Hash, Inc. Forums

Belly Bot: New Face

Hey there, good forum. While I still have a week or two of unemployment (and only that -- knock on wood) I've been burning my free-time on 3D, the way free time should be spent.

Here's my newest character, the Belly Bot, with a completely redone face. I had to eliminate the pac-man mouth, sadly. I was very fond of it, but it wasn't capable of the expressions I wanted out of this guy. I mean, he's a face on legs -- his facial expressions matter.

I was going for something noir-ish here, and I think it works well. Please give feedback.

Belly, New Face

New Face WF

B)

--Ross

• Admin

I like!

You are doing something interesting with the splines around the eyes... but it doesn't seem to be a problem... in fact that seems to add to the expression in animation a bit.

We want more! (Don't they all)

Thanks, chaps.

Zack, I decided to keep a shade of blue for the color scheme. In the end I want a number of these characters, each with their own outfit/hair/hats/colors. But it was good to experiment with it. :) And ja, I need to do something with his surface.

I tried to make each eye with four regions - brow, cheek, upper lid, lower lid. Each spline in each region is controlled by an individual up/down slider taken from a master squash pose. Apart from some odd creases, it seems to work.

In the very beginning I lathed him, Modernhorse. Then I did the "draw an outline and extrude" trick for the eyes and made the mouth spline to spline. I'm really learning a lot about modeling in the process, so his mesh is (to me) a mess.