Kitchen

xor

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work so far. You've certainly done a lot. I like the lumpy, curvy surface of your mayonnaise -- here's a link to a fridge interior I made for a friend. Notice that I didn't get too ambitious with my mayo ... also, I never quite figured out what to do with the glass, but I knew he'd know what he wanted done with the glass anyway. I only regret that I still don't know what to do to get these jars and bottles looking more like realistic glass.

My fridge's interior, modeled from life [it was pretty darn cold, hunched in there by the eggs and the baking soda].

Once I get far enough to set up the materials and lighting for that shot I'll be sure to post it for you james :)

95% of glass is in the environment. you pretty much have to have it all in place with a color for the camera background that won't jump out since any areas that refract might show camera color. the other 5% is all lighting. as far as materials go I like a combiner which varies the refraction on a noise pattern that makes the glass look cheaper (like the jars in my fridge) only very good glass has the same transparency and refractive properties all through its surface.

-David Rogers

Once I get far enough to set up the materials and lighting for that shot I'll be sure to post it for you james :)

95% of glass is in the environment. you pretty much have to have it all in place with a color for the camera background that won't jump out since any areas that refract might show camera color. the other 5% is all lighting. as far as materials go I like a combiner which varies the refraction on a noise pattern that makes the glass look cheaper (like the jars in my fridge) only very good glass has the same transparency and refractive properties all through its surface.

-David Rogers

Very good points--you're very OBservant [ouch! stop throwing things at the screen!]. Thanks, Ob!

Lance - My only suggestion would be to add more beveling, especially to the work surface and the cupboards above. This'll help give the scene more depth. Strong work so far though.

Good points. I'll definitely keep that into consideration.

The intended animation will be quite cartoonish, I'm not sure yet if I want to toon render it or not. I guess I'll have to play with that when the time comes.

Lance

also, I never quite figured out what to do with the glass, but I knew he'd know what he wanted done with the glass anyway. I only regret that I still don't know what to do to get these jars and bottles looking more like realistic glass.

My fridge's interior, modeled from life.

Yeah it looks too perfect don't it? I may have to spend a day just trying to get those glass jars to look normal.

BTW, I love your refrigerator picture. Nice objects and placements. I may have to eyeball that again to get some more prop ideas. I don't want my counters to be bare at all. It needs to be cluttered.

Lance

They wireframe along with the shaded gives a pretty good look of the work you've put into this. You said Cartoony feel for the animation ?

does that mean you are going to give the kitchen a cartoon look or more a real kitchen with cartoon characters ?

Looks darn good either way .

Mike

does that mean you are going to give the kitchen a cartoon look or more a real kitchen with cartoon characters ?

I'm thinking of tooning the whole thing. I may have to play around a bit. Maybe post a few versions and see what everyone else thinks.

Lance

also, I never quite figured out what to do with the glass, but I knew he'd know what he wanted done with the glass anyway. I only regret that I still don't know what to do to get these jars and bottles looking more like realistic glass.

My fridge's interior, modeled from life.

Yeah it looks too perfect don't it? I may have to spend a day just trying to get those glass jars to look normal.

BTW, I love your refrigerator picture. Nice objects and placements. I may have to eyeball that again to get some more prop ideas. I don't want my counters to be bare at all. It needs to be cluttered.

Lance

Thanks. I took a lot of inspiration from my own fridge. I found a really hard part was carefully placing objects so that they looked like they were resting on top of a surface -- say, the wire rack or the shelves in the fridge door.

The french fries were particularly tough to decide upon -- how to get them to look like they just 'fell' there, even though you know it took me at least an hour of nudging them here, nudging them there, and trying to decide if it looked 'natural' enough.

Oh, and I also modeled more than I needed, because I was making this as a set for someone else's animation -- and I couldn't be sure that he wouldn't change his plans and show it from a different angle, etc. So I put labels on everything, and all the items in the fridge except the coffee can [top shelf] can be viewed from different angles, not just the angles shown in this pic.

I didn't model the outside of the fridge or its door, though.

Oh, and I also modeled more than I needed, because I was making this as a set for someone else's animation -- and I couldn't be sure that he wouldn't change his plans and show it from a different angle, etc. So I put labels on everything, and all the items in the fridge except the coffee can [top shelf] can be viewed from different angles, not just the angles shown in this pic.

I didn't model the outside of the fridge or its door, though.

Isn't that so nice about 3D programs, is that you can take shortcuts and not model the other half of an object. Although, the more detailed the animation, the more that has to be done.

I was looking forward to not having to model the other half of my kitchen, but then I remembered I have a few reflective items, such as a toaster, that will reflect behind the camera. I think it would probably look funny if it reflected black space, rather than a real kitchen.

BTW, I did notice the perfect placement of your fries. I was unsure though as to how much effort that took to get them like that. I had no idea. Good job.

I was looking forward to not having to model the other half of my kitchen, but then I remembered I have a few reflective items, such as a toaster, that will reflect behind the camera. I think it would probably look funny if it reflected black space, rather than a real kitchen.

I would use an environment map instead of ray-tracing it. a blurred render of the kitchen from the current angle would likely do it. if you need more accurate reflections than that, a simple plane can be mapped behind the camera to reflect what isn't there. always look for the cheat before doing all the work! :)

-David Rogers

I would use an environment map instead of ray-tracing it.  a blurred render of the kitchen from the current angle would likely do it. if you need more accurate reflections than that, a simple plane can be mapped behind the camera to reflect what isn't there.  always look for the cheat before doing all the work! :)

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks. And if it'll save render time, I'm all for that as well.

Hmm... where is the cereal and milk?

Oh never mind...that's my project.

How did you determine the measurements? Like the proper hieght of a counter top and such. Did you just wing it?

I have to build a kitchen my self. I keep putting it off. It would be easier to build a real kitchen. In a real kitchen everything already has "bevels".

I have a fridge and a sink so far...oh and some counters.

Vernon "Cereal Killer" Zehr

Hmm... where is the cereal and milk?

Oh never mind...that's my project.

How did you determine the measurements? Like the proper hieght of a counter top and such. Did you just wing it?

The cereal and milk are coming. It's slow going right now. Getting maybe 3 to 5 models done a week. I plan on having that counter pretty cluttered.

I did just wing the measurements. Most everything is just estimated right now. Actually a few things I did measure. Everything else is just eyeballed.

BTW, I did enjoy your pouring of cereal into a bowl with sprites a while back. I was trying to get macaroni into a bowl. It would work good at first, then I would add more noodles and everything just fell through the bowl. I gave up for the time.

Okay, I've added some items to my kitchen. This is just a test to see how some of the items look with real surroundings.

It's hard to judge reflectivity & transparency in the modeling screen when you have a plain background and nothing to reflect off of.

So here it is.

post-7-1065936216.jpg