Hash, Inc. Forums

Importing textures on my model?

CodyP24

Really Impressive modelling and texturing Cody!!!

I usually model and texture within A:M when doing projects, sometimes the spline flow isn't 
what I'm looking for in a model when importing things to A:M but I have seen some detailed
models imported to A:M from Lightwave. (not sure how textures import as well)

• Hash Fellow

That is a great looking character model! He will be happier in the program he was created in.

Trying to convert old polygon models into A:M spline models is not a new-user proposition and not something a new user should be spending time on to get the most out of A:M.

The typologies of polygon models are VERY poor candidates for converting to spline models. Trying to do that is guaranteed unhappiness and frustration for a new A:M user.

Splines and polygons appear to make the same shapes but they do it in very different ways.

Put that model aside for now. You can make great-looking models like that in A:M, but you want to do it in A:M. Trying to do the model outside of A:M is not a short cut.

In general it should yes... be aware that many file formats need the texture to be copied in the same directory as the model file itself.
OBJ files need the MTL for instance too, because that will hold the material informations in them and where to find textures, etc.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• 3 weeks later...

While converting a lot of models from and to AnimationMaster for game purpose it came to me the import files have the need of a confirmed extention.

So I think it is more rule to know how it is imported. I hope it is an obj. format. Without the mtl file it will ruin the UV map.

There is some additional software that makes it possible to add these layers (*.mtl) to the obj.

One of the most flexible and free programs is Noesis. It even import and export *.fbx files.

https://richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php

I use it often when my 3ds models won't export compatible with the game I need them for. That is when I export 3ds files there ate some programs that use them say : "no vertices in 3ds file. I think it has something to do with splines versus vertexes.

Another good one is Mesh lab. It gives control on the way AM uses splines versus squad/vertices 3ds files.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/meshlab/