Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

video driver update bug?

Something new is happening when I try to Zoom-RMB around an area. As shown in the screen capture, each time I hit Z and then depress the RMB the screen reverts to the previous view but does result in zooming to the selected area. My current work around is to hold down the space bar (Refresh) before RMB. This issue seems to have started after AMD upgraded my drivers for the Radeon RXT 6700 XT. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I presume that is indeed some video card malperformance. Can you revert to a previous driver?

My video is just the "integrated" video of the CPU and it generally works well but I have a situation where if I make a bounding box selection, no CPS will appear selected until i hit SPACE to refresh. Also, sometimes the view will get temporarily shifted from where it was, or a previous viewpoint will reappear, then resolve to what I should be seeing.

I get the sense that these video cards don't throw out old images until they have to make room for new ones, so sometimes an old screen is mistakenly referenced and displayed.

• Hash Fellow

After some more testing, my Zoom-ing is also usually affected with temporary bad views although not exactly as yours is.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, R Reynolds said:

My current work around is to hold down the space bar (Refresh) before RMB.

This does seem to work. Everything is solid and stable if I do this first. I don't need to hold it down, one press is enough.

I was able to install old AMD drivers from last October (when I'm fairly sure this wasn't happening) and it still had the issue. I'm guessing "...don't throw out old images until they have to make room for new ones..." is a Windows (I'm still Win10) feature. I've found another work around; precede each window selection with a quick Move and everything is displayed as expected. Also, for the sake of completeness, I tried re-installing v19p...no joy. 

• 3 months later...
  • Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, R Reynolds said:

I see v19.5a still has this issue. Should I run a video capture of what I'm talking about as an example for Steffen?

Yes, do that. Narrate your actions as you go through the motions and note the problem.

Did this ever get made an AM bug Report?

Have any newer card drivers come out since this thread?

Did this ever get made an AM bug Report?

Not to my knowledge.

Have any newer card drivers come out since this thread?

In the past, AMD updated drivers automatically and I haven't seen a new one since this issue started last fall.

Narrate your actions as you go through the motions and note the problem.

Please review the attached video and let me know if I've missed anything.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 8:50 PM, R Reynolds said:

Not to my knowledge.

In the past, AMD updated drivers automatically and I haven't seen a new one since this issue started last fall.

Please review the attached video and let me know if I've missed anything.

Actually there were new once. Click on Start and just start typing "AMD Software: Adrenaline edition". When it started, on "Home" at the upper right corner you can see if there is a new one out. Current version is 23.7.2 publish End of July 2023.

I am pretty sure it will not make a difference, but anyway: Updating a driver might help anyway.

Best regards
*Fuchur*