Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Question on a gear tutorial...

Kaijubait

Hi guys,

Well, I come to you now because I find myself at another impasse. This is something which I get the impression should be simple but I’m making it harder than it really is. This is also an instance where I think I would benefit much more from an in-person, class type setting then trying to interpret words out of a book. It’s a communication issue.

The project is the creation of a gear.

Everything up through the first image I am fine with. I can get something which looks like figure 6.13

I have also gathered that when they go on to say “select two CPs, skip two CPs”, we are actually talking about groups of eight CPs at a time. The illustrations certainly display that. “These points are scaled down to make the valleys…” Stop right there… Am I scaling X, Y or Z, or all three? I’ve tried all those combinations and I do not get what I want (figure 6.14), or do they mean something else? And scale them by how much?

The next sentence also baffles me “Select the entire gear and change the magnitude of all the splines to 10”. I’m afraid I don’t know what they’re talking about.

Help clarifying any or all of this would be appreciated. Also, I seem to recall that one of you was in the DFW area and if you are available for one on on tutoring in this semi-post covid universe (I got the booster, FWIW), I would definitely like to talk.

As always, thank ye much.

- Mike

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks for that video, Rob! It helped in what I was doing as well as opened some new avenues that I'll explore when I find the time.

I may investigate Live Answer Time one of these Saturdays, but I'm juggling quite a bit right now. I'm usually up at the Dallas Maker's Space around noon.

But I will try to find the time... maybe if we get another freeze this February and there's nothing else that I CAN do...

- Mike