Hash, Inc. Forums

Just a few questions...

J. Baker

1.a) Does Hash still offer their $99.00 upgrade?
1.b) If so, is it computer restricted like the digital download version?

2.) Didn't the Hash website use to have a link to all the CD mascots covers?

3.) What happen to all the old videos that use to be in the gallery?

• Hash Fellow
8 minutes ago, J. Baker said:

1.a) Does Hash still offer their $99.00 upgrade?
1.b) If so, is it computer restricted like the digital download version?

Hi Joe,

There is not a $99 upgrade anymore.

The offering is now a $79 annual subscription. It is indeed tied to the computer you activate it on.  I realize that is not the same as it was before but I recommend that as you can always be current on updates

There is also a $299 non-expiring version, also a digital download, also tied to the computer you activate it on and also tied to the version  you got when you bought it. I do not recommend that.

I recommend the $79 subscription so you can always be current on updates. Your subscription license also lets you run any version from v15 onward. v19 is the current version

I'm not sure of the answer to your other two questions. the A:M videos and A:M gallery seem to have had trouble since the last website upgrade.

However, the ftp site still has dirs for movies and gallery

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/

Thanks for the info but that stinks. Being "old school" I sure miss big box software. Everything is digital now. It just is not the same as purchasing a physical copy. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of computer locked license keys. I can think of at least four times that a developer just vanished and now I can no longer register and use the software I purchased. I hope that never happens to Hash.

Anyway, Thanks again and I'll have to check out the ftp. ;)

Joe

• Hash Fellow

I remember people always complaining that they had to have the CD in the computer to run A:M. 😃

CDs are no longer feasible. The alternative is to not have the software available anymore. 🙁

That's funny. I never thought of the CD being an issue. I actually thought it was good protection for its time. Maybe those who complained wanted to go in halfsies with a friend but found out they couldn't and therefor disliked the CD protection.

• Hash Fellow

I still treasure my CDs with the pictures on them.

At least we still get the current mascot when A:M boots up.

I never thought of the CD being an issue.

I got tired of having to swap it in so I got a second CD drive just to hold the A:M CD. :D

Nowadays with most people on laptops with no CD drive at all it would be hopeless.

Yes, I do like the splash screen/window with the mascot.

Good idea. I never thought of a second drive just for the Hash CD. I have a few of those as backup drives.

Yeah, I have a Mac laptop but I still prefer my Windows desktop. It's nice being able to update graphics cards, sound cards, etc.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, J. Baker said:

• 2 months later...

A few more questions. This is Phatso, I've been lurking forever but now I want to post and I can't log in so I've got a new account and I'm Phattso. Hi Y'all, good to be back. (Never left, actually, wrote 5 textbooks and all the CGI is A:M.)

My version 13 disc suddenly won't boot, says "Log in again with administrator privileges" but I've already done that. Computer guru friend says the last Win7 update probably made it incompatible. For the time being, I'm going to move to an old XP laptop, because I can't afford a learning curve right now - I'm in the middle of a contract project with hundreds of models. But I know it's time to get Win10 and A:M19 installed.

Q1: Will V13 models import and operate correctly in V19?

Q2: Can projects and works in progress be USB-sticked back and forth between one computer with V13 and another with V19?

Q3: If I get a 4k video card, can I get V19 renders to show up with 4k resolution? Will the workspace be 4k? I have a 55" monitor and I really want to make full use of it, which means opening about 10 little windows, which means I need the resolution.

Q4: Is there anyplace on Earth where a complete 1,000+ feature list exists? One of the biggest barriers to improving one's A:M skills beyond a certain point is not even being aware that it can do such a huge variety of things. (And so efficiently! 🥰 )

Hi Phattso,

about the CD problem, please check this:

In the end, yes, it is exactly what your computer guru says. As I understand it, there is a workaround for it, but I am not sure if it still works.

Q1: For v13 and up: In general they open very well. If they will do exactly the same I can not say... I never really compared side by side.

Q2: You will very likely get some notification, that the project was created in a newer version if you move the file and of cause if you added newer features to the file they can not be interpreted in v13, but it works in many cases. I still do not recommend to do this, because it just creates uncertain behaviour.

Q3: I did not try with 4K but with 1440p and that works fine so I do not see why it should not work for 4k. As long as your GPU is powerful enough you should be fine.

Q4: Short answer... no, not really. It just would be too much and I am pretty sure nobody knows all the features ;). A good startingpoint is however the latest info section:
https://forums.hash.com/forum/2-latest-info/

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Hi Phattso, welcome back!

Why, when I was a boy, there was just one t in that name.

Q4: If you should have any "can A:M _______?" questions, the Forum is the place to ask. Sometimes the answer will be "nope" and we have to live with it, but it's OK to ask.

We also do Live Answer Time on Saturdays, Noon CST (1800 GMT)