occured as an a sort of antidote to "Dark Dark", as such a long term project can feel too much like the day-to-day grind of commercial work for it to inspire late nights. More info will emerge nearer the time.

Anyhow, this won't get the work done. Thanks again for the interest.

I'm hand modeling - well lathing and extruding mainly. Bit fiddly but gives me the control that I'm after.

As for "Dark Dark" these are some of the more recent stills that can be found on our website. Many of you will be very familiar with them but again, I like to hold as much back as possible - life's bad enough with tell-it-all trailers for 'real movies'...

anim2.jpg

anim1.jpg

anim5.jpg

gudi3d - thanks, that's the kind of compliment that helps you through the hard stuff!

zack - 'we', in terms of "Dark Dark", are myself, my composer and a handful of associates who are working on it in a part-producing-part-developing capacity. As far as modelling, rigging and animating I'm the only person on the project.

The greater 'we' are Naughty Pictures, which is the company with which I do all my other work. The only permanent member of staff here is me... everyone else comes and goes on a freelance basis when projects need them. Naughty Pictures does a wide range of things from corporate work to theatre, from tv stuff to print design. My background is as a theatre director, which used to be my day job but has somewhat taken a backseat in recent years. The two biggest projects at the moment are a new tv series and a live-action short. It's all go I can tell you.

Thanks for all the encouragement and such. I'm currently having fun(!?) rigging a spring - a spring model not a cloth system spring. In the meantime I've been doing more actual animation than I've done in a long time. I'm very very thankful for the discovery of coffee. Expect some more "12" images v. soon.