Hash, Inc. Forums

New AMD Chips

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

AMD stock went up 8% to a new high today on the announcement of new chips

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/7/21/21331824/amd-7nm-ryzen-4000-desktop-chips-apu-processor-prebuilt-systems-intel

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/07/22/amd-targets-oem-market-with-new-ryzen-chips.aspx

Not available for DIYers yet but I presume their previous top-of-the-line desktop will be reduced in price soon.

AMD claims the Ryzen 4000 G-Series chips provide as much as 2.5 times the multi-threaded performance of its previous generation chips. Compared to Intel's i7-9700, an 8-core chip, AMD claims 5% better single-threaded performance, 31% better multi-threaded performance, and triple the graphics performance for its highest-end chip.

AMD's choice to eschew the do-it-yourself PC market initially with these new chips makes sense. In the gaming PC hardware market, branded systems account for about two-thirds of sales, according to Jon Peddie Research. For the broader desktop PC market, that percentage is likely much higher. AMD estimates that the OEM market is four to five times larger than the DIY market.

An 8-core chip that runs up to 4.3GHz yet only produces 35 watts of heat?

I remember going to a show where someone was demonstrating a PC that ran at ... 200MHz! The fan sounded like a vacuum cleaner running and the exhaust felt like a hair dryer set on "high".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• *A:M User*
On 7/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, robcat2075 said:

AMD stock went up 8% to a new high today on the announcement of new chips

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/7/21/21331824/amd-7nm-ryzen-4000-desktop-chips-apu-processor-prebuilt-systems-intel

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/07/22/amd-targets-oem-market-with-new-ryzen-chips.aspx

Not available for DIYers yet but I presume their previous top-of-the-line desktop will be reduced in price soon.

An 8-core chip that runs up to 4.3GHz yet only produces 35 watts of heat?

I remember going to a show where someone was demonstrating a PC that ran at ... 200MHz! The fan sounded like a vacuum cleaner running and the exhaust felt like a hair dryer set on "high".

Once they finally release their 8 core APU (their term for the cpu with onboard graphics) for the DIY crowd,  that is going to be the new bang-for buck standard.   I'm also looking forward to RDNA-2 which is rumored to be 50% faster than the Nvidia 2080ti. 

It will be interesting to see what the stock does, it looked like it was never going to break past $60 so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. 

RDNA-2 which is rumored to be 50% faster than the Nvidia 2080ti.

That is a little optimistic if you ask me, but the AMD line-up is absolutly impressive :).
I have a 5700XT paired with a Ryzen 1700 (overclocked) at home and a 3700X at work (have built about 10 computers at work using 3600 or 3700x recently) and they really are just great.
And just recently got a new HP Probook 445 G7 (with a Ryzen 5 4500u).

I am pretty impressed with all of them ;).

The new APUs seem to be close to the older desktop parts in performance but with a GPU... it is not the best GPU for gamers in there (would not consider buying it for that) but for people who just need a little bit of GPU in it without the need of gaming that should be nice enough and still faster then the iGPUs of intels.

Best regards
*Fuchur*