Hash, Inc. Forums

Kapsules

JohnArtbox

I use multipass and a shaking action to vibrate the cloud model. It's my method of getting that fluffy feeling for clouds.

I love the clouds. You got me thinking. I guess , I could also use a displacement map that changes depth/ or is animated over the multipass subframe time it would have the same effect-- except being much harder to make. I think for the amount of work, your solution is FANTASTIC! But for the style that I want, you helped me solve my "cloud" problem. THANX!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New image.

Lots of small changes. Fixed some problem shadow areas on the original and moved some of the stars around. Also add a soft light on the characters, darkened the colour grad on the skydome, and rotated the grad so it wasn't absolutely horizontal.

Oh and I faked some volumetric light with a few transparent cylinders with edge gradients

And the good news is that the files will be on the new cd.

cloudscapemodA175.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just went trough the whoooole thread and I am speechless... All I can say is: amazing work!! Simply amazing!!

Here's a hint "FeeFiFoFum".

You posted this hint some time ago, but I could find any replies to the hint, so I'm guessing the three billy goats (or whatever the story is called in english, original name was "de tre bukkene burse"). The troll in the story keeps saying "Fee fi fo fum" each time one of the billy goats crosses the bridge he lives under...

You posted this hint some time ago, but I could find any replies to the hint, so I'm guessing the three billy goats (or whatever the story is called in english, original name was "de tre bukkene burse"). The troll in the story keeps saying "Fee fi fo fum" each time one of the billy goats crosses the bridge he lives under...

I would think more "Jack and the Beanstalk".

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Jack and the Beanstalk.

The project's been on hold while I did a major contract with one of the national tv stations, but i finished that last week and I'm hoping to do some major work on "Investigating Jack" this month.

Interesting that Fee Fi FoFum is used in three billy goats gruff as well as Jack and the Beanstalk.

Anyway here's a small update....it's a low res ground plane with a fur system of rocks and trees. Unfortunately there's a bug in the render, but Noel from Hash is on the trail, and I'm confident it'll be fixed soon. The still is pretty average, but if you look at the movie file, I think it looks pretty good, especially for something that's basically a plane with a material applied.

12EPT0.jpg

That looks very good, John! :)

So are you saying that the trees are painted and used as hair images with 'Face Camera' set to 100% for the hairs? If that is so I am very surprised because you seem to have managed to get fog to work with hair. Or did you use some other technique to produce that fogging? What version of A:M are you using?

• 4 weeks later...
I use multipass and a shaking action to vibrate the cloud model. It's my method of getting that fluffy feeling for clouds.

Great work, love the look. :D

Really looking forward to seeing your completed short. :)

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. Kows for backgrounds. I'll probably paint some simple patterns for the cows rather than using a material.

Lots of small things are getting done, admittedly very slowly as I try to fit it in with full time work.

cow0.jpg

I just got back from spending a couple of weeks campervanning around New Zealand. I don't know if there's room in the short for these little guys, but they only took a couple of hours to create,and were lots of fun.

Zaryin:Thanks

Kenh: all cows should look worried...Kows are just slightly more perceptive.

ZachBG: Skycast, a key light and ambient edge gradient materials.

The fact is true too.

Apparently orthonoligists (is that the word for bird guys and gals?) measure the beak from end to nostril...and kiwis have nostrils on the end of their beaks. Very strange birds in a lot of different ways. Who says the internet rots your brain :D

Kiwi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Discofish asked me some questions about facial animation, and since I was in the middle of setting up my Knight I thought I'd post the base expressions I use. I use a very simple musclepose setup with a basic setup of three pose sliders for each major body part, and then drive them by smartskin. Eg for the mouth I have:

Open

Narrow

Happy

The Eyes have

Right Eye Open

Left Eye Open

Happy

and the brows have Up

with tilt variation for HappyKnightExpressions.jpg

John, I seem to remember that in one of your previous posts there was screen capture of one of your characters that had some sort of on-screen facial controls...

Could you (PLEASE) explain it in more detail, and/or (both preferably) giveaway some example model (you did give away your knight, mind you, only without facial controls...)

AAAAND, I said it few posts earlier, I am very glad to see your capsules alive and kicking

Drvarceto

• 4 weeks later...

Drvarceto: When I get time I'll put something together...but it won't be for a while sorry.

Here's a test I did on an artistic media render. I don't know if I'll head down this path, but the knight made a convenient test subject.

Edit: I forget to turn off the stick to surface option in the initial render. The second render is more representative of the final effect

KnightRender.jpg

KnightRenderA.jpg

• 1 year later...

BGTest.JPG

Just thought I should post something... This is a small background test to see how some of the elements mix together, and to introduce ambient occlusion into the mix. Because the end use is for animation, I've included a small test animation.

test.mpg

To all those who've enquired, it's still happening...enjoy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Admin

Okay... I know this is a very old topic of John's but I waited a few weeks to see if anyone would make note of the resembleness of the Minion's from the recently released movie "Despicable Me".

Well... there IS a resemblance.

But what are the chances people would recognize the Kapsules as being first on the scene?

Fun movie. (John you should cash in on this) ;)

Apologies for the quick photoshoppin'... and I didn't grab a minion with much of a likeness... but those that have seen the movie know what I'm talking about. Forgive.

kapsuleminions.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
it's been a long time but I'm rerendering things in hd for a new showreel, including the old "Investigating Jack" trailer.

The animation is still rendering away but here's a still.

jacklg0642.jpg

Loved him and love him :D.

Very well done :).

See you

*Fuchur*

• 2 weeks later...