Hash, Inc. Forums

Dense simcloth

• robcat2075 changed the title to Dense simcloth
  • Hash Fellow
16 minutes ago, Tom said:

I tried saving the file but it didn't work. Don't know if it is my internet connection or something else??

It's a big file. Probably that weird internet connection of yours.

Here's the PRJ without the cloth simmed.

TogaThom006d 1cm clothUNSIMMED.prj

Load it, RMB in the Chor and choose Plugins>Simcloth Simulate.

And let it run all night. 😄

I tried to build one similar to your settings. My cloth kept passing through the underlying object. Why? I tried using the cloth and underlying object in the same model as your sample file, the simulation did not work. The cloth dropped to the floor without any folding and passed through the model. I tried using two different models, the cloth did react with the underlying object but it still passed through and dropped to the ground. I'm using V18

• Hash Fellow
3 hours ago, rijklau said:

I tried to build one similar to your settings. My cloth kept passing through the underlying object. Why? I tried using the cloth and underlying object in the same model as your sample file, the simulation did not work. The cloth dropped to the floor without any folding and passed through the model. I tried using two different models, the cloth did react with the underlying object but it still passed through and dropped to the ground. I'm using V18

Is the cloth deflector material on all the objects?

I might know the reason why mine's won't work. I tried to use a "scaffolding".

image.png

The cloth fell right through.

image.png

I then used a closed framework

image.png

The cloth then stopped passing through

image.png

But at the end of the simulation, part of the cloth still went through.

image.png

• Hash Fellow

What is the "Collision Tolerance" setting in the Chor?

I can get something like that pass thru if I set it very low, like 0.01

Set it to 0.5 or higher

"Substeps" too low can also do that. 4 is already low. Try 16 or higher.

13 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

I get the same appearance if I have "Show backfacing patches" OFF. Hit SHIFT-6

image.png

I see, that is always my setting since I mainly use the models for 3D printing.

BTW, it seems that there is no way to export the cloth geometry after simulation, especially from the intermediate frames?

• Hash Fellow
4 minutes ago, rijklau said:

BTW, it seems that there is no way to export the cloth geometry after simulation, especially from the intermediate frames?

Choose your frame, set the models you don't want exported (like the Ground) to Active >OFF, then RMB on the Chor>Export>Model

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Tip for cloth experimenters:

• Collision Tolerance... reduce it to 1 or less. Large numbers don't prevent collisions, they make it more likely the cloth will get fatally squeezed between surfaces.
  • Sub Steps and Adaptive Subdivisions: pick some combination that will allow a max of at least a thousand. "Adaptive subdivisions" is how many times "Sub Steps" can be doubled.
  • Multiple instances. If you've eliminated sure-fails like cloth starting too close to a deflector or getting pinched between two deflector surfaces, try starting a simulation , then open up another instance of A:M and start the same PRJ on the same simulation, then open another Instance and do it again. Let them run. One will probably do better than the others. This is if you have more than one core and have Multi-processing enabled in your Options>Global tab.