Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Technical Directors Training

• Admin

Note: Users of A:M 2006 (Yeti CD) please read information at this link for more on troubleshooting a problem with the Knight's knees. Read about it HERE . You'll want to use a working model for Exercise 15: Eat My Dust.

The Art of Animation:Master (Online)

Please add your exercises to this topic and others will join in.

The Art of Animation:Master is being completed on a continual basis in the New Users Forum. Meeting deadlines can be an important skill to master early on but this course is self paced to allow each person the flexibility they need to learn the basics of Animation:Master. The course can be completed in as little time as necessary or as much as is needed by each participant.

Note: You may want to download the videos first.

All available Video Tutorials related to TAOA:M can be found on one page:

The Art of Animation Master Video Tutorials

The Art of Animation Master Part III: Technical Directors Training

TECHNICAL DIRECTORS TRAINING

14 - Playing Marble (Materials)

15 - Eat My Dust (Volumetrics)

16 - Smoke, Wind, and Fire (Particles)

17 - Cosmic Bowling (Dynamics)

18 - Waving the Flag (Cloth)

19 - Flying South (Flocks)

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
Am I placing my exersizes in the correct place or should I place them in the directory where you download the tutorial videos? It look like that is where everyone else is doing it. I understud it to be this directory, or folder as MAC users would say.

Dick,

Its fine to place them here.

You may not get as much commentary from others who are posting in the separate areas.

I'd move them to the individual exercise areas myself but haven't had the time I wish I had to devote to it.

The important thing is that you are posting your exercises.

Where you post will always be secondary to that.

So... keep on doing what you are doing! :)

Name: Dick Johnson

Exercise Completed: Exercise 20

Date Completed: 13 Dec 2006

Instructor: None

This has two issues. I wasn't able to color the hair on the back of the head. All the number setting if the file are as stated in the manual on page 207, but this does not resemble the picture as it is supposed to be. :huh:

[attachmentid=23122]

post-2943-1166065938_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is Exercise's 14 and 16.

Done:1-4-2007 and 5-14-06 in that order

No Inst.

I am, however having trouble with the Flying South exercise (19) because the Flocking function is creating invisible birds. They don't show up.

This is weard because only last week, I did the exercise (didn't save it because I wanted to do it a little differently) and it worked fine.

post-5479-1168120807_thumb.jpg

Exercise_16.mov

I'll try flocking again before I bother you anymore Rodney.

• 2 weeks later...
The odd part is, I haven't been able to get the birds to be visible in the flock since then. I'll try again a little later.

I'm working on flocking, too, Phil and happened to me. A lot. By about the fourth time I remembered what to do - you need to turn particles on in the renderer. If you have rendered with particles off, then flocking remembers that. So just go to Tools Menu > Options > Rendering and turn particles back on.

That was great flocking by the way, really smooth.

• Admin

The Particles thing is a recurring omission. Its so easy to forget that Flocks (and Dust!) are particles.

The benefit is that if you remember this lesson for when new users encounter the problem you can jump in and say, "Turn on Particles!", and you'll look really smart! :D

Good job Phil,

My wife wouldn't care much for this exercise... as those birds fly to close.

She has a very strange dislike of birds. Childhood trauma or something...

Thanks a lot guys. I'll turn on the particles in render, and go back and play with flocks some more. :)

I've been talking a lot about A:M on the sets I work on, as most people in Hollywood who work in the business have more than one pot to stir, and I know that a few of them have checked out the program. It helps that I can show them animations that I have done, and I always point out that a visit to the galleries is fun, seeing stills and animations.

I have uploaded all the exorcises that I have completed and could find. I know I did the airplane (rather well I thought), but can't find it, so I'll have to redo it for my cert. The one that stopped me was the blasted giraffe. Didn't finish that one, and can't find the one that I was working on when I quit. I guess I'll have to do that one too. <_<

Thanks again for comments and tip.

Phil...