Hash, Inc. Forums

Question about animating a "shape morph"

Hello,

I had an idea about an animation I'd like to do which I'm trying (probably unsuccessfully, knowing me) to keep fairly simple. It involves basically one thing that I want to make sure is feasible before moving forward. If not, then I need a Plan B.

I have a round hole in a flat surface. For part of the animation, I want the round hole to morph into a square hole, and then back to a round hole. 

Is that something that can be animated?

Thanks

• Hash Fellow

Yes that is very doable.

One way is to make the mesh so that it can support both shapes and then Pose slider between the two.

This would be a great topic to bring to Live Answer Time.

• Admin

Here's a proof of concept for animating the biases of a four Control Point lathe to have it morph from circle to square.

In this case not directly moving into the shape but changing size and delaying the shape change a little.

Project File attached as well.

circle2square.gif

square2round.prj

• Thanks 1

Awesome! That's perfect.  Pretty much exactly the concept I was going for - but better since it has that cool extra bit of transition in there. There'll be a bit of umm.. "back and forth" in mine due why it's changing shape... I don't wanna give anything away since I could change my mind before then.

I set mine up with a 4 point circle as well and was wondering if that would be enough (the joys of learning when everything's a ?)

How do the Live Answer Times work? What software is used, etc? I assume that's the thing you do on Saturdays from what I've seen?

• Hash Fellow
14 minutes ago, WolfsongCG said:

How do the Live Answer Times work? What software is used, etc? I assume that's the thing you do on Saturdays from what I've seen?

Follow the link in my signature, the thread there will explain it.