Hash, Inc. Forums

Nostril in this face tutorial is giving me a problem

Kaijubait

Righty-O folks, I come before you with a new quandary today.

I am working my way through the tutorial attached in David Rogers' "Animation:Master A Complete Guide" book (modeling a face). I am ok up through what you see in figure 5.38. I break the spline and it looks just like that.

It is what comes next that gives me issues. I am unable to create the nostril hole as instructed in figure 5.39 WITHOUT that hole patching/filling in. It is obviously not supposed to fill in, it is supposed to be a hole, but it isn't happening for me.

Two other things that confound me, but not as much as the first, main issue are that:
1. In addition to drawing the loop in figure 5.39 there seems to be an added patch drawn between the nostril hole and the bottom of the nose piece. Not sure why that's there, especially since we get rid of it in figure 5.40 and then...
2. Add it back in in figure 5.41. If we wanted it all along then why did we get rid of it?

But those those head scratchers are not the main issue. Figuring out how to create my nostril hole without it filling in is my main issue.

Thanks -

- Mike

Hash_scan.jpg

• Hash Fellow

4 hours ago, Kaijubait said:

I am working my way through the tutorial attached in David Rogers' "Animation:Master A Complete Guide" book (modeling a face). I am ok up through what you see in figure 5.38. I break the spline and it looks just like that.

It is what comes next that gives me issues. I am unable to create the nostril hole as instructed in figure 5.39 WITHOUT that hole patching/filling in. It is obviously not supposed to fill in, it is supposed to be a hole, but it isn't happening for me.

I was able to make that topology and the hole. (I'm not crazy about the topology but maybe he has a reason.)

image.png

I'd probably have to see you do it to know what you're doing differently. If you can you should bring this to Live Answer Time and we could try it.

When all four sides of something belong to the same spline, it should remain unfilled.

Two other things that confound me, but not as much as the first, main issue are that:
1. In addition to drawing the loop in figure 5.39 there seems to be an added patch drawn between the nostril hole and the bottom of the nose piece. Not sure why that's there, especially since we get rid of it in figure 5.40 and then...
2. Add it back in in figure 5.41. If we wanted it all along then why did we get rid of it?

I think it may just be an illustration out of order

I got it to work, but it was not going to happen the way the book was instructing (or showing) me.

My spleens were not all one spleen, which was giving me the issue. But, in order to make it one spleen, I had to delete and break additional points that were not indicated and patch them up afterward.