Hash, Inc. Forums

Kapsules

JohnArtbox

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I didn't even see this one. Nice modelling and animation. I like the style- really different. And the preview/trailer deal was entertaining. :lol:

I am interested to see how you rounded the tops of these guys' heads off. Did you kind of cheat? do they have tiny holes up there that you aren't letting us see? <_<

-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

still chugging along...here's the final character for Investigating Jack, the wizard.

Thanks all for the comments. It's encouraging.

Little Andy: Generally I cap the cylinder using a grid, it means accepting 4 triangular patches but otherwise works well. with the kapsules there are a lot of small openings(at the ends of the hair, for example)

Wizard_Knight.jpg

John.. I got to tell you...

you rock! Thats some of the coolest stuff I've seen in a looooong time. I can't wait for the theatrical release... the dvd.. well I can't wait.... Ohhhh the game.. yeah the game..

after that ... I'm speechless. Chalk it up to another idea I'd wished I'd thought of.

C

Hi John!

I went through this thread with a lot of fun. Every aspect of your work is delightful. Very funny characters, beautifully simple environement, lighted perfectly,and the litttle guy did not like your script but i do.

I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for all the comments

Quick update. Investigating Jack has built up quite a team. I'm calling it the Kapsule Kollective

Dagooos, Dennis Borruso, and Pengy are doing modelling and animating. Pengy's doing the voice acting and JessMusic is writing the score. I'm a very happy man.

Here's the first pass at the voices, there's some inconsistencies and some inflections that need to be changed, and Feei Fi(the giant's daughter)is purely a stand in, but I thought some of you might like a listen.

jackvoices15122004.zip

• 2 weeks later...

It's my new desktop. Christmas and work has caused a slight hiatus, but I did this to clear the flash cobwebs from my brain. The original only took 30 minutes, fine tuning the pose, energy blast and lighting(including skycast and a couple of lensflares) took another couple of hours. Getting trailing motion blur was also interesting B)

Merry Christmas all :D

More stuff soon..but now I've got to get back to a medical presentation <_>zap2.jpg

John !!!

As usual... the still is amazing !!!!

the kapsules´scenes are a lightning lesson

Is this image contest one ???

Happy New Year ...

and ...

Peace

Xtaz

Hi all

Rodney:You're welcome :D

William: I'm not starting anything new until Investigating Jack is finished,it's a one off for the moment

Phil:Ta..but what song?

Dent: wireframe as requested , the detail is the arm from jack, it's essentially the same, but easier to understand.

Xtaz: given the quality of the stuff you've been churning out, I'll take that as a compliment.

But I'm predicting a high quality contest this month, lots of heroes doing the rounds at the moment :D

Zapwireframe.jpg

John !!

I was seeing in wire, did you use 2 models to fake motion blur ? if not .. what is the black model doing there ?

I'm predicting a high quality contest this month, lots of heroes doing the rounds at the moment

me too ... Pzu is there :)

Peace

Xtaz

• 1 month later...
B) I must say, I find your work inspiring. Your characters are simple yet solid (easily recognisable yet unique in style), you seem to add just the right ammount of "spice" to each Capsule to give it its own character - yet still they remain a Capsule....can't wait to get home and work on my own project.

• 1 month later...

Now the contest is over I can add this to the thread, it's a preliminary set from the short. As Jim Talbot said over on CGTalk, I need to refocus on lighting around the characters and punch them out a bit.

I can't believe I'm taking this long B)

Cloudcastle.jpg

I can't believe you're taking so long either- I wanna see MORE!

I really like the attention to coloring in the last shot. And the soft feel to it- the lightness to it is also good.

I'm curious how you maintained the characters in what looks like relatively sharp focus on the same plane as a fuzzier/out of focus(?) plane. It makes them stand out well even without being "punched" out by light- maybe it's just an illusion?

I can't believe you're taking so long either- I wanna see MORE!

Take all the time you need! This type of project cannot be rushed.

I love the style and feel of your project! Your work is truly inspiring. Keep up the excellent work!

Uh... my WHIP says: "It can be RUSHED!"

Now stop reading all our accoladilicious posts and return to work, John! :ph34r: Nevermind the treadmill, nevermind my hand on the speed dial, nevermind nevermind!

Thanks all

Dearmad: I use multipass and a shaking action to vibrate the cloud model. It's my method of getting that fluffy feeling for clouds.

Nancy: I agree... the stars are a couple of star domes(all modelled) I created for an old commercial..and if i'd had time I would have done this. it's just that I did the image in about 4 hours...I'll fix it now

Thanks all

Dearmad: I use multipass and a shaking action to vibrate the cloud model. It's my method of getting that fluffy feeling for clouds.

Nancy: I agree... the stars are a couple of star domes(all modelled) I created for an old commercial..and if i'd had time I would have done this. it's just that I did the image in about 4 hours...I'll fix it now

Thank you so much for sharing that technique. That is truly imaginative. It makes for a very nice look.