Hash, Inc. Forums

Make a Monster Challenge

I build simple models. I build a lot of them. and then I modify them to make more models :D

I use basic construction methods most of which are based on 4 and eight point extrusions. So tonight I sat down to build a monster. Nothing hyperreal, just a fun little dinosaur. The bodyhas eight points in cross-section and the limbs are fourpoint extrusions. About halfway through the dinosaur I though"what if I built a whole lot of components...diffferent body types, legs, wings, different heads..so that you could easily stitch your own monster together .

A few components later I had the griffin. So here's the challenge..... build a component body and heads to join using an eight point spline. Arms, legs, wings etcto join using a 4 point spline. Post your body parts here with an image and i'll post some of my components.

Hopefully we'll get a library happening. I'll even offer a free copy of Skycast for the best component or monster created(if they're a Mac person, they'll just get a stack of Artbox models/textures).

monsterconnect.jpg

• Admin

John,

Looks like fun! I look forward to seeing at least one complete animal (parted out of course) uploaded as I think that will help everyone understand the dimension requirements a bit easier.

One more step closer to the "Make Dragon" button! Oh Yeah!

My mind is racing for a basic monster/animal to put together... hasn't settled on anything quite yet.

John,

Couple points that would help if you could clarify:

1)any chance you can post a model with just the basic connector rings in place?

that way everyone's parts start at the proper location and shape?

2)And what's the spline count for the neck ring, i want to do a head or two to get my modeling skills back into practice.

3)version of am? Im currently using 10.5r is that going to be a problem?

4) bones?

-Simon

Ok Here's the full griffin figure built in parts

http://www.artboxanimation.com/AmStuff/Griffinparts.zip

If parts are built to approximately this scale that'll make it easier.

I haven't added bones because there are so many different systems.

Drakkheim:I used 8 points on the neck ring. Parts with 8 and 4 point link rings would be ideal, but you could always hook in if the parts need more.

OK guys get making :D:D

(Edit) any version of AM should be ok because we're talking modelling only.

GriffinConnect.JPG

I like this idea. Sorta like a DIY PlayDoh or Lego Monster Factory.

Now all I have to do is come up with something monsterous to attach. Teeth! Monsters need heads with lots of teeth.

What about the model scale and including bones or feature controls for facial expressions?

well im building my parts to fit onto johns griffin parts model. Im not planning on boning the model parts ill leave that to whomever decidest to use them :) since the structure may vary depending on the parts used in the final critters.

This is cool! A "Build-a-Monster" kit!

Here's a monster that is about as simple as they get: a tube! Give it some teeth an a victim and you have yourself a monster movie (albeit a short one). I can share a project of the model and rig.

Tube of Death

I want to redo this one from the pilot's viewpoint later.

Bill Gaylord

Here is a zipped copy of the "Tube Monster" project so you can see how the model works. It's not very sophisticated and its range of motion is very limited in terms of bending (it can't curl around something like a tentacle), but even its limited motion can be used effectively in the right context.

TubeMonster project file

Still not as cool as the other monsters posted in this thread though. Nice work folks!

How about some Frankenstein's monster like parts?

Bill Gaylord

For a while there I thought this was going to fall flat B)

But it looks like in might fly....so here's a dragon wing. I haven't had a chance to download Xade's excellent offering but variety is always good. I'm on a severe deadline for the next couple of weeks but lets keep it moving. materials and patch decals of things like scales or zebra markings migh also be cool.

Amar: I like keeping things simple because they're easy to alter, but it's a personal preference...and in this case the project belongs to anyone who chooses to contribute. :D If the join rings are the same it becomes easier to use but people could always use hooks if they wish.

Thanks to all the contributors so far...

dragonwing.zip