Hash, Inc. Forums

Spring Systems?

ivanbryan82

• Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, ivanbryan82 said:

Is the spring system dead?

The tools are still there. If they do not show in your interface, you can add the Dynamics Motion Mode button to a toolbar from Tools>Customize>Commands.

image.png

Add Mass and Add Spring...

image.png

In a Pose I was able to RMB>New>New Spring System

So the tools seem to still be there. I've never used them and am not sure of their potential.

Also will there be any tutorial on how to apply softbody in parts of a character? 

Bullet Soft Body? I'm not sure that's possible since Bullet animates the mesh to be independent of any bones it was attached to.

Maybe Spring System is for squishy meshes? I've never tried it!

• exciting 1

14 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

@ivanbryan82 Look at pg 182 of the TechRef for info on spring systems. If you know anything about Spring Systems I'd be eager to hear  it.

@robcat2075

Ok so I created a simple animation of a nugget and in the Muscle mode I selected four splines in the middle section of the model and ran the Cloth Wizard. 

What I gather is that to create the jiggly part, you'd need to model a spring cage with a "mass" particle constrained to each CP you'll want to jiggle. Then you'd have to change the spring that's connected to each "mass" particle to one of either 3 types like Structural, Fold or Shear. 

Only the mass particle that's not fixed will jiggle while those that is set to Fixed will remained unaffected by the simulation (it would be surrounded along the border). 

The Cloth Wizard does a great job at setting everything up automatically. But for the life of me, I can't find how to constrain the CP to the mass particle if I want to create the softbody cage manually. All that's available is a mass to bone constraint. :( Any idea how to add constraints to CPs?

• Hash Fellow

You already know more than I do! I just finally found the cloth wizard.

I can't find how to constrain the CP to the mass particle if I want to create the softbody cage manually. All that's available is a mass to bone constraint.

If you create a bone for each CP you can attach the CP to a bone and constrain the bone to the mass.

But are Masses like bones?... if you select a mass then you select the CPs that are supposed to be attached to it?

I haven't had much success creating springs from scratch. Do you have this problem...

I've been playing with the Cloth Wizard and it came to me that I don't want to create the cage manually anymore. Haha looks tedious! 

Best to do it backwards where the Wizard will create the cage and I can delete the springs I don't need. I find it can have some real use case where it can fulfill effects that's just impossible to do with SimCloth or with Dynamics Constraints like this jelly thingy I made :)   

FYI your video isn't playing on my side. it's stuck as a blank player. :( 

But are Masses like bones?... if you select a mass then you select the CPs that are supposed to be attached to it?

In the TechRef there is a mention for two additional constraints called Mass to CP constraint and CP to Mass constraint on page 169 but I can't find it anywhere! 😰

I wanna see what I can do with the bone to spring constraint now. Hope some cool effects can be made in conjunction with that. 

7 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

try RMB>Save Video As

Still no luck. :(

Well my study into the Bone to Spring constraint was somewhat enlightening. Here I have the nose softbody driving the ear bone. Or at least try to imagine it as such. I'm still learning the ins and outs of modeling.