Hash, Inc. Forums

Faceshield / Mask combination

Fuchur

Hi everybody,

since we are more or less all wearing some kind of mask or faceshield nowadays, it sometimes is a little bit harder to see the expressions on peoples faces who are wearing masks.
On the other hand faceshields are little bit less effective concerning filtering moisture out of the air.

So recently I thought of a little concept to combine those two tools together with the help of Animation:Master and my Makerbot Replicator 2.
Hope you like it :).

More can be seen on my blog article here:
https://www.patchwork3d.de/blog-5-en/mask-with-integrated-face-shield-or-how-to-show-mouth-expression-despite-corona-and-the-obligation-t-1080

Best regards
*Fuchur*

complete_maske_shield_05.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the kind words Dan :)

I recently used it a couple of times outside and it works pretty nicely. I even used it while going for a run and skating and even that works pretty nicely, but in those situations I am producing too much moisture and it will start to mist up the mouth shield and will even build up droplets of water in there after 15 - 30 minutes or something like that (which somehow says it works great for what it is build to do ;)), but other than that it works great.

And yes, I am already working on a slimmer second version ;-). It is pretty bulky as you can see on the last images in the blog article. :)

Best regards
*Fuchur*

21 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

What is the "transparent sealing foil"?

I just bought 1m x 1.5m of cover foil in a local hardware store. Normally it is used to cover up garden huts and things like that I think. Pretty solid stuff.

20 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

How did you match the shape to your face when you were modeling it?

I just got a human 3d head from the internet and used it as a reference. Then I modelled it using the retopology tools in A:M. I printed that one out and just tried out how well it fitted (pretty good already) and just re-adjusted the model where it did not. Result is, that it fits pretty perfect now – since a face isn't solid but a little bit squishy everything is done by a little bit of pressure. (not too much of cause... just a tiny little bit is enough.

The next one is going to be in white and a little bit less bulky, but in the end this prototype is already very good and does what he should :).

Best regards
*Fuchur*