Hash, Inc. Forums

Model Relationships - Copy Poses / Smart Skin from one model to another ? ?

a.quaihoi

Hi all,

is there a way to copy poses and smart skin relations from one model to another without replacing the rig ?  We have 4 models that use identical bodies that have identical poses, but Ive start to do the smart skin on one model and have realised that it will take a bit of time to do the for the other models - I have searched the forum but only game dev posts come up for "smart skin " + " copy " + " re use "  - any one know a solution ? Thanks.

• Hash Fellow

If the "body" is the same but they are differentiated by accessories... like different meshes for the "hairstyle", I would finish all the smartskins on one model, save it, then delete its hair mesh and import the hair from a different character into its place, then resave as the new character. Repeat for other characters.

The better workflow would have been to make the generic body first with all its rigging and smart skins, then save out versions with the different accessories for each character.

• Hash Fellow

It is also possible to transplant Smartskins by dragging the Relationships folder from one model to another, but this presumes the relevant CPs are numbered the same in each model and that adding of accessories hasn't altered them.

19 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

It is also possible to transplant Smartskins by dragging the Relationships folder from one model to another, but this presumes the relevant CPs are numbered the same in each model and that adding of accessories hasn't altered them.

Yes I do remember this and I also remember that you could copy and paste poses way back when and I forgot - I’m on v18 and tried to do that but can’t seem to copy or paste, it can be dragged from one model to another but it removes it from the original model, so you’d have to drag from the original model, remove the original model from project without saving , then save the current model with the dragged smart skin . I would assume the cps are numbered the same as I just duplicated 1 model file and changed the names before reimporting them into the project 

• Hash Fellow

In Muscle mode, you can copy Smartskin keyframes from one relationship window to another; you have to do this for every keyframe a SmartSkin may contain.

It's fiddly but it's faster than resculpting a complicated SS.

I have also used this in the past to mirror a smartskin when the automatic mirroring didn't work for some reason.