Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Will,

Very nice! The world awaits your UV Editor revelations.

Can't wait!!!

I am curious about how the legs will turn out with the decal image you show above.

Or perhaps you have another decal where you pick up the back (inner side) of the legs.

Inquiring minds want to see your Balrog too!

New Tutorial!!

OK, I updated my UV Tutorial to explain the new UV Editor in V11. I used the Balrog as my example, so I hope that as you read it, you will see the answer to your questions.

http://www.zandoria.com/uv.htm

I modeled the Balrog last year, and I'm just now getting back to it with some free time :)

balrog-head.jpg

• Admin

Will,

Very nice.... and very quick!

Hope you screen cap all the time as you work as that could really pay off..... for us! ;)

Haven't had time to line by line your tutorial but what I see of it is outstanding!

Bravo!

I hope that'll get a lot more people using the UV Editor... as I'm sure it will.

Good Stuff!

• Admin

Whoaaa... That is.... wow! :o

Sorry I missed you in the chatroom... I arrived home from work about a minute after you left.

Probably a good thing the movie producers didn't see that or they would have said you would have to put it in the Castaways movie as an homage/parody piece!!!

Keep posting PLEASE!!!

William, lovely peice of work mate. This is really showing what can be done with AM.

Although I haven't tried the new UV editor, or even AM 11 for that matter (been busy), it's something I have dreamed of seeing in AM for a while and now it has finally arrived it will make life so much easier.

Looking forward to your finished textured model keep it up your are an inspiration!

Truly inspiring work, William. Can hardly wait to see it in action! Swinosaurus vs. the Balrog...or maybe feature it in one of the "Marshmallow" shorts we talked of long ago.

Which Wacom tablet do you use. I'm thinking of upgrading to an Intuos2 tablet and adding an "airbush" stylus to my toolkit. I've been using an ArtZII 12"x12" tablet with my workstation and a small Graphire 2 with my laptop (which I love for modeling work in AM).

Thanks for sharing so much with the AM community!

Bill Gaylord

William, that looks just like my missus when I don't take my shoes off when I walk in the house :blink:

Excellent stuff! I don't suppose you would like to send me an 1152 x 864 render of this picture so I could use it as my desktop? It would be quite inspiring...

Pretty please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

William will ya stop making such good peices of work! You're making me feel inadequate ;)

Mind you there is one conselation… it looks a bit like me on a GOOD day!

ANIMATE HIM! ANIMATE HIM! ANIMATE HIM!

William, I know this question gets asked every so often and indeed does vary greatly on the skills and speed of the artist, however...

...how much time do YOU spend on modeling a character this detailed. Predrawings, Modeling, Texturing, Boning/Rigging, Testing etc. (If you have a rough idea, a break down like that would be interesting.)

Also, if you have the time, what are your tools of choice for everything from A:M plugins through to texturing, tools etc. (If this becomes too popular a topic I'll take it to a new thread, but I wanted to ask it here first.)

I had some of this information up on my WIP page, back when I started this thing, but I deleted it last time I updated my website...

I modeled it in a couple of days, the head taking the majority of the time.

Before modeling I watched the behind the scenes a few times, and I also did a number of pencil studies of from photos of Weta's maquette. I probably have a whole day of sketching and researching (which would be typical).

I did all of my UV mapping (and wrote the tutorial webpage)in a day. And I spent another day (if I remember correctly) painting the textures. I uploaded them as I worked on them.

I spent a few hours working on the sprites for the first image that I posted. But after rendering an animation, I realized that they needed a lot of work to look realistic. So I totally redid my fire and smoke for this last example, tweaking it over and over, rendering a shaded mode version as a .mov to get a look at the motion of the particles, then reworking the settings. I spent all day before I got what I wanted....

The rigging took a while, even though I used the TSM. And the wings I had to do from scratch...Probably a good part of a day. I did the wings the same day I tweaked my fire settings, somy timeline is a little screwed up... (sorry I didn't take notes)

I didn't work on this model full-time, since I had other projects plus a full-time job. but it would be about a week long project done all at once, I guess. So that would make it a $3,000 model, if it were a contract job (just in case someone wants a custom model of similar complexity).

The good news is that I've told Martin that he can distribute this model on the next Hash CD--so everyone will get a chance to play with it B)