Hash, Inc. Forums

AVI output lower resolution than set - Help

VRMAN

Reaquainting myself with AM.  Currently using AM 64 bit v19 on Windows 10.  Way back I used to use MOV a lot.  Since 64bit does not support outputing to MOV I am using AVI YUV at a output setting of 1024 X 768 (or larger) for a quick prview test.  When I use Quicktime the movie inspector feature of QT shows only a max of 728 X 476 resolution.  This applies to VLC as well.  Cannot find anywhere that AVI is limited to that resolution or that AM is limiting it.  What s up with AVI?   Help.

• Hash Fellow

I'm not familiar AVI YUV but it sounds like an old TV format, which would explain the res.

I'll note that you can render to Quicktime if you open your PRJ in 32-bit A:M which you can also install and run under your license. (Copy the master0.lic file from the 64-bit folder to the 32-bit folder.)

However, it is more robust to render to a JPG or TGA sequence from A:M and compress them into a movie in some app that will admit an image sequence as video.

You could load your 64-bit rendered animation into the Images folder of 32-bit A:M and do a "SAve Animation As" and choose one of the better Quicktime codecs.

Personally i prefer to use Quicktime Pro or all my recompressing needs because it also does audio compression. QT Pro is $29.99

If you have more questions, ask!

In AVI you can use uncompressed. Everything else is not really useable.
But I would highly recommend to render to TGA sequences or OpenEXR (depending on what you need).

After that I would use QT or if you are using something like Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere or another NLE that should be very nice too.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

Thanks to all.Thanks to everyone who has responded.  Since my post I have set the output resolution to 1080 HD, assuming that it might be the custom size I was using of a SVGA screen (1024X768).  Nope no change.  I was using YUV compression because for some reason uncompressed stopped working except on QT.  Now (for unknown reasons) uncompressed seems to be displaying on everything except VLC.  The maxAVI  resoution is still 729 X 476 on uncompressed.  As suggested, I have now installed the 32bit version of V19, and it works to create MOVs fine, VLC runs the uncompressed version but no picture.  QT does fine.  MOV maxes out at 985 X 615 even when enlarging the camera view. Thank you, I will try it on Adobe Premire (Elements).  By the way I have an older version of QT, 7.7.9.  Always hesitent to update QT because in the past I have lost features. Will start looking at software to stitch images.  Of course this is a hobby.  If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

• Hash Fellow

Try this

• load this PRJ into 32-bit A:M   HDRenderTest001.prj
  • in Tools>Options>Rendering check Use Settings from: The Camera
  • press Render to File button
  • Output>Format should already say QuickTime Movie. If not, set it.
  • Set Filename to save to a location you wish to save to
  • The other settings should already look like this...

RenderToFileSettings.jpg

• Press Save Options>Set
  • Set the Compression Settings in the window that appears to this...

QuicktimeSettings.jpg

• press OK

When i do that in 32-bit A:M I get a 1 second 1920x1080 HD QuickTime movie that plays in the QuickTime player and is indeed 1920x1080 in size.

I highly suggest do render to image sequences... it just makes more sense especially if something went wrong on the way and you have to rerender a couple of frames where you changed somethin, etc.

If there is a saving issue, you do not lose anything and you can easily test it with just one frame to see if that works instead of rendering a big part.
I am not sure why quicktime and even uncompress does not render larger... you are not using camera settings for rendering and those are lower resolution, right?

Best regards
*Fuchur*