Hash, Inc. Forums

decals and displacement

createo

Hello AM,

I explore AM's extremely efficient and powerful mapping system !
I have a question about surface displacement :
The definition is not excellent and we often end up with a rather coarse physical aliasing if we approach the 3D model.
Is there an option to achieve progressive aliasing depending on the distance to the camera?

thanks in advance

greetings

Try using a slighty blurred displayment-map... and if you are going for a gradient, use for instance an EXR image.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

PS: I do not know if it is meaningful here, but the name of the decal suggests something there... DPI isn't a meaning full thing here... it all is about pixels here.

• Hash Fellow

Displacement maps are tricky to get good results from.

Perfectly vertical sides will be impossible. The edges of any form will need to have some slope. The more slope the better.

Straight lines and sharp edges tend to show off the worst of displacement maps.

Zero width lights seem to be a problem. Use a ray-traced light wide enough to cast a discernible penumbra.

I'm not sure what causes the wavy lines but my work-around is to render at 2x or 3x or 4x the normal res and then scale that down to normal size in post.

I used the font wizard to model a "1" with a wide bevel and added a flat plane to serve as a background.

I put a black-to-white gradient on it and shot that with an orthogonal camera to get my displacement map. I used OpenEXR but PNG16 will work also.

OneModel.jpg

I decaled that to a sphere.

This is rendered at 480p with 16 passes

480p_000.jpg

This is rendered at 1440p with 2 passes and scaled down to 480

1440pX_000.jpg

14 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

Hello,
Nice explanation, thank you!
I will be able to familiarize myself with the EXR format ...
Surface displacement should therefore not be used lightly!
I also have a question about the hair: the calculation time increases disproportionately as soon as I apply hair to a simple object such as a cube!?!
Are there any parameters to activate or deactivate or is the function very "greedy"?

Greats