Hash, Inc. Forums

Memory Drain with V19

strato

• Hash Fellow

It is possible that those programs, separated by 15 years, have different ram-usage strategies or that the compiler that made them did.

Which one renders faster? If 19 isn't rendering faster something is wrong.

Is this preventing you from running other programs?

Hi Robert, Gerald. The machine has currently only 8GB and it's a 64 bit version of W7. There is no difference in performance between V 13 and V19, other than the memory draw. Also the files, (models, projects, actions etc) are completely interchangeable. The reason I use both is that I have a Japanese plug in for MDD  export in V13 which works perfectly, while the one in V19 doesn't (any point discrepancy will render the export invalid). Also I do have issues to render previews or finals with Multi-Pass and Toon Render in V 19. What I do like so far in V19 is that invoking the scale or transform widget the model doesn't partially hide the colored translate points. I just read on another post that you are both beta testers for the upcoming version, so I hope you don't mind if I bring up a feature that Animation Master used to have but has been abandoned way back in version 9.5 or maybe earlier, which are the guidelines in the bone hierarchy. Also one forum member had a great idea to color code the action sections from the object sections as it is too easy to make changes in the wrong one. In other words if the negative space on the left side of the bones list could be used for more insights, that would surely be helpful. Just discovered Ultimate Unwrap on Gerald's Website and the way that program represents the bones, including a designation for a geo bone by a letter A in a square is great. If one could just have a few letters to see if the bone is a geo bone, has a Smart skin and a constraint. This should probably go into the feature request area. Anyway, I will look into the memory thing on my desktop when I get to it, Thanks for your responses.

image.jpeg

• Hash Fellow
11 minutes ago, strato said:

There is no difference in performance between V 13 and V19, other than the memory draw.

The render times are identical? I'm very doubtful about this. I know that the difference between v15 and v19 is substantial. I can't run v13 in Windows 10

I would be curious to see results from the teapot benchmark.

https://forums.hash.com/topic/36753-cpu-render-benchmark/#comment-316705

The reason I use both is that I have a Japanese plug in for MDD  export in V13 which works perfectly, while the one in V19 doesn't (any point discrepancy will render the export invalid).

I dont' know anything about MDD, but a bug that can be duplicated can be reported. If you can show how valid input ( I don't know what a discrepancy is) creates invalid output that would be something that can be reported.

Also I do have issues to render previews or finals with Multi-Pass and Toon Render in V 19.

That is a bit vague to act on or know how to direct you.

I will get back to the performance issue next week when I have two computers, both running W 10 and 7 and V13(on 7) and 19 on both. Concerning the MDD issue, I had referred to it in another post with examples. It seems that having hooks and 5-point patches will break the MDD export as it does not match the point count of the original model, plus the point count is different between an OBJ file and a LWO file.  Mr Watanabe had solved it back for V 10. Just to quickly explain. MDD was a point level cache introduced by Lightwave to export animation by practically exporting every frame as a model. There was a 'Point Oven' Importer for XSi, there is an importer for Blender, but the best was the Riptide Pro importer for C4D since it functioned as a deformer, which let you use other deformers in the hierarchy. Concerning the render issues I will further investigate next week and let you know. Thanks for your response.