Hash, Inc. Forums

sluggish v19m

R Reynolds

I just tried installing v19m. I find moving and joining cp's in a small 600 patch model in wireframe mode to be painfully slower compared to v19e (still my favorite). It reminds me of the performance you get in v19e with a multi-thousand patch model with real time shading turned on. The cp's pausing between moves in large discreet increments as all the patches are constantly refound. Am I missing a new option that needs to be turned off?

• Hash Fellow

I lathed myself a 900 patch donut and tried editing it but didn't notice any modeling operations to be awkward or slow.

Your profile shows you have a more substantial computer than I do so that shouldn't be the problem.

Just in case because I had a problem with that before:

Have a look at the units in the options. if they are for instance in meters or somethinge like that and you model is scaled very very big, it might result in problems.
Switch the units to "cm" or something like that just in case if you have a larger unit in there.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

settings.JPG

• Hash Fellow
7 minutes ago, R Reynolds said:

Thanks Robert, "Reset Settings" appears to have corrected the response.

Hooray!

There have been several times I've thought,"I can't believe A:M is doing this," but Reset Settings fixed it.

I also noticed there's now a "Reset Dialogs" command. What dialogs does this reset?

I haven't tested it. I presume it resets all the parameters in the Options tabs to their defaults? Maybe plugins too?

• Developer
On 11/28/2020 at 10:01 PM, R Reynolds said:

Thanks Robert, "Reset Settings" appears to have corrected the response.

I also noticed there's now a "Reset Dialogs" command. What dialogs does this reset?

This reset dialogs, which have a "Don't ask again" checkbox (as example the Embedd All dialog), to their default value.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, robcat2075 said:

That sounds like "Snap to Grid" is on

That can't be because the "notchiness" also occurs while adjusting bias handles.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:20 PM, yoda64 said:

I can only repeat this problem with extremly zoomed views

I suppose that depends upon your definition of "extreme". 😉 (See attached images.) I agree it's most noticeable when zoomed in (zoom = 43000) but on my machine even zoomed out (zoom = 3200) it's still there. And when I'm trying to align all splines in a flat surface using a ruler line as a reference, zooms of 100,000 are not out of the question. At those zooms, aligning a notchy bias handle becomes a bit of a chore.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:20 PM, yoda64 said:

this will be fixed in the next version

Thanks, Steffen.

v19m_zoom_out.jpg

v19m_zoom_in.jpg

20 hours ago, Fuchur said:

try toggeling it anyway

I didn't know you could do this. So you can teach an old dog new tricks! I'm not yet sure how this makes modeling easier but if I could have a switch for "aim selected bias handle at selected CP" that would be a great time saver when building orthogonal filleted corners.

None the less, the ruler related notchiness is still proportional to window zoom.

• Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, R Reynolds said:

if I could have a switch for "aim selected bias handle at selected CP" that would be a great time saver when building orthogonal filleted corners.

That's great idea. That could probably be refined into a plug-in request.

• Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, R Reynolds said:

Is there a defined process for making such a request?

It's like making a bug report at reports . hash . com

We should think about how it would work and how it would be invoked before we ask for it.

Is it a plugin? Is it a menu choice? is it something that happens with a control key combination? Is it a behavior you turn on or off?

• Hash Fellow

My first thought was that it would be a plugin, but then every time you want to use it you have to select the two CPS, RMB>Plugins>Wizards...

A top level menu command could allow a keyboard shortcut. That would be faster but our top-level menu is getting crowded.

We already have control keys to restrict the movement of bias handles...CTRL locks out rotation, SHIFT allows magnitude adjustment on one side only.

How about if holding ALT while moving a bias handle caused it to aim exactly to the next CP on the spline? And SHIFT-ALT would do that but leave the other end of the bias handle unaffected (as if the CP were peaked)?

This would be fast because you don't even have to select two CPS.

I'm hesitant to request a new feature (I think Martin once said "add a feature and add five new bugs") for a "problem" I've been living with for almost 30 years. If a plug-in is the safest way to go, by all means, use a plug-in.  I have no problem with your first thought Robert. I admire your approach to minimize key clicks but having spent who knows how many man-hours aligning bias handles, a few extra key clicks would be a small price to pay.

My first thought was something like this. With the desired bias handle already selected LMB File>Plugins>Wizards>Bias Aim and you get to choose whether the alignment is a One Time (or if possible) Movable, meaning the bias aim maintains even as you move the target CP. This would allow you to grab the entire part edge, slide it in and out and still maintain flat surfaces. Once you've chosen the type off alignment, you select the target CP and click OK. 

bias_aim_concept_00.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I think Martin once said "add a feature and add five new bugs"

Steffen has it down to one new bug, i think.

Movable, meaning the bias aim maintains even as you move the target CP.

That... sounds complicated. That would be like a constraint that works in the model window, a place where constraints don't exist. That might get you the five bugs you're expecting.

I think the one-time version is doable because it doesn't require any data to be monitored in real time after the plugin is done, it just drops new values into the bias settings.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, R Reynolds said:

I didn't know you could do this. So you can teach an old dog new tricks! I'm not yet sure how this makes modeling easier but if I could have a switch for "aim selected bias handle at selected CP" that would be a great time saver when building orthogonal filleted corners.

None the less, the ruler related notchiness is still proportional to window zoom.

The Bias to Grid-one is a pretty new feature from a feature request I did ;).

It helps a lot if you are using it for mechanical modelling. It really should help making mechnical models.

Just have a look at this:
https://www.patchwork3d.de/snap-bias-to-grid-195-en

Best regards
*Fuchur*