Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

run version 12 on newer windows machine

modernhorse

Hi all - wishing to return to A:M as a hobbyist.  Can a newer windows machine be configured to run the old software, in my case version 12 (yeti, 2006).

No sense to me to upgrade since I've got it and it will be for fun.  Thanks for any info.  

-Doug

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

If you can install Windows 7 or earlier on the PC and it has the CD drive, yes.

Windows 7 will require a work-around...

https://forums.hash.com/topic/47589-solved-need-technical-assistance-running-am-cdrom-versions/

I have heard of people using virtual machines in Windows 10 or later to run those earlier OSes and the software that needs them but I've never tried it.

Since Windows Vista precedes 7 I presume it will run all right ( i have an oldish laptop with this OS).  

So, can one bring a newer pc to a tech and have an older version of windows installed on it?  I presume yes....?

Or get a new PC and buy a lifetime license I suppose would be the easiest.  

Thanks for the reply robcat2075!

• Hash Fellow

Initially, Windows 7 ran the old CD version of A:M fine. At some point updates removed the code that allowed the CD-as-copy-protection to work. Similar updates to VIsta or earlier may have done the same. I don't know.

I don't know what the legalities are for Techs installing deprecated OSes. You can always ask.

If one shops carefully one can usually buy a retail installation DVD for older Windows versions on ebay.

OK one more ... if I decide to get the Full package for 299.00 can someone explain the dvd options?  

So, I get the manual and what? extra models, etc?  Which option should I chose for windows?   .exe?  

Thanks for any more information.

• Hash Fellow

My only sure knowledge of the $299 version is that it doesn't expire. It is still locked to the computer you install it on and it doesn't include updates to future version. . I don't know what the DVD contains.

I strongly recommend the $79 annual subscription.

Took your advice robcat2075 and got the annual subscription.  I'm now looking for a decent used desktop PC.  I registered under Mac but will switch once I get the computer - hoping that won't be an issue.  

Wondering if I can still use the old training materials or if the program has changed that much over the years.  Any thoughts?

• Hash Fellow

The interface of the program has been consistent since v10.5

Nearly all the old training material will be relevant especially that regarding modeling.

v19 will be the last that supports Mac so you definitely want a Windows PC going forward. Get something with at least four cores so you can make good use of NetRender.

Guest modernhorse

Hi again,

how do I reach out to Jason?  Says that support is backed up and I need to switch my license from one machine to another (Mac to pc).  I’m dead in the water.  :)

Thanks!

-Doug