Hash, Inc. Forums

Can you do a selective Boolean cut?

Tom

Hello All-

Trying and experiment and not sure if it is possible. I have a cube with another smaller cube making a Boolean cut inside the large cube. I also have a blue cylinder sticking out of the cube (like a pipe sticking out of a wall). I would like the blue cylinder to be unaffected by the Boolean cut.... but as you can see by the picture, the Boolean cut effects everything (notice hollow area on blue cylinder).

The question is, ....is there a way to make a Boolean cut selective to only one object in a scene, while ignoring other objects inside the "cut area"? (I tried playing around with different bone hierarchies but, no luck yet.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tom

BooleanPix.jpg

BooleanTest1.prj

Yes ......it worked in v15......interesting...

Then I exported the model into v19 and it was the same as before....

Hmmm.

so the only way this works is in v15?  No workarounds for the higher versions? I thought maybe a clever bone hierarchy would trick the software..

• Hash Fellow
13 minutes ago, Tom said:

so the only way this works is in v15?  No workarounds for the higher versions? I thought maybe a clever bone hierarchy would trick the software..

A sure way to get the render you want is to make the cylinder a separate model. That will work in v19.

But... you've found a bug!

If it works in v15 it should work in v19 but... it doesn't. So something is wrong with the renderer.

You could make a bug report to AMReports. Your test case is ideal for showing the difference.

v15-18 render properly. The fault originates sometime during v19. I bet someone woudl enjoy testing all the v19s to see when it starts.

I sent Steffen all the info and hopefully that can be fixed...

BTW- In viewing all the old cartoons from the 1930's , are you familiar with Max Fleischer's Grampy cartoons? Some of my favorites..like "Grampy's Indoor Outing"-

I love the way they combine real 3D sets with the animation.

I didn't know there was a bug report site...I just sent a short note Steffen with a graphic and explanation. I'll keep that other site in mind for the future. thanks!

BTW- There were 10 Grampy shorts and the animators made sure that every one of his inventions was possible ( at least in a cartoon universe). Here is another one...

• Hash Fellow

Grampy seems to live in a universe where everything needs to be reinvented, even if it has been invented. :D

I notice that the Fleischer animators almost never do an anticipation to a body movement, unless it's incorporated in a repeating cycle.

Freeze. In-between to the next pose. Freeze. In-between to the next pose. Freeze.

No overlapping action, no overshoots , not much slow-in-slow-out.

It's 1935 and they're animating like it's 1929. :o

That's another great model that Betty walks through at 1:00 in "Betty Boop and Grampy".

I'm fascinated by the wheel chair(?) ramps at the curbs. Clearly they are there so she doesn't have to step down and up again but... were those a thing back then? :dontknow:

Interesting observations about the Fleischer's animation style. I'll have to pay more attention when I look at their work.

Those 3D backgrounds were on a huge lazy Susan setup that was slowly turned frame by frame. I don't understand how they were able to light the whole scene while hanging the cels in front and get no shadows...

If you ever watch their Popeye and SIndbad, it has a lot of 3D ..in color!

Fleischers.jpg

• Hash Fellow
57 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't understand how they were able to light the whole scene while hanging the cels in front and get no shadows...

That was a problem for Disney's "Multi-plane" too.

I suspect that in that photo with Max Fleischer, the "flags" that would have shielded the lights for the cels from the 3D background, have been removed to show the set up more clearly.