Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

OpenMP & GPU processing ?

I can't say how long these options have been around but I noticed that Netrender has two checkboxes.

Enable OpenMP for slaves

Enable GPU processing for slaves

Currently my CPU has four physical cores so I typically run three of them in Netrender and leave the fourth to run A:M. What would enabling OpenMP bring to the party?

Windows 11's Trusted Platform Module spec. is giving me an excuse to replace my 11 year old hardware. What GPU specs. should I shop for to take advantage of GPU processing?

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I don't think enabling Open MP will bring much to net render if you are already maxing out your core usage.

My understanding is that A:M currently only uses GPU processing SSAO and for certain post effect filters, so general rendering is not sped up by the GPU. I can't find where those filters are selected at the moment. But if you are using SSAO you may want to enable it. When "Use GPU" is off  or if the card does not have the features necessary for GPU SSAO, A:M uses a slower CPU version.

However, I would encourage anyone shopping for a new graphics card to get one that supports real-time ray tracing under DirectX 12, in case that can be somehow incorporated in a future A:M.

Graphics cards prices are currently insane due to bitcoin miners and pandemic production problems, so waiting a bit before spending money might be wise.

• Hash Fellow

I don't know much about the code in A:M but OpenMP seems to help quite a bit with non-rendering tasks like the "finding patches" thing when editing dense models and cloth simulations. Maybe particles too?

But the "Final Render" is single threaded, AFAIK.