Hash, Inc. Forums

A:M on an i9 rocks!

Vance G

I recently started doing lots of large (for me anyway) rendering jobs on my Dell Windows computer I purchased the end of last year, which has an Intel i9 processor.  The i9 processor has 8 cores (most desktop i7s have 4).  Each core can run two threads of normal programs, but each has only one math processor.  As a result, you can run 8 NetRender Messengers (slaves) at a time, as rendering is all math.  I'm getting 45 seconds of animation (1,350 frames) at 720p rendered in a little over two hours!  The last time I was rendering large numbers of frames (on a dual-core machine a few years back), it would take around 18 hours to do a similarly sized batch. 

I've found that turning on the Open MP setting in the Job Wizard causes it to run more slowly, at least on my machine.  One question I have is whether there is a way to configure the Render Server to start 8 slaves when it starts up?  It starts 2 slaves, and I have to manually start the other 6.

Anyway, thanks to the folks at Hash for making it work seamlessly on the new processor (the i9 was quite new when I bought my machine), taking full advantage of its processing power!

-Vance

• Hash Fellow
7 hours ago, Vance G said:

One question I have is whether there is a way to configure the Render Server to start 8 slaves when it starts up?  It starts 2 slaves, and I have to manually start the other 6.

Yes there is.

Edit the Netrender.cmd file in your A:M program folder...

REM starts the rendermessnger in two instances for a dual core machine
REM renderserver should be started first
start renderserver_64.exe
timeout /t 15
start rendermessenger_64.exe
timeout /t 15

duplicate this portion for as many nodes as you need to start...

timeout /t 15

That file will get reverted it you later do a Help>Reset All Settings so you may wish to save a copy elsewhere.

I've found that turning on the Open MP setting in the Job Wizard causes it to run more slowly

OpenMP enables multi processing, which probably has no advantage for NetRender.

• Thanks 1