Hash, Inc. Forums

action, poses, relationships,... ?!?!

createo

Hello,

There is an important procedure that I do not understand in animating a character and his poses.

1 - I created a model: the head
2 - I created a bone to be able to move my eyes horizontally or vertically.

3 - I assigned the points of the eyes to the bone
4 - I created two poses (vertical and horizontal) for the eye movements.

When I place the head object in the choreography, the pose sliders work but the eyes don't move !?

Is there a basic tutorial (exercise) that allows you to follow the different stages of a simple creation chain: from modeling to the calculation of movement in the choreography ?

The tutorials that I find always cover only one aspect of creation (either modeling, or rigging, or animation, ...) and the links to be made between each are not always obvious ...
Barry Zundel's tutorials are very interesting but a bit complicated when you don't have the basic procedures for creating relationships.
They are at the heart of the power and flexibility of AM but I have not yet correctly understood their uses in the different categories (poses, animations, bones, actions, ...)
It's very confusing for me at the moment.
Some links to interesting Holmes Bryant videos no longer work :-(

See you soon 

pupilles bougent pas.jpg

pupilles bougent pas02.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Barry Zundel's tutorials are very interesting but a bit complicated when you don't have the basic procedures for creating relationships.

They are at the heart of the power and flexibility of AM but I have not yet correctly understood their uses in the different categories (poses, animations, bones, actions, ...)
It's very confusing for me at the moment.

Character animation is the most advanced kind of animation there is. He's breaking it down into small parts because there is too much to know to put it all in one tutorial.

I agree it is hard to see the big picture at first.

When I place the head object in the choreography, the pose sliders work but the eyes don't move !?

My first guess is that you are moving the sliders in the original instance of the model in the Objects folder.

To make animation key frames with those sliders you will want to move them in the instance of the model that is in the Action or Choreography you are using it in.

BTW, I'll note that your screen capture shows a red border around the viewport.

That means "Animate mode" is OFF and you can't make new key frames. If you wanted that, and know why you wanted that... OK... but you probably don't want that.

Read this thread... What does the red border mean?

6 hours ago, createo said:

pupilles bougent pas.jpg

• Hash Fellow
7 hours ago, createo said:

Why is there a difference between "project space" and "timeline" since they both use keyframes?

reply in other thread... https://forums.hash.com/topic/50228-ultra-quickstart-model-bone-animate-render/?do=findComment&comment=424218