Rigging from beginners to advance.

Saladeen

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

"Comprehensive" is hard to do because every character presents some choices that need to be made among the different ways of accomplishing something.

The essential A:M rigging process is

-put bones in the model

-attach the model's CPs to the bones

-add constraints to the bones... so you don't have to animate ALL the bones manually.

I think that essential process will be true of every 3D program.

A:M has several different workflows for accomplishing the above.

I recommend every new user do the "Show some backbone" tutorial in the TAoA:M booklet at least once.

Then I recommend installing TSM2 in A:M v15 (you can get v15 from the Hash ftp) and doing the rigging tutorial that is the TSM2 Manual.

Then ask questions if something is unclear.

I always use the TSM2 rig for my characters because it is easy to install and easier to modify or to add my own custom features than other workflows.

At Live Answer Time we did several sessions on TSM2:

Sept 5 2020  a generic TSM2 install from start to finish

Sept 12, 19, 26 a look at special rigging problems and techniques.

You can find recordings of those LAT sessions at https://forums.hash.com/topic/48801-live-answer-time-less-live-archived-versions/

I like TSM2 best of all. But that might be that I've just used it a bunch.

I have also used the "Saucy rig" as well. One issue that I ran into with the Saucy rig was that the main hip position always ended up high on the

character. Above where I thought it should be. This was probably my error somehow. One thing I liked a lot about the Saucy rig is the way the fingers worked.

I like the Saucy rig's finger system a lot better than TSM2's. TSM2 also allows you to install separate body part rigs. I like having that flexibility.

TSM2 is much easier to install....In my opinion. But unfortunately you must install A:M V.15 now to use it.