Hash, Inc. Forums

bone duplicate

createo

Hello,
Here in France I have a few days of vacation :-) to accelerate my exploration of AM which I find brilliant, only the rather long calculation times bother me. The rest of the program is fine with me.
In the tutorial : at 8:57

the user clicks on a bone and duplicates it with the control key. I can not reproduce this action !? I do not understand why ? Do you have another example please?
I don't have any examples of how to use smartskins, do you have any?
This is what animation master lacks. These are simple examples of simple situations. When I understand the basics of AM better, I will try to find time for many very simple examples. This can help promote this fabulous software.

Thank you in advance !

See you soon
teo

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

Hi Teo!

At 8:57 I see him moving a bone, not duplicating a bone. Did you mean some other time?

You can duplicate a bone in the heirarchy by CTRL-dragging it onto the "Bones" folder or to any other bone that is not its child. The cursor wlll show a + sign when you are hovering over a valid target.

Note that this duplicates the bone and all its children. If you didn't want the children duplicated also, you will need to delete them manually.

• Like 2

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that when he speaks of "cosmetic" bones, maybe they say that at Pixar where he was working but in the A:M world we have almost always called them "fan" bones.

A simple example of smartskin? There are none! :D  That is because simple situations are usually well-handled by the fan ("Cosmetic") bone he shows you how to make.

Smartskin is for when the intermediate motion you need is not a simple percentage relationship between two bones.

A brief example I can think of is when you want a bicep to bulge when the forearm curls.

image.png

In a model, the CPs of the bicep would be attached to the blue bone, but Smartskin lets you relate the bulging of the bicep to the motion of the green bone

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

I'll also note that in the video Barry Zundel creates and demonstrates the constraints in an "Action".

Creating constraints in an Action used to be the standard procedure, but you had to drop that Action on your character every time you wanted him to have those constraints.

Today we create the constraints in a "Pose" which is always saved with the Character.

However, if you want to test or demonstrate the constraints, you still want to open an Action or Chor to do that, to avoid creating weird motion keyframes in your constraint Pose.