Hash, Inc. Forums

Town Project

Most impressive. Sort of a stylistic cross between Metropolis and what I've seen so far of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

This God's eye view tends to make it look a bit like a model. Could we see point of view from someone standing at the base of the clock tower?

How many individual models did you build? I'm curious to see a wireframe of the structure to the right of the clock tower.

That is simply magnificent work!

I would love to also see some views from within this scene.

Honestly when I first saw this my eyes sort of bugged out. Great work.

Oh and btw - change you're description, you ain't no newbie. :P

Crikey! It looks just like Sutton where I work... :D Mind you I would like one of those flying machines it would make traveling there much quicker LOL.

Apart from that it's a lovely peice of work. You must have patience of a saint. Are you gonna animate it?

fantaboooooolooooouuuuuussssssssss

Many how many patches you got there??

it's got to be 70,000 - 300, 000 ..whatever it is I did know you can put that many objects in a scene.

Did you layer these items or do separate renders ....what was your approach for this typre of render.

Woweeee! :o:blink: !!! That must be a load of patches total, but looks fantastic!

Let us know the patch count. My humble brownstone appartments are about 38,000 patches each (could likely be trimmed quite a bit as I put a lot of detail into things like the railings). But a whole city block! Wow! Love the "Metropolis" feel to it.

Bill Gaylord

Thank you all for your comments. It would be nice to make an animation of the city, a fly through, but i have no time in the moment. There are 20 Pictures planed for an exhibition and theres a lot to do. The exhibition starts at June 22, end first of August in Berlin.

If you like, you can see a WIP of the next shot in the WIP Forum. "A question of fog"

Greetings

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

thanks for your mails. I´m sorry not to have the time to reply all your questions. I will wirte a "experience tutorial" after i finished the work. Meanwhile, a new picture of the town project.

Greetings

Frank

post-8-1085588148.jpg

This is very very very nice!

I like the zepplin/biplanes a LOT.

One quick comment/suggestion, in the first image the dotted line down the middle of the road seems out of scale with the rest of the image, but that could just be me :)

can't wait to see more. :D

-simon

Hi all,

here´s another one. It is a shame to convered it to black and white, but i will have to. Here it is in color.

Btw: i was using darktree as material and enviorment map.

post-8-1086031336.jpg

They are cool...cool enough for a desktop....now that's an idea! Competition winners should have the honour of becoming the "Animation Master wallpaper champions" whereby all the losers have to put the winning image on their desktop. :D Oh and it could be put on the Hash site with big writing "Created by Animation Master" on it.

• Admin

Your work reminds me a lot of some really classic art.

I've had a scene (background) from "Metropolis" as my desktop image for a few months... the longest I've ever kept the same image.

I may have to update that one to include your imagery.

When I was but a lad I dreamed of being able to make such cities... now that A:M has made it possible... I've lost some of that youthful energy and am not as inclined to dream in those same ways.

Your world certainly satisfies that youthful need!

Well done!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your project.

• Admin

FranksTown.jpg

What! A:M Digest is bested by 3D World! First to the printer! Getting the scoop!

Who would have thought it possible...

Congrats Frank! I can't help but think it's not the last we've seen of your town. :)

Hi all, hi Rodney,

wow, your "A:M Digest " Cover is good work, but -sorry to ask- what is "A:M Digest". Is it a print magazine or an online magazine?

I´m just busy building up an internet site for my town project. Called the "Laragach Project". It will include a wallpaper section, and a historical background. Meanwhile i like to send you another picture.

Greetings

Frank

post-8-1088251647.jpg

• Admin

Frank,

A:M Digest will be online but made available for print via a .pdf file.

Rather than post a lot of information about A:M Digest here... I'll just point you to the

A:M Digest discussion.

We exchanged an email or two on the subject a month or so ago. I know you've been busy! ;)

I"m glad to hear of your plans for a website. That is great news!

Really looking forward to seeing more of your town.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

At the risk of doing a "me too" posting, I just have to say that your work posted here is fantastic! I love the atmosphere that you have achieved...that kind of "futuristic retro" that I always imagine Jules Verne would have created if A:M were around 150 years ago...

I look forward to seeing more samples from this city. Got a short film idea in there?