Hash, Inc. Forums

mechanical articulation

createo

Hello,

I'm still not on vacation but continue to explore gently AM.

In the case of an object with mechanical articulation (luxo, excavator) is one obliged to have a rigging with bones and a skeleton ?

In this case, many 3D software adopt a "simple" hierarchy objects and we can still benefit from IK. Is this possible with AM ?

Am I using copy move and rotate constraints to attach objects?

thank you

see you soon

• Hash Fellow

Bones will be the simplest and best way to control mechanical objects.

You will have to add them. It won't be automatic.

It won't be like a full human rig but you will have parts attached to bones and probably use constraints to simplify maneuvering them.

Here is a simple Luxo example

LuxoSimple002.prj

It uses a few bones and constraints much like an IK Leg or IK Arm.

• Hash Fellow
On 7/27/2021 at 4:41 AM, createo said:

In this case, many 3D software adopt a "simple" hierarchy objects and we can still benefit from IK. Is this possible with AM ?

If you make a car in that other 3D software it won't automatically know what parts are the wheels and what parts are the doors. You will have to somehow group the polygons for each part so the software knows they are supposed to move together.

That is done in A:M by adding a bone and then selecting the CPs that will belong to it.

The hierarchy of those bones can be arranged and re-arranged in the PWS.

It is possible in A:M to drag around the end of a chain of bones and the chain will behave in an IK fashion, even if you have not made an IK constraint.

It is POSSIBLE.

Adding a real constraints creates more predictable behavior and is so easy to do that it should always be done that way.

Am I using copy move and rotate constraints to attach objects?

I'm not sure what you mean.

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that in my "Luxo Simple" , the "Head Control" and "Base Control" nulls are not necessary.

I just added them on top of the "Head" and "Base" bones because nulls are easier to grab and move onscreen.